PDA

View Full Version : Left buttons trend

kaldor
June 1st, 2010, 02:58 PM
I noticed Vinux (Linux for Visually Impaired, based on Ubuntu) uses left buttons like Ubuntu does.

Mint offers the option.

Any more distros doing this? I kinda like this :)

Ric_NYC
June 1st, 2010, 03:44 PM
I don't like it.

pwnst*r
June 1st, 2010, 03:48 PM
I'm glad it can be reverted back.

RiceMonster
June 1st, 2010, 03:48 PM
I think it's pretty much just Ubuntu spinoffs going that way.

Meep3D
June 1st, 2010, 04:07 PM
I think it's pretty much just Ubuntu spinoffs going that way.

It seems silly. One of the main issues with the new layout is it clusters common functions with destructive actions, there is only about 6px between the file menu and closing what you are doing.

I remember helping someone with severe motor control issues to use a computer and this is just an accident waiting to happen in that context.

frankbooth
June 1st, 2010, 04:08 PM
I like the switch to the left, but that's mostly because I use globalmenu :)

kaldor
June 1st, 2010, 04:22 PM
I agree with the destructiveness of it, but I have never messed up with them yet. I use OS X and Linux on a regular basis, so I am used to them on the left and sometimes on the right. I usually move my buttons to the left, even before I bought a Mac.

zuerston
June 1st, 2010, 07:11 PM
You have a choice of the button position in the desktop, right click menu, themes. I use the stock Radiance theme and it has right and left button positions.

chris200x9
June 1st, 2010, 07:41 PM
personally I feel it's just like: "macs are cool, we're cool we'll be like macs!" I mean windows buttons are on the left (90% market share) almost every linux distro has them on the right. I think it's just being different for the sake of being different.

Craig Magner
June 1st, 2010, 07:44 PM
I've switched them back on my Ubuntu installation, now I feel at home again (Sort of)

98cwitr
June 1st, 2010, 07:56 PM
left-sided window controls are FTL

Duncan J Murray
June 1st, 2010, 07:59 PM
I agree that there is the potential for more trouble, but I haven't actually made a mistake yet. Now I'm used to it I find it quicker as I don't need to go up to the top right except when shutting down.

I grew up on Workbench for the Amiga, which had close on the left and maximise on the right!

Duncan

tad1073
June 1st, 2010, 08:01 PM
The correct left-side layout

close,maximize,minimize:menu

ever since Ubuntu switched the layout and using it for a couple of months, right hand side layout feels awkward.