PDA

View Full Version : Linux support in Netflix!!! Why won't they have it?!?

onyxwolf
June 1st, 2010, 06:35 PM
Added on 6/04/10-- Sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/Linflix/petition.html which is currently 5316 strong. Thats 10 more since yesterday!!!--

Original:
Hey all, I just posted a topic at the Netflix forums requesting Linux support. They already had one about it at http://developer.netflix.com/forum/read/49086, but it has been closed and if you read through that, you'll quickly see its simply Netflix refusing to take ownership for being in bed with Microsoft, so I said as much in mine. Where is my post at, you ask? It was deleted almost immediately after I posted.

They are continuing to ignore and silence any request for this since their last post on the subject 6 months ago. How is it possible for those of us who can just as easily "share" such material stay away from these less-than-legal ways when legitimate memberships to such material refuse to support us? And they say its "restrictions placed upon us by the content providers" that are keeping it from happening. A dairy farm can't even produce that much bullcrap! Why would content providers want to make it MORE appealing for those of us who are the most capable of "sharing" and providing "shared" material, to do so? That makes absolutely NO sense what so ever.

My posting for their forum read: "This is not a "pretty darn deep into "Make Me A Sandwich" territory" topic. This is an API Feature Request.
Yes I've read the entirety of your sticky at http://developer.netflix.com/forum/read/49086 and am only posting this in a new topic because you closed that topic, therefor blatantly disregarding your customers who use Linux. Talk about a slap in the face.

That topic is a just making excuses for something that is inexcusable. With 12.3 million customers at the end of 2009 (per http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10443396-93.html) and a projected 13.8 million as of the Q1 2010 (as of date of the article, January 28, 2010) I think netflix has enough customers to DEMAND that Linux support be included in the contracts that they sign. Don't you dare tell me that its the "restrictions placed upon us by the content providers"! At least be a honest enough company to take ownership for things that are your fault and be willing to admit that partnerships with companies like Microsoft (and I'd be willing to bet that Microsoft is the #1 driving force in keeping this from happening) are forcing you to not be able to provide Linux support. It irritates me to know end when a company will not take the blame for its own action, and yes PARTNERING WITH MICROSOFT IS YOUR ACTION!!!

Dishonest companies and the general business practice of blame anyone but yourself is a couple of the main reasons why our great country is so close to total financial destruction.

For my request, I will ask that you Support Linux, or at least take ownership on why you refuse to do so! I also request you keep a Linux support topic open as more people realize the power and capabilities of Linux distros like Ubuntu, you will realize how many customers you are loosing nationally because of this. Even though some will still join (because they have a PS3), their frustrations with trying to get this support will continue to cause a large turnover with us Linux users..."

Thank you for letting me vent my frustrations with this company! Feel free to do the same!

aysiu
June 1st, 2010, 06:41 PM
Why don't you believe it's restrictions placed on Netflix by the content providers? Can you explain that a bit more?

My understanding is that those movie studios that approve certain movies to stream in Netflix want it done with a particular kind of DRM through Microsoft's Silverlight, which is available for Windows and Mac but not through Linux (which has Moonlight, which cannot handle that kind of DRM).

whiskeylover
June 1st, 2010, 06:43 PM
Hey all, I just posted a topic at the Netflix forums requesting Linux support. They already had one about it at http://developer.netflix.com/forum/read/49086, but it has been closed and if you read through that, you'll quickly see its simply Netflix refusing to take ownership for being in bed with Microsoft, so I said as much in mine. Where is my post at, you ask? It was deleted almost immediately after I posted.

They are continuing to ignore and silence any request for this since their last post on the subject 6 months ago. How is it possible for those of us who can just as easily "share" such material stay away from these less-than-legal ways when legitimate memberships to such material refuse to support us? And they say its "restrictions placed upon us by the content providers" that are keeping it from happening. A dairy farm can't even produce that much bullcrap! Why would content providers want to make it MORE appealing for those of us who are the most capable of "sharing" and providing "shared" material, to do so? That makes absolutely NO sense what so ever.

My posting for their forum read: "This is not a "pretty darn deep into "Make Me A Sandwich" territory" topic. This is an API Feature Request.
Yes I've read the entirety of your sticky at http://developer.netflix.com/forum/read/49086 and am only posting this in a new topic because you closed that topic, therefor blatantly disregarding your customers who use Linux. Talk about a slap in the face.

