PDA

View Full Version : Two simple editors needed.

themarker0
June 1st, 2010, 06:24 AM
I'm wondering if two programs exist, or if i'll have to pay for them to get made.

One is lightweight book writing editor. So it syntax is like books. (Hard to explain i know.) But like properly spaced, footnotes etc, but nothing heavey, as i am on a green laptop.

Another one very very basic. Also syntax of some sort, i almost know it doesn't exist. I have a few learning disabilties, so i make notes currently like

Gail Miller was killed on January 31, 76 days later,
>>Nursing student, from farming family
they arrested David Milgaard, who was not involved at all with the crime.
>>Was a hippy did not commit the crime
>>>though was guilty of possesion, though i don't think it was charged.
23 years later, they arrested Larry fisher, the man responsible for the crime.
>>was charged for another murder was given 10 years earlier
>>>exWife was the one who told Joyce Milgaard she thought it was her husband
>>>>Arrested after Milgaard was cleared, about the only thing done right in this affair.

But there is no easy way to do that in bulky editors like Open office, (For either of these) both which lag on my laptop, and the school may be getting me a netty, just for my last year. So will i have to pay someone or do either of these exist?

nw2001
June 1st, 2010, 07:24 AM
LaTeX would be my suggestion, LyX if it needs to be easy.

VCoolio
June 1st, 2010, 10:19 AM
LaTeX indeed; the latex-plugin for gedit is very usable if it needs to be light.

For taking notes with nice and useful syntax you could use things like zim or cherrytree, or some website-like tool like dokuwiki or tiddlywiki.

bryncoles
June 1st, 2010, 11:35 AM
+1 for LateX. For what you say, it sounds exactly like what you need. It has a steep learning curve, but once mastered you'll wonder how you did without it!

see this guide to latex (www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf) for help, it taught me everything I needed to know, in conjunction with this (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX) wikibook.

and a huge -1 to lyx. Lyx is not comparable to LaTeX at all (IMHO - and yes, I know its an implementation of LaTeX, but it has a screwy GUI!), though I started out using TeXmaker (http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/) (some people like the gedit latex plugin). That might help ease you in. I like TeXmaker because it's cross-platform and free, though some people will tell you there are better cross-platform editors available.

To give you an idea of how to format your text like a book, in LaTeX it's as simple as typing

\documentclass{book}

Hope that helps you!

themarker0
June 1st, 2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks everyone, this is really usefull. :)

kaldor
June 1st, 2010, 06:14 PM
May not be what you are looking for, but Kwrite has loads of syntax highlighting features. Maybe that'll work?

themarker0
June 1st, 2010, 06:16 PM
May not be what you are looking for, but Kwrite has loads of syntax highlighting features. Maybe that'll work?

Its not hightlighting i'm looking for, its like the actual moving and stuff. I was told privately that doesn't actually exist though.