PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Winamp's windowshade feature

hoodaman
June 1st, 2010, 08:40 AM
Does anyone know of any native media players that have a windowshade feature in them like Winamp 5 whereby the entire player condenses down to the side of a toolbar that you can stretch the width of the screen?

ex: http://www.aolcdn.com/winamp/winamp-windowshade-mode.jpg

thanks in advance :)

cybrsaylr
June 1st, 2010, 04:33 PM
Fedora used that windowshade feature on everything in the past when I used the Fedora distro years ago. I liked that windowshade feature but as far as I know Winamp is the only player that uses windowshade. Audacious2 the Linux version of Winamp does not use the windowshade feature.

hoodaman
June 2nd, 2010, 12:46 AM
I think I've found a suitable enough replacement for this. What I've done is just created a panel along the bottom and populated it with pan flute. Seems to be the same thing basically.

cascade9
June 2nd, 2010, 01:03 AM
I *think* you can customise the layout of VLC to be similar.

Fedora used that windowshade feature on everything in the past when I used the Fedora distro years ago. I liked that windowshade feature but as far as I know Winamp is the only player that uses windowshade. Audacious2 the Linux version of Winamp does not use the windowshade feature.

There is a plugin for foobar that does pretty much the same thing.

BTW, amarok isnt really 'the linux version of winamp' ;)

Chronon
June 2nd, 2010, 08:16 AM
Audacious has a window-shade mode similar to Winamp 2.x.

cybrsaylr
June 2nd, 2010, 04:17 PM
BTW, amarok isnt really 'the linux version of winamp' ;)
I know that.
Amarok is a different player from Audacious2 and Audacious2 looks a lot like earlier versions of Winamp.

hoodaman
June 3rd, 2010, 05:44 AM
I *think* you can customise the layout of VLC to be similar.

yeah. I tried that but I never could get it *just* the way I wanted it. That and I couldn't auto-hide it like a toolbar or anything, hence my idea of a gnome panel applet to control another player.

I could just use winamp 5 through wine but it doesn't update the currently playing track and it doesn't autohide when running through wine.

cascade9
June 3rd, 2010, 02:09 PM
yeah. I tried that but I never could get it *just* the way I wanted it. That and I couldn't auto-hide it like a toolbar or anything, hence my idea of a gnome panel applet to control another player.

LOL, after I posted I actually tried making VLC look sort of like what you wanted, and its not as easy as I thought it would be.

I really need to poke at VLC some more, and see if I can make it look the way I would like for an audio player. Not would help you, if you like the 'minimal' view then my perfered setup, with album art display etc would be ugly (BTW, I'm always amused that all the album art displays I see on linux media plyers are tiny little things..whats the point of tiny album art?)