That topic is a just making excuses for something that is inexcusable. With 12.3 million customers at the end of 2009 (per http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10443396-93.html) and a projected 13.8 million as of the Q1 2010 (as of date of the article, January 28, 2010) I think netflix has enough customers to DEMAND that Linux support be included in the contracts that they sign. Don't you dare tell me that its the "restrictions placed upon us by the content providers"! At least be a honest enough company to take ownership for things that are your fault and be willing to admit that partnerships with companies like Microsoft (and I'd be willing to bet that Microsoft is the #1 driving force in keeping this from happening) are forcing you to not be able to provide Linux support. It irritates me to know end when a company will not take the blame for its own action, and yes PARTNERING WITH MICROSOFT IS YOUR ACTION!!!

Dishonest companies and the general business practice of blame anyone but yourself is a couple of the main reasons why our great country is so close to total financial destruction.

For my request, I will ask that you Support Linux, or at least take ownership on why you refuse to do so! I also request you keep a Linux support topic open as more people realize the power and capabilities of Linux distros like Ubuntu, you will realize how many customers you are loosing nationally because of this. Even though some will still join (because they have a PS3), their frustrations with trying to get this support will continue to cause a large turnover with us Linux users..."

Thank you for letting me vent my frustrations with this company! Feel free to do the same!

LOL

1) Netflix can do whatever they want. Your "threat" to quit Netflix isn't going to make any difference. They're not going to change their business model because a tiny percentage of the users want to use Netflix on Linux.

2) Content providers DO put restrictions on how the content can be delivered.

3) You can "blame" them for PARTNERING WITH MICROSOFT as much as you want, but they're not going to change/are obligated to change their business model to suit your needs.

onyxwolf
June 1st, 2010, 06:57 PM
I posted it again asking why it got deleted and it lasted for about 3 mins...

As for your question aysiu, I am going to point you to two different things I've said:

1. "With 12.3 million customers at the end of 2009 (per http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10443396-93.html) and a projected 13.8 million as of the Q1 2010 (as of date of the article, January 28, 2010) I think netflix has enough customers to DEMAND that Linux support be included in the contracts that they sign." I think this logical includes demanding the use of any such DRM as to be ones that is supported within Linux, even if they need to come from restricted repos... It can detect whether it is on a Linux machine already, so why can't they use the Silverlight DRM's for non-Linux and other "do-able in Linux" DRMs if it is?

2. "Why would content providers want to make it MORE appealing for those of us who are the most capable of "sharing" and providing "shared" material, to do so? That makes absolutely NO sense what so ever." That speaks for it self.

aysiu
June 1st, 2010, 07:01 PM
1. "With 12.3 million customers at the end of 2009 (per http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10443396-93.html) and a projected 13.8 million as of the Q1 2010 (as of date of the article, January 28, 2010) I think netflix has enough customers to DEMAND that Linux support be included in the contracts that they sign." They can demand all they want. As I said before, these restrictions are from the content providers, not from Netflix.

I think this logical includes demanding the use of any such DRM as to be ones that is supported within Linux, even if they need to come from restricted repos... It can detect whether it is on a Linux machine already, so why can't they use the Silverlight DRM's for non-Linux and other "do-able in Linux" DRMs if it is? It hasn't been implemented in Moonlight yet. I'm not sure who's in charge of that... Microsoft?

2. "Why would content providers want to make it MORE appealing for those of us who are the most capable of "sharing" and providing "shared" material, to do so? That makes absolutely NO sense what so ever." That speaks for it self. Well DRM makes no sense, but content providers are big fans of it. Don't ask me. Again, not Netflix's decision.

undecim
June 1st, 2010, 07:05 PM
The same reason that Blueray is not support in Linux: The people in Hollywood who decide on these things are fools who care only about money and not their customers. Because of that, they are alienating their customers and losing money, but can't admit that they're wrong. They refuse to change with the times.

DRM and Linux are natural enemies, and until companies realize that there's no point to having DRM on their products, things like Netflix won't work in Linux without hacks.

whiskeylover
June 1st, 2010, 07:06 PM
1. "With 12.3 million customers at the end of 2009 (per http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10443396-93.html) and a projected 13.8 million as of the Q1 2010 (as of date of the article, January 28, 2010) I think netflix has enough customers to DEMAND that Linux support be included in the contracts that they sign." I think this logical includes demanding the use of any such DRM as to be ones that is supported within Linux, even if they need to come from restricted repos... It can detect whether it is on a Linux machine already, so why can't they use the Silverlight DRM's for non-Linux and other "do-able in Linux" DRMs if it is?

