PDA

View Full Version : Best KDE implementation?

TheNessus
May 31st, 2010, 10:05 PM
I am sorry if this is a recurring discussion; but times have changed (a bit, with every release and further developments...).

Which KDE implementation is better, or best, for that matter?
-Debian (Squeeze)
-OpenSuse 11.2
-Kubuntu Lucid
-Fedora 13

(all referring to newest releases)
*by better, I mean less bugs, less bloat, smoother, leaner, simpler, more complete, etc.
**feel free to add more distros to the equation, but that is outside my own need of knowledge, could help others though, ofc.

sandyd
May 31st, 2010, 10:08 PM
I am sorry if this is a recurring discussion; but times have changed (a bit, with every release and further developments...).

Which KDE implementation is better, or best, for that matter?
-Debian Squeeze
-OpenSuse
-Kubuntu
-Fedora

(all referring to newest releases)
*by better, I mean less bugs, less bloat, smoother, leaner, simpler, more complete, etc.
**feel free to add more distros to the equation, but that is outside my own need of knowledge, could help others though, ofc.
opensuse. that baby is wicked fast running KDE. In other words, I believe it to be the best implementation of KDE in all distros.

XubuRoxMySox
May 31st, 2010, 10:25 PM
Even Sidux is using KDE now. But if you have plenty of bandwidth, why not try all of them? And check out Mepis and PCLinuxOS as well. Both are great, and PCLinuxOS is rolling release too!

-Robin

kaldor
May 31st, 2010, 11:18 PM
From an openSUSE user: openSUSE!

TheNessus
May 31st, 2010, 11:51 PM
so I think we have a winner?
I'll try opensuse. Never used a non-debian based distro before, so I'll try it on VBox first :)

thanks!

MadCookie
June 1st, 2010, 12:39 AM
Of these openSUSE is best, but KDEmod with Arch Linux beats it!

YuiDaoren
June 1st, 2010, 01:44 AM
Of these openSUSE is best, but KDEmod with Arch Linux beats it!
I'm going to have to agree here. KDEmod (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDEmod) was really fabulous on Arch.

The only reason I abandoned it (and Arch) is that I like Ubuntu and GNOME a bit better. If I were more KDE in my personal preferences I'd have stuck with it.

DeadSuperHero
June 1st, 2010, 01:46 AM
Fedora 13 is absolutely sublime.

stuart.reinke
June 1st, 2010, 03:14 AM
opensuse. that baby is wicked fast running KDE. In other words, I believe it to be the best implementation of KDE in all distros.

From an openSUSE user: openSUSE!

+1

KDE's performance on openSUSE is as good as GNOME's on Ubuntu

Firestem4
June 1st, 2010, 03:20 AM
KDEMod on ArchLinux is incredible. I've never seen anything more stable, complete, and as fast as that!

Even though I'm a big fan of Kubuntu, and I deal with its Sluggish KDE implimentation, it gets better every release.

TheNessus
June 1st, 2010, 07:55 PM
using openSUSE. Incredible, it's just blazing fast, and uses about half the memory Kubuntu does. It is really like GNOME with Ubuntu, only KDE. It's still very weird, I'm used to .deb files and Synaptic, now I got all these weird stuff instead, will take time getting used to it... GRUB1 fails to recognize my Ubuntu Lucid since I installed that with GRUB2 I suppose.

infestor
June 1st, 2010, 07:57 PM
pardus is a solid kde implementation, of course if you can live with a scarce repo

98cwitr
June 1st, 2010, 08:07 PM
"none" gets my vote...KDE sUx0rz.

If I had to pick though I'd say OpenSUSE

RiceMonster
June 1st, 2010, 08:22 PM
I see a lot of people advocating KDEMod. What's the point when the official Arch repos now have split packages as well?