PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] computer crashes after update to 10.04

lenovot400
June 1st, 2010, 01:42 AM
I have a Lenovo T400 and I upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04. After the upgrade I am not able anymore to start ubuntu.

I get the Grub boot manager. After that I only see the a black screen and sometimes a few pixels.

I tried already to remove 'quite' and 'splash' in the boot options. And I added 'nomodset' and 'fb=false'. Nothing works. Help would be greatly appreciated.

lenovot400
June 1st, 2010, 02:05 AM
I tried some more things as recomanded here. (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes)

I used the Kernel 2.6.31, instead of 2.6.32. When I the additionally removed 'quite'and 'splash' in the boot options. I got to see my mouse coursor after the boot procedure. But that was it.

lenovot400
June 1st, 2010, 04:23 AM
I can get into ubuntu using the the Kernel 2.6.31 and the recovery mode (recovery mode of 2.6.32 doesn't work). Then I have to start the failsave graphics mode.

I change my xorg.conf, to include

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "vesa"
Option "DRI" "false"
EndSection

I had hoped that this would sovle the problem but it doesn't. Now my starting screen is purple and I do not see my mouse coursor.

lenovot400
June 1st, 2010, 06:23 AM
I now installed the newest driver for my ATI Radeon Graphics Card.

Changing the xorg.conf to:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "DRI" "false"
EndSection

I still only get somewhere starting the 2.6.31 Kernel and I again have to start in the failsafeX mode.

the logfile says

Fatal server error:
no screens found