Obviously, not enough of those 13.8 million users want Netflix on Linux.
Microsoft developed Silverlight for Windows, not Netflix. So, why would Netflix waste their time developing DRM decoders for Linux when < 1% of its users use Linux?

onyxwolf
June 1st, 2010, 07:08 PM
LOL

1) Netflix can do whatever they want. Your "threat" to quit Netflix isn't going to make any difference. They're not going to change their business model because a tiny percentage of the users want to use Netflix on Linux.

And why is it that Linux users are such a "tiny percentage"? It couldn't be because of lack of support from applications and services such as Netflix could it?

2) Content providers DO put restrictions on how the content can be delivered.

I'm not arguing against that I am asking why "content providers" would refuse an entire portion of legitimate customers service? Because they care that its used by Silverlight? I doubt it.

3) You can "blame" them for PARTNERING WITH MICROSOFT as much as you want, but they're not going to change/are obligated to change their business model to suit your needs.

To suit MY NEEDS? Talk about "blatantly disregarding your (Netflix's) customers who use Linux. Talk about a slap in the face." Are attempting to imply in some way that I'm the only Linux user who would LIKE to use Netflix on their laptop?

aysiu
June 1st, 2010, 07:09 PM
The same reason that Blueray is not support in Linux: The people in Hollywood who decide on these things are fools who care only about money and not their customers. Because of that, they are alienating their customers and losing money, but can't admit that they're wrong. They refuse to change with the times. I think it's more about the appearance of caring about money. DRM does not stop piracy. Everyone I know who wants to pirate still pirates. Everyone I know who accesses proprietary content legitimately just finds DRM annoying.

whiskeylover
June 1st, 2010, 07:17 PM
To suit MY NEEDS? Talk about "blatantly disregarding your (Netflix's) customers who use Linux. Talk about a slap in the face." Are attempting to imply in some way that I'm the only Linux user who would LIKE to use Netflix on their laptop?

Yes, absolutely to suit your needs.

Consider this. Say, you have a flower shop that sells red roses, and have 100 customers. One customer though wants blue roses, and is angry that you wont go out of your way to get them for him. Now you *might* say that its your policy to make sure all your customers are satisfied, and you spend hundreds of dollars to get blue roses for him, and get one more positive review. Or, you say "Screw you, we don't sell blue roses. Buy these red ones if you want, or f*** off." Whatever you do, its your decision to make. The other guy isn't entitled to anything.

onyxwolf
June 1st, 2010, 07:17 PM
Obviously, not enough of those 13.8 million users want Netflix on Linux.
Microsoft developed Silverlight for Windows, not Netflix. So, why would Netflix waste their time developing DRM decoders for Linux when < 1% of its users use Linux?
< 1% is that a fact? Where did you get this fact? Is it one I'm supposed to just swallow? Of 20 people of whom I know enough to know what OSes they use, 10 use Ubuntu in some way. So my experience is closer to %50 of computer users use Linux.

Of course I'M NOT THAT NAIVE, but say it is 1% that's 138,000 people. If all of them ONLY had the minimal subscription at $8.99 thats $14,887,440 of annual accounts receivable. Seems to me to be a decent chunk of change.

whiskeylover
June 1st, 2010, 07:21 PM
< 1% is that a fact? Where did you get this fact? Is it one I'm supposed to just swallow? Of 20 people of whom I know enough to know what OSes they use, 10 use Ubuntu in some way. So my experience is closer to %50 of computer users use Linux.

Of course I'M NOT THAT NAIVE, but say it is 1% that's 138,000 people. If all of them ONLY had the minimal subscription at $8.99 thats $14,887,440 of annual accounts receivable. Seems to me to be a decent chunk of change.

Even if its a bazillion dollars, its still 1%. Also, since those people who use Linux are still with Netflix, they're obviously dual booting, or use a PS3/Wii to stream online. If they wanted to leave, they would've left long ago.

onyxwolf
June 1st, 2010, 07:38 PM
I think it's more about the appearance of caring about money. DRM does not stop piracy. Everyone I know who wants to pirate still pirates. Everyone I know who accesses proprietary content legitimately just finds DRM annoying.

I couldn't agree more! I just have to use my HEFTY machine at home with Ubuntu and an XP VBox, while recording my session (I don't do it personally but I know desktop recorders are available) and watch something off of netflix, now I have a "sharable" version of what I watched. Does that help me watch something on my laptop which I can barely afford to give the minimal 256 MB RAM to my VBox? No, it doesn't!

undecim:

DRM and Linux are natural enemies

I think as Linux distros grow and the general public begins to use them more, such DRM measurements will deter the general public from piracy. I can see the point of keeping the uneducated (in the computer arts) modest. So their needs to be a way to include Linux in these digital restrictions managements.

