PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] LD_LIBRARY_PATH in Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid.

jiapei100
June 1st, 2010, 11:18 AM
Hi, I changed my /etc/environment to

PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin"
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib/jni"
JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun"
CLASSPATH="/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/lib:."

I hope my Eclipse should be able to find java3d, because

jiapei@jiapei-laptop:/usr/lib/jni$ ls
libgluegen-rt.so libjava-access-bridge-jni.so.0.0.0 libjogl.so libswt-pi-gtk-3555.so
libj3dcore-ogl.so libJavaEditline.so libswt-atk-gtk-3555.so
libjava-access-bridge-jni.so libJavaReadline.so libswt-awt-gtk-3555.so
libjava-access-bridge-jni.so.0 libjogl_awt.so libswt-gtk-3555.so

According to some instructions on the internet, if I set LD_LIBRARY+PATH in /etc/environment, java should be able to search the native code when required.
But, this never works any longer in Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid.
This is absolutely strange.

And, even after a fresh rebooting, Ubuntu Lucid won't be able to find "$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" at all

jiapei@jiapei-laptop:/etc$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin
jiapei@jiapei-laptop:/etc$ echo $CLASSPATH
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/lib:.
jiapei@jiapei-laptop:/etc$ echo $JAVA_HOME
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
jiapei@jiapei-laptop:/etc$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

jiapei@jiapei-laptop:/etc$

As you may have noticed, there is an empty line after
echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Did anybody else meet the same problem?
Does Ubuntu Lucid abandon the variable $LD_LIBRARY_PATH?
But, there must be something else as a replacement, right?

Can anybody give me a hand??

Best Regards
JIA

Emanuele_Z
June 12th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hi, apparently (sadly) LD_LIBRARY_PATH doesn't work anymore in Lucid Lynx :(

Does anyone have more news about it?

Cheers,

derrekito
June 19th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Bump!!

mwolfe
July 8th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I'm having the same issue. I added a line to my .profile file, as I did with my path and a few other things.. All of them are set after logging in but the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is always empty.. If i manually source this file it will get set. It seems something that is sourced after .profile is clearing this variable. I double checked that my .profile is getting sourced by having it create a file, and when I logged out/back in the file was created, but my LD_LIBRARY_PATH was not set. I need this to be set because I've developed a QT application and its annoying to have to run it from within QT creator everytime or manually set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in my terminal. Any ideas why this gets cleared and perhaps what the correct solution is for this?

davidmohammed
July 8th, 2010, 10:58 PM
as far as I understand it, a global LD_LIBRARY_PATH value is no longer used by lucid due to perceived security issues. If you do want to add new library paths you should now create your own .conf file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d
and add your folder to that file followed by

ldconfig -v

or you can add your folder to /etc/ld.so.conf

e.g.
echo "include /usr/local/lib" | sudo tee -a /etc/ld.so.conf
sudo ldconfig -v

msntrf
August 25th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I understand how to use ld.so.conf.d/ to set linked libraries. However, am I correct in thinking this is NOT how one can set Java's java.library.path? That is, directories I add to ld.so.conf.d/*.conf do not show up in java.library.path. Am I doing something wrong or is this the intended behavior?

If it is intended, what is the recommended way of setting java.library.path? Do I have to do it by either exporting LD_LIBRARY_PATH right before running a Java program or by passing -Djava.library.path= to the JVM? Is there a system-wide method?

Thanks in advance!