PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] linux ubuntu 9.10, network config problem

Maria_1980
May 31st, 2010, 10:53 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am newbie in linux and networking, can anyone please help me through this problem. I was asked to config couple of computers and add them to the network. I installed linux 9.10 on the client and went through the following steps as was told to do.

· Set up NIS and NFS on the client system. just the following bits on the client PCs:
1. Install the appropriate packages:
sudo aptitude install portmap nis nfs-client ssh
Enter CompanyNISDomainName as the NIS domain.
2. Edit /etc/hosts.allow to add a line like:
portmap : Server ID Address
3. Edit /etc/passwd to add a line at the end saying:
+::::::
4. Edit /etc/group to add a line at the end saying:
+:::
5. Edit /etc/shadow to add a line at the end saying:
+::::::::
6. Edit /etc/yp.conf and add the line:
ypserver Server IP Address
7. Edit /etc/fstab and add these two lines:
ServerName:/home /home nfs rw 0 0
ServerName:/srv/shares/admin /shares/admin nfs rw 0 0
8. Restart NIS:
sudo /etc/init.d/nis restart

I have done all the steps, at the end I tried to look at share folder.

1. one of the computers hanged, I restart it. But then system is not boot completely. the screen shows that there are some problems with the server configuration and ICEauthority, and also shows following message:
/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf- sanity- check one or more of the mounts listed in ect/fstab cannt yet be mounted:
/home: waiting for thunderpants:/home
/shares/admin: waiting for ServerName: /srv/share:/admin

2. Second computer said does not recognise the client password and won't connect to the share folders. !!??? I can see the server on the network place area but ...!!!!???

Do I need to made a change on the server? or what? help pls (I already asked this question of server administrator but didnt get clear answer, just I have told that I should not need to change any setting on the server)!!!!

I would appreciated if anyone can give me an idea pleaseee.