LowSky
June 1st, 2010, 07:38 PM
Do I have issues with Netflix's choice of DRM, yes, but I also have issue with people who steal things because they don't feel like paying.

I use Netflix and stream the On Demand stuff to my PS3, it isn't great but it works. I'm actually thinking of stopping my membetship not over DRM, but over content availibility. I figure I can watch 3-4 moives a month for the same price fom my cable company or PS3, and not wait a month or two for a new movie to become availible to ship to me. MythTV and Hulu fill in my missed shows.

Shakz
June 1st, 2010, 07:44 PM
I wonder how they do DRM on the RoKu thing they sell and the wii as they are both nix.
I only have 1 windows machine in my house (wifes laptop). With the wii in the playroom, the ps3 in the bedroom, and the blueray in the living room that all play netflix...I am good.
Sure I wish they supported linux but they sell a great service and for 9 bucks a month its a flippen steal!
Just like ubuntu is a great OS thats a steal while it may be a minor inconvenience sometimes its a godsend most!

Sorry that them not supporting linux burns you up so much.

It does still look watchable running seamless XP in virtualbox though. Give it a shot.

onyxwolf
June 1st, 2010, 07:48 PM
If they wanted to leave, they would've left long ago.

I personally believe they are, as I said earlier, "their frustrations with trying to get this support will continue to cause a large turnover with us Linux users..."

How many refuse to join because of the lack of Linux support?

How many quit after their two-week trial (or month or however long) because of it?

I would be willing to bet a good amount. I bet a few of them were providers of "shared" material that started feeling guilty about what they were doing, but when they quit, they went back to providing for many many more, and feeling less guilty about it since the movie industry turned their back on us...

Stancel
June 1st, 2010, 07:51 PM
Luckily I have an Xbox 360 I watch Netflix on. It also works if you have a Wii or PS3.

I know Xbox 360 is from Microsoft but I only really feel their crappy product is Windows, I think they made a decent video game console, and I prefer the 360 to the PS3 or Wii.

onyxwolf
June 1st, 2010, 07:54 PM
Sorry that them not supporting linux burns you up so much.

It does still look watchable running seamless XP in virtualbox though. Give it a shot.

Nothing to be sorry about! To each their own! Its just another widely used application/service without Linux support that drives down Linux usability. Just the way Apple and MS like it!

I haven't tried VBox in seemless mode, but something tells me my lappie still won't handle it...

onyxwolf
June 1st, 2010, 08:06 PM
Luckily I have an Xbox 360 I watch Netflix on. It also works if you have a Wii or PS3.

I know Xbox 360 is from Microsoft but I only really feel their crappy product is Windows, I think they made a decent video game console, and I prefer the 360 to the PS3 or Wii.

PS3 ALL THE WAY BABY!!!! JK I haven't owned a 360 yet so can't make that as a justified statement, but I can say that I love my PS3.

BTW I am not saying that I will leave Netflix (because the Mrs. won't let me, otherwise I would out of principle).

I left once when they started xbox 360 support because it did not support ps3, and that was big enough of a fight, in which I promised her we would return to it once they supported the PS3. Now that they support it (albeit kinda crappy support! whats up with having to insert a disk every time for something that should be an application!?!), I have fulfilled my promise.

earthpigg
June 1st, 2010, 08:14 PM
i'd love to use netflix -- ive heard great things about it from friends. it would make movie consumption more convenient for me.

however, it isn't worth the price of purchasing microsoft windows for each of my computers.

so be it - one way or another, ill watch whatever movies i wish to watch whenever i want to. if big business refuses to take my money, that is their choice and their problem.

cheers.

98cwitr
June 1st, 2010, 08:20 PM
Where can I post my .02 for Netflix? I just signed up and I really want support (Moonlight or not) for Netflix on Linux. And this business for having the streaming app built into XBOX and having to have this dumbass disk to stream on PS3 is completely retarded.

sdowney717
June 1st, 2010, 08:24 PM
MS inertia ball keeps rolling along.

http://mind-crafter.blogspot.com/2010/01/windows-vs-linux-vs-freebsd-vs-osx-12.html

98cwitr
June 1st, 2010, 08:45 PM
MS inertia ball keeps rolling along.

http://mind-crafter.blogspot.com/2010/01/windows-vs-linux-vs-freebsd-vs-osx-12.html

sounds like the author was a FreeBSD fanboi :p

onyxwolf
June 1st, 2010, 08:56 PM
if big business refuses to take my money, that is their choice and their problem.

