PDA

View Full Version : geany does not compile, bloodshed does. why?

idrinkwhisky
May 31st, 2010, 08:43 PM
Hi,

i am brushing up my c++ knowledge and I was playing around with including header files and source files in a project.

Anyways, in geany it does compile but it refuses to build. When i take the exact same code and compile it in bloodshed it executes with no problems.

Does anybody know why Geany does not build my code? Is it something in the way Geany handles projects? Can you recommend maybe another IDE which would work better? I don t want to go back to windows to code.

Thanks

soltanis
May 31st, 2010, 08:45 PM
One IDE is compiling with different options than the other. This isn't the fault of any one of them, but rather either a misconfiguration or misunderstanding on the programmer's (your) part.

I would think both IDEs tell you what they are doing when they are compiling, so if you could post the commands they use and the errors you are getting, that would point us to the problem.

idrinkwhisky
May 31st, 2010, 09:28 PM
Hi thanks for your very fast response,

bloodshed compiles with no problems so no comments there.
I have quoted the comments from geany below:

g++ -Wall -o "main" "main.cpp" (in directory: /home/user/cpp/projects2)
/tmp/ccmwYPZ0.o: In function `main':
main.cpp:(.text+0x1c): undefined reference to `Square(double)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Compilation failed.

Many thanks.

In case it helps the code that i wrote was:

// Header.h file
double Square(double x);

//Header.cpp
#include </home/user/cpp/projects2/Header.h>
double Square(double Value)
{
/* Function code */
double SquareReturn;

SquareReturn = Value * Value;

return SquareReturn;
}

//main.cpp
#include <iostream>

int main (void)
{
double Number;
double SquaredNumber;

Number = 5;

SquaredNumber = Square(Number);

std::cout << SquaredNumber;
return 0;
}

Can+~
May 31st, 2010, 10:47 PM

This is wrong, you should be using local references (for portability), and also, the <> only works when the files are on your path, I'm guessing this is the reason why it works in Mingw, it probably adds everything to the PATH.

Here's the "corrected" code:

header.cpp

#include "header.h" // Local reference

double Square(double Value)
{
/* Function code */
double SquareReturn;

SquareReturn = Value * Value;

return SquareReturn;
}

header.h

#ifndef HEADER_H_ // double include protection

double Square(double x);

#define HEADER_H_
#endif //HEADER_H_

main.cpp

#include "header.h" // Again, local header
#include <iostream>

int main (void)
{
double Number;
double SquaredNumber;

Number = 5;

SquaredNumber = Square(Number);

std::cout << SquaredNumber;
return 0;
}

Compiled with (Not the pretty way):

g++ main.cpp header.cpp -o mystuff

Properly compiled and linked (the "right way" for makefiles):

g++ -c main.cpp header.cpp
g++ header.o main.o -o mystuff

Any GCC expert, feel free to bash me about anything, long time since I compile anything, so maybe I'm wrong somewhere.

idrinkwhisky
May 31st, 2010, 11:08 PM
Ok thanks for your suggestions. I made the adjustments and now it runs from command line when i use g++ directly in the comand line.

however still no luck with Geany. Same error. I think it has to do with the header.cpp file. Whenever I dump the code from the header.cpp file directly into the headerfile (header.h) Geany will also compile.
So it feels like it s a problem in linking the cpp files together in geany.

I found this link in which the same problem is described:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1483491/c-including-header-file-fails-compilation-but-including-source-cpp-file-compil

I think I ll stop worrying bout geany and just use g++ and the terminal instead. thanks again (unless somebody knows how to link cpp files in geany)

Can+~
May 31st, 2010, 11:21 PM
The thing is, geany just compiles one-by-one, just take a look at "Build > Set Includes and Arguments". Geany has no way to tell that you'll compile/link more than one file at a time.

You could write a makefile, and just tell geany to run "make" on the folder; edit the geany command to do something else (example, compile everything in the folder like g++ -c *.cpp, g++ -o *.o executable); or use another program entirely.

For C and C++ I usually use Eclipse with the cdt plugin, although, I think it would be overwhelming for a starter like you.

So yeah, stick with the terminal, that way you'll learn compiling by hand, it will be useful later.

trent.josephsen
May 31st, 2010, 11:25 PM
I think I ll stop worrying bout geany and just use g++ and the terminal instead.

Sound idea. When that becomes tedious, learn to write Makefiles.

idrinkwhisky
May 31st, 2010, 11:28 PM
thanks everybody