PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VMware Server on Ubuntu 10.04

SirEddy
May 31st, 2010, 09:14 PM
G'day all,

I have just loaded Ubuntu 10.0.4 all OK

Loaded VMware Server 2.0.2 All OK

Opened VMware Infrastructure Web page and created new machine. Still OK

Click on new machine and go to console and power on.

Receive error:

Cannot access virtual machine console. Request timed out.
The attempt to acquire valid session ticket for "xxxxxx" took longer than expected. If this problem persists blah blah blah

I suspect this is a problem with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.3.

Does anybody have any ideas.

Interesting?

useResa
June 2nd, 2010, 07:46 PM
I have ran into the same issue as indicated. From what I have read it is indeed an issue with Firefox 3.6.3. I have used the following to circumvent the issue:

First I have downloaded Firefox 3.5.9 from here (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html).
I extracted the tarball in the folder where I had downloaded the file and renamed the folder from firefox to firefox-3.5.9
Next I moved the entire folder to the /usr/lib directory (you should now have a firefox-3.6.3 and a firefox-3.5.9 directory).
Then created a symbolic link in the /usr/bin directory with the following command

ln -s /usr/lib/firefox-3.5.9/firefox firefox-old
Now I can choose to start the regular firefox version (with the command firefox) and the old release with the command firefox-old.
Next I uninstalled the console plugin (if you have not yet done so), started the old firefox version, logged into vmware and installed the console plugin into the old version.
In this release of firefox I can now use the console as I was used to.

I hope this helps.

anjoze
June 22nd, 2010, 10:29 AM
Hi. I followed your steps, create the symbolic link (firefox-old -> /usr/lib/firefox-3.5.9/firefox) but when I write "firefox-old" says: command not found.
Help please...
Thanks

useResa
June 23rd, 2010, 12:31 AM
Have you created the symbolic link while you were in the /usr/bin directory?
Just to be sure, could you post the outcome of the following command

ls -l /usr/bin/firef*

fmartagong
July 8th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I have ran into the same issue as indicated. From what I have read it is indeed an issue with Firefox 3.6.3. I have used the following to circumvent the issue:

First I have downloaded Firefox 3.5.9 from here (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html).
I extracted the tarball in the folder where I had downloaded the file and renamed the folder from firefox to firefox-3.5.9
Next I moved the entire folder to the /usr/lib directory (you should now have a firefox-3.6.3 and a firefox-3.5.9 directory).
Then created a symbolic link in the /usr/bin directory with the following command

ln -s /usr/lib/firefox-3.5.9/firefox firefox-oldNow I can choose to start the regular firefox version (with the command firefox) and the old release with the command firefox-old.
Next I uninstalled the console plugin (if you have not yet done so), started the old firefox version, logged into vmware and installed the console plugin into the old version.

I hope this helps.

I really helped this.

Thank you very much.

arendi
July 27th, 2010, 12:09 AM
The way we solved this problem (in short) is that we downloaded firefox 3.5.11 (the last of the 3.5 series i think), started it, logged in vmware server via default web interface, then we generated desktop shortcuts for all virtual machines (backed shortcuts up just in case of accidental deletions) and then removed firefox 3.5.11. So now we have up-to-date Firefox AND access to all virtual machines.

Strange, the problem was only in starting the console from within the firefox 3.6.x, because other managing via VMware Server Web Interface works almost fine (session dies sometimes without reason). I don't think this bug requires much work to fix, but for 6 months, neither VMware nor Mozilla have fixed it, and I don't think they will do it any time soon.

santan
October 31st, 2010, 12:26 PM

ln -s /usr/lib/firefox-3.5.9/firefox firefox-oldNow I can choose to start the regular firefox version (with the command firefox) and the old release with the command firefox-old.

I hope this helps.

Thanks so much Bud. It really helped!!!

stevellion
March 12th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I have it working on Firefox 3.6.15 with no problems now. The following steps were required.

1) Manually install the plugin
cd /usr/lib/vmware/webAccess/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.16/webapps/ui/plugin
ls Just to ensure that you see the various .xpi files for the plugins.
firefox vmware-vmrc-linux-x64.xpi (or whichever version is relevant for you)

2) Enable ssl2 in Firefox.
in Firefox, go to about:config
Find security.enable_ssl2 and set it to true

Try your VMware Server link - Hey presto.

saxophobe
March 16th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I know this is probably an idiotic question, but what is the command to manually install .xpi files?

saxophobe
March 16th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Nevermind. I figured it out. 8-)