APPLAUSE =D> well said sir or ma'am!!! Well said. I'd be right beside you, if I wouldn't have blown my promise to go back on PS3 support... Spouses, can't live with them, can't reload them with Ubuntu, can't live without them!

snowpine
June 1st, 2010, 10:11 PM
Funny, I just googled "netflix system requirements" and found this:

What are the system requirements to watch movies instantly on my PC or Mac?

You must have a computer running Windows or Mac OS X and an active broadband connection to the Internet.

So Netflix does not falsely claim, promise, advertise, or recommend watching movies instantly for Linux users. If you feel they are ripping you off, it's your fault for not reading the FAQ. ;)

yester64
June 1st, 2010, 10:22 PM
I posted it again asking why it got deleted and it lasted for about 3 mins...

As for your question aysiu, I am going to point you to two different things I've said:

2. "Why would content providers want to make it MORE appealing for those of us who are the most capable of "sharing" and providing "shared" material, to do so? That makes absolutely NO sense what so ever." That speaks for it self.

1) your source does not imply any linux users. These user represent most likely a very marginal portion of users.
I do wish too that i can view movies on my linux desktop, but that will not happen soon. Unless we get DRM with moonlight.

2) Stars is a big content provider. They can pretty much say and demand what they like.
Netflix attempts to outsmart them, but in the near future netflix compete perhaps with Apple on the streaming front.

None of these option include remotely linux.
Sadly, Linux is not in the frontseat in regard of streaming or any DRM content. There are exeption namely Hulu. But they only provide their own content.

I still hope i see the day i can view movies via Netflix on my desktop. Till then i watch it on TV (via Xbox). :)

yester64
June 1st, 2010, 10:26 PM

Hey, how can you defrag the HD in a Xbox? Every day i hear the harddrive crunching the data.
Well, that was off topic.:rolleyes:

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 2nd, 2010, 12:48 AM
<sarcasm> If I were one of the Movie labels, and holding on to the idea that DRM was actually doing something beneficial, I wouldn't what Linux users to have access to my property. Linux gives the user to much freedom to do what they want with their computers. It doesn't put graphics in a degraded mode if the detected devices don't meet my standards. Linux users can pipe the output of one program to another fairly easily. They are a small minority that I can live without. </sarcasm>

I have computers connected to big screen flat panel TVs that run the OEM pre-installed Microsoft Windows so that my wife, children, and grandchildren can use Netflix. Personally, I can live without Netflix. I always get Microsoft Windows pre-installed anyway; because, all of the computers I've priced with no OS or Linux OS pre-installed are more expensive for the hardware you get. No, I don't have the time nor the interest in building my own rig. Am I worried about security, not really, the computers connected to the TVs are only used for media. They are patched regularly, they are behind a router, they have anti-malware and firewalls, etc. I also use VLANs to subdivide my network. All the other computers on my network run Linux, and have firewalls enabled.

onyxwolf
June 3rd, 2010, 04:15 PM
Maybe, despite it being completely against logic, it isn't all Netflix's fault. Its just frustrating that they (whether its Netflix and a partnership with the devil [aka Microsoft] or the entire movie/TV industry) refuse to provide for Linux.

And that's what I said from the get go is that I was venting said frustrations... What is truly sad is that many of you act as though, its ok that they do refuse support for us, despite the wrongful nature of the act of discriminating against us because we don't like MS, Apple, or paying for an OS.

I wonder if we use a wii emulator and an image of our wii disk, will it work then?

Frak
June 3rd, 2010, 05:41 PM
sounds like the author was a FreeBSD fanboi :p
I agree. That was a whole lot of bias (and unverified claims).

Netflix will not provide Linux support for a long time. They can't do anything about it, and with Linux's marketshare being so incredibly small, they couldn't do any strongarming even if they cared.

People wondering how the Roku box works: You can get the GPL sources here (http://www.roku.com/support/gpl_rdvp), but I'm pretty sure it decrypts using the built in NXP chip.

How many quit after their two-week trial (or month or however long) because of it?

Few to none.

bpny
June 3rd, 2010, 06:02 PM
Netflix founder and CEO Reed Hastings is a member of Microsoft's board of directors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_Hastings That's why they use silverlight and why you won't be watching from Ubuntu untill Steve and Bill say you can.

