PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] php: options in exec() don't seem to work

fairieswearboots
June 1st, 2010, 08:05 AM
hi there,

i'm trying to do exec('ivtv-tune -f 100') in php but it seems like it won't except the '-f 100' part. I've tried escaping it or using quotes around it but i can't get it to work.

Does anybody have a solution to this? Thanks for reading.

new_tolinux
June 1st, 2010, 08:09 AM
i'm trying to do exec('ivtv-tune -f 100') in php but it seems like it won't except the '-f 100' part. I've tried escaping it or using quotes around it but i can't get it to work.
I'm assuming you mean "accept" instead of "except"?

Have you tried to use that same command in terminal? What's it saying there?

fairieswearboots
June 1st, 2010, 08:17 AM
I'm assuming you mean "accept" instead of "except"?

Have you tried to use that same command in terminal? What's it saying there?

oh lol, i mean accept (sorry, i'm on a phone). Yes it works with regular command line. When i use it with php, it returns all the options and arguments i can use (like when you only type the name of a program that requires arguments)

new_tolinux
June 1st, 2010, 08:31 AM
What I read from here (http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Ivtv-tune) is:

-fFLOAT --frequency=FLOAT set new frequency (MHz)

What I see in your commandline there is a space between -f and 100:

-f 100

Probably you'll need to remove that.
I don't know the package, so I only tell what I just read.

fairieswearboots
June 1st, 2010, 10:39 AM
thank you for answering. There is a space there, yes. However, wether i use exec('ivtv-tune -f 100') or exec('ivtv-tune --frequency=100') i get the same result (as if i gave no parameters), but both ways work when i use regular command line interface.

new_tolinux
June 1st, 2010, 10:54 AM
thank you for answering. There is a space there, yes. However, wether i use exec('ivtv-tune -f 100') or exec('ivtv-tune --frequency=100') i get the same result (as if i gave no parameters), but both ways work when i use regular command line interface.
I guess it's not going to change anything, but I never use single quotes with exec.
That's mostly because with MySQL-queries '".$somevar."' is more simple to me than \"".$somevar."\" but as a result of that I always use double quotes (1x ") to define PHP commands.

Another way to try could be:
$somevar="ivtv-tune --frequency=100";
exec($somevar);

fairieswearboots
June 6th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks for your reply, I tried it but it didn't work. I've found a way to make it work though. The answer was to just simply use sudo (or just change the user/rights that php/apache uses of course):

system("sudo ivtv-tune -f 100");