PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Oops! I deleted my top panel and now I'm lost

KingArthur72076
June 1st, 2010, 09:01 PM
Well I was trying out new stuff and now I remove the top panel. I only been working with Ubuntu for two days so I'm at a lost trying to get around without it. How do I put it back the way it was?

xpluto
June 1st, 2010, 09:04 PM
Have you tried (1) running "killall gnome-panel" to restart the panel, (2) ending and restarting your gnome session, and (3) rebooting your computer?

cj.surrusco
June 1st, 2010, 09:09 PM
Check out this thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=141038
Follow the instructions on how to reset the gnome panel to default.

KingArthur72076
June 1st, 2010, 09:14 PM
Have you tried (1) running "killall gnome-panel" to restart the panel, (2) ending and restarting your gnome session, and (3) rebooting your computer?

I just restarted the computer...still nothing. I don't know how to "killall gnome panel". If I need the terminal to do it, how do I make it come up without the panel?

xpluto
June 1st, 2010, 09:18 PM
press Alt+F2 and type "gnome-terminal"
then insert the command's in terminal

cj.surrusco
June 1st, 2010, 09:31 PM
I just restarted the computer...still nothing. I don't know how to "killall gnome panel". If I need the terminal to do it, how do I make it come up without the panel?

"You might have a scrambled gconf directory.
I have gone to /tmp, removed the gconfd-<username> directory, removed the .gconf* directories under the home directory and then re-logged in.

I was operating on the theory that I was hosed either way. What I got was a vanilla-default login with stock panel contents, but I could then re-customize them."

You did this and it still is the same?

cj.surrusco
June 1st, 2010, 09:34 PM
Also, while you're at the terminal try completely removing gnome-panel and reinstalling.

sudo apt-get purge gnome-panel;sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

ajgreeny
June 1st, 2010, 09:43 PM
I think you should have renamed /home/username/.gconf/apps/panel as a backup and logged out and in again.

That should give you the default two panels again and allow you to customise them as you wish.

KegRaider
June 4th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks ajgreeny,

This worked great for me! Of course, the rename command I used was..

$ cd /home/username/.gconf/apps/panel
$ mv panel backup.panel

I had most of my panel recreated, but just looked bad. Now it's back to defaults and I'm happy again now. Yay

KegRaider.

drpjkurian
June 4th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Hi
please mark the thread as solved

KingArthur72076
June 4th, 2010, 06:40 PM
will do...thanks everyone for the help.