Frak
June 3rd, 2010, 06:18 PM
Netflix founder and CEO Reed Hastings is a member of Microsoft's board of directors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_Hastings That's why they use silverlight and why you won't be watching from Ubuntu untill Steve and Bill say you can.
This also explains why you can't watch Netflix on Mac, PS3, or Wii then. Oh well.

yester64
June 3rd, 2010, 08:08 PM
This also explains why you can't watch Netflix on Mac, PS3, or Wii then. Oh well.

You can. I have a friend who watches netflix through his Wii.

aysiu
June 3rd, 2010, 08:16 PM
You can. I have a friend who watches netflix through his Wii.
Frak left off the [sarcasm] tags

neu5eeCh
June 3rd, 2010, 08:48 PM
Others, including me, have managed to watch Netflix "on linux" using VirtualBox. The only issue is the speed of your computer. If you have a slower processor, then the picture and sound may range from jerky to unusable.

For the record, I dual boot (into my increasingly seldom-used Windows 7) - but I wanted to watch it on Linux just to find out if I could. And I could.

aysiu
June 3rd, 2010, 08:51 PM
If you really want to do something about it, get people organized. Just posting in this thread over and over again that you are right and other people are "sad" doesn't really get streaming Netflix on Linux any sooner.

For more details, see Quit Facebook Day was a Success Even as it Flopped (http://www.pcworld.com/article/197686/quit_facebook_day_was_a_success_even_as_it_flopped .html)

If you're really serious about it, start a movement where all the Linux Netflix users pick one day that they'll quit Netflix. Even if half or most of them decide to rejoin Netflix the following week, that one day will show Netflix just how many Linux customers there are, draw media attention to the issue, and give Netflix some concrete numbers to bring back to the content providers.

lostinxlation
June 3rd, 2010, 09:26 PM
Well. it might be a great business opportunity if you think supporting Linux for DVD streaming service can be profittable..

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 4th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Others, including me, have managed to watch Netflix "on linux" using VirtualBox. The only issue is the speed of your computer. If you have a slower processor, then the picture and sound may range from jerky to unusable.

For the record, I dual boot (into my increasingly seldom-used Windows 7) - but I wanted to watch it on Linux just to find out if I could. And I could.

I think the OP wants Netflix to support Linux natively. With VirtualBox, you are still running a Microsoft Windows OS. :)

onyxwolf
June 4th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I didn't say that anyone here is "sad" , just that it was a sad fact, but aysiu that might be a really good idea. I may just try that I'll give it a couple more months and see if anything else comes up.

BTW don't forget to sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/Linflix/petition.html which is currently 5300 strong.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 4th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I wonder if we use a wii emulator and an image of our wii disk, will it work then?

If the wii emulator supports DRMed silverlight content then I would thinks so. I have no experience with a wii emulator.

Moonlight will support silverlight content as long as the silverlight content doesn't use DRM.

Netflix, like Youtube, does not develop the applications used to view the content they provide. Until someone develops an application for Linux that supports the DRM in silverlight; then, we will not be able to watch natively.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 4th, 2010, 01:21 AM
BTW don't forget to sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/Linflix/petition.html which is currently 5300 strong.

From the petition,

It is also unfair that the only supported browser is Internet Explorer. Firefox has a considerable market share and is a viable alternative for Internet Explorer users.
That part is not true. Netflix works best on my computer using Firefox. When I use IE, it buffers a lot.

A better petition might mention all the new Mobil Devices that use a Linux OS; e.g., phones.

Frak
June 4th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Let me just say something:

Online polls don't do anything.

onyxwolf
June 4th, 2010, 03:54 PM
OGW I would imagine that petition was started before support was given to Firefox. With support now available for Firefox, I would imagine that it would be much better than IE. ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN IE!!! If you look through the petition, you'll see that even from the beginning it has been mainly signed by people with Linux distros. From the little I looked at it, it looked to be mainly Ubuntu users even.

I completely agree with that a Netflix app on the Android OS would definitely be a noteworthy cause.

OGW:

Netflix, like Youtube, does not develop the applications used to view the content they provide.

It seems to me that the Playstation streaming disk is a custom application. Even if not, why can't they. Their claim on the API forums is that they "We want to delight our subscribers. We are always looking for new ways to improve the service".

Frak:

Online polls don't do anything

That's not true look at the guy who got Betty White to host Saturday Night Live because of a petition on Facebook! Thats not a HUGE example, but it is an example that negates your statement.

chrisinspace
June 4th, 2010, 04:35 PM

Few to none.

Maybe I'm only one of a few, but I have no interest in Netflix until they offer Linux support. They have a Linux client that works in Tivo and Roku boxes, so I think they could come up with an installable Linux client that meets their requirements. For now, I use the Blockbuster mail service because at least I can use their value-added service (free rentals at the store). The media machine hooked to my TV is Ubuntu, so I would switch to Netflix if I could stream to a Linux computer.

Frak
June 4th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Maybe I'm only one of a few, but I have no interest in Netflix until they offer Linux support. They have a Linux client that works in Tivo and Roku boxes, so I think they could come up with an installable Linux client that meets their requirements. For now, I use the Blockbuster mail service because at least I can use their value-added service (free rentals at the store). The media machine hooked to my TV is Ubuntu, so I would switch to Netflix if I could stream to a Linux computer.
Netflix did not create the TiVo or Roku versions. TiVo and Roku created their own Netflix client, Netflix approved and deemed it was too difficult for a computer user to intercept the decoded stream.

onyxwolf
June 4th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Netflix did not create the TiVo or Roku versions. TiVo and Roku created their own Netflix client, Netflix approved and deemed it was too difficult for a computer user to intercept the decoded stream.

How is that application branded? Hmmm... Do they say Netflix when you open it up, because if its anything like any of their other apps, it has Netflix all over it. Regardless of who made it, it is branded Netflix so it is Netflix's as far as I am concerned.

Oh and I wasn't going to comment on your sarcastic
This also explains why you can't watch Netflix on Mac, PS3, or Wii then. Oh well. comment, but since your being negative Fraky over there... What is one thing that those three platforms have in common? Try multi-billion dollar companies that can shovel big bucks Netflix's and Microsoft's way to get it on their platforms. I highly doubt Canonical has that kind of resources to pay nearly what Apple, Sony, and Nintendo is paying for Netflix's support...

Frak
June 4th, 2010, 05:06 PM
How is that application branded? Hmmm... Do they say Netflix when you open it up, because if its anything like any of their other apps, it has Netflix all over it. Regardless of who made it, it is branded Netflix so it is Netflix's as far as I am concerned.

If it meets Netflix's guidelines, it is approved for their branding, the same way I could use many trademarks as long as I met their policies.

Oh and I wasn't going to comment on your sarcastic comment, but since your being negative Fraky over there... What is one thing that those three platforms have in common? Try multi-billion dollar companies that can shovel big bucks Netflix's and Microsoft's way to get it on their platforms. I highly doubt Canonical has that kind of resources to pay nearly what Apple, Sony, and Nintendo is paying for Netflix's support...

Who doesn't understand capitalism: You.

onyxwolf
June 4th, 2010, 05:06 PM
PLEASE sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/Linflix/petition.html which is currently 5316 strong. Thats 10 more since yesterday and 30+ since I signed it two days ago!!!

Frak
June 4th, 2010, 05:13 PM
PLEASE sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/Linflix/petition.html which is currently 5316 strong. Thats 10 more since yesterday and 30+ since I signed it two days ago!!!
Unless you can show that there was no stuffing, you would need about 1 million signatures to have any kind of dent.

onyxwolf
June 4th, 2010, 05:18 PM

The fact is that you were trying to make a point that it wasn't because of Reed Hastings that we weren't getting support on Linux, but with your comment it seems now that you DO believe it was for the money??? Which is it?

And since you open THAT can of worms, I understand capitalism just fine. I understand that it is failing because of dishonorable and dishonest companies that will make money anyway they can, including screwing their customers, their lower-level employees, and anyone that gets in their way. Absolutely NOBODY can argue that Microsoft has always been (or is now for that matter) an honest company...

I am an extreme conservative and absolutely hate the fact that I just admitted that it is failing, but hate even more that government came in and tried to "bail-out" such companies, and yes every company that touched bail-out money are such companies. They should have let them all bankrupt and die. We would be in a better spot for it now.

But that's not what this thread is about so I'm dropping it now.

onyxwolf
June 4th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Unless you can show that there was no stuffing, you would need about 1 million signatures to have any kind of dent.

Okay negative Fraky, you going to help me get that million, or you just going to sit there and be negative?

Frak
June 4th, 2010, 05:26 PM
The fact is that you were trying to make a point that it wasn't because of Reed Hastings that we weren't getting support on Linux, but with your comment it seems now that you DO believe it was for the money??? Which is it?

Can he sway the companies to support Linux? No. Can he sway companies to support Wii/PS3? Of course, they have large followings.

He'll do anything he needs to increase profits.

Frak
June 4th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Okay negative Fraky, you going to help me get that million, or you just going to sit there and be negative?
I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic. If you want real change, organize something that they'll see directly. Do something that lets them know that you mean business. Until then, you might as well be writing on leaves.

aysiu
June 4th, 2010, 05:32 PM
If you want real change, organize something that they'll see directly. Do something that lets them know that you mean business. I gave onyxwolf a recommendation back in post #36 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9405744#post9405744).

onyxwolf
June 4th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Yep, and I plan on attempting to organize such a demonstration. I'm going to give it a couple months, maybe mid August so it will be late summer and people should be out enjoying themselves instead of watching movies and such anyway. I'm thinking about how to for now.

Frak:
Realistic:
If you want real change, organize something that they'll see directly. Do something that lets them know that you mean busines

Negative:
Until then, you might as well be writing on leaves.

Online polls don't do anything.

While I appreciate realism, I don't negativity. Any realistic constructive comments are always welcome... Even if I don't agree, it makes for healthy debate :grin: , but negative remarks cause defensive responses, which are hardly ever constructive.

aysiu
June 4th, 2010, 06:28 PM
While I appreciate realism, I don't negativity. Any realistic constructive comments are always welcome... Read post #36. That's really the only way you're going to get anywhere.

onyxwolf
June 4th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I did, and it is an excellent idea, but it needs to be planned and advertised... Maybe we can get Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory to talk about it :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:8-):-\" JK...

I do want to find out how Netflix will reimburse or charge for someone unsubscribing one-day then re-subscribing the following day. I don't want to screw anyone out of money!

Frak
June 4th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I did, and it is an excellent idea, but it needs to be planned and advertised... Maybe we can get Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory to talk about it :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:8-):-\" JK...

I do want to find out how Netflix will reimburse or charge for someone unsubscribing one-day then re-subscribing the following day. I don't want to screw anyone out of money!
There would be no change in billing.

toupeiro
June 4th, 2010, 06:47 PM
If you really want to do something about it, get people organized. Just posting in this thread over and over again that you are right and other people are "sad" doesn't really get streaming Netflix on Linux any sooner.

For more details, see Quit Facebook Day was a Success Even as it Flopped (http://www.pcworld.com/article/197686/quit_facebook_day_was_a_success_even_as_it_flopped .html)

If you're really serious about it, start a movement where all the Linux Netflix users pick one day that they'll quit Netflix. Even if half or most of them decide to rejoin Netflix the following week, that one day will show Netflix just how many Linux customers there are, draw media attention to the issue, and give Netflix some concrete numbers to bring back to the content providers.

I'd like to help campaign this, if there is any movement already starting...

onyxwolf
June 4th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Well I just got off the phone with a Customer service rep. who was a little confused. I am pretty sure Frak is right though. If an account is closed on one day and re-opened on another, you have already payed for your month, so as long as you re-open THE EXACT SAME ACCOUNT, then you should be good.

Is that what you are thinking Frak?

Anyone know the quickest way to get your account number?

Do you think August 10th would be enough time to really get the word out?

Frak
June 4th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Well I just got off the phone with a Customer service rep. who was a little confused. I am pretty sure Frak is right though. If an account is closed on one day and re-opened on another, you have already payed for your month, so as long as you re-open THE EXACT SAME ACCOUNT, then you should be good.

Is that what you are thinking Frak?

I canceled my account one month when I thought it would be smart to end my subscription (save about eight bucks). Later that day, I decided it was cheap enough and decided to reopen it. My statement never changed.

Grifulkin
June 4th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Oh can I make a suggestion, just watch the DVD's instead of streaming, to be honest how many people stream movies, most people I know that have netflix still just watch the dvds. This is not to mention the fact that most every computer that isn't a netbook comes with a dvd player and you could watch it on your computer still, what a shocker.

onyxwolf
June 4th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Cool thanks for the confirmation on that Frak.

Grifulkin, that's stepping back isn't it? When I first left Netflix a couple years ago, their streaming content SUCKED! But now its getting a lot better, and who wants to wait for movies in the mail? Besides, I don't tend to take stuff like DVDs that if I loose I'll have to pay for, with me when I go places. On the go, most of us here use Linux on our lappies, until we want to watch Netflix.