PDA

View Full Version : Printing a canvas in python

japhyr
May 31st, 2010, 08:30 PM
Hello,

I would like to be able to print the contents of a canvas. I have tried to create a postscript file, but all I get is a blank canvas. I'm pretty sure that's because this is a container canvas with a bunch of widgets added to it. This is the code I've tried so far:

self.tiCanvas.postscript(file=postscriptFilename, colormode='color')
I have attached a screenshot of part of the canvas I am trying to print. It is a visual representation of a student's transcript.

Can anyone offer a suggestion for how to move forward? I have looked around, but haven't found much.

gmargo
June 1st, 2010, 12:33 AM
http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/canvas.htm#Tkinter.Canvas.postscript-method

says "Images and embedded widgets are not included.". Is that the "canvas" that you are talking about?

japhyr
June 1st, 2010, 03:01 AM
Yes, that is the canvas. But I am open to any suggestions about how to print from a python program. I haven't found much so far. I think that's because any search with the word "print" in it is relevant to all kinds of pages related to the print function, and I have also heard that sending things to a printer is much harder than sending things to the screen. So any leads are appreciated.

Can+~
June 1st, 2010, 03:10 AM
Edit: ok, I totally misunderstood your problem. But it seems that creating widgets, make them to be "above" the canvas, thus, it won't work at all (as you guessed).

Looking at your table, I would think that it would be easier to just output to html. Or try to recreate it with the tk canvas basic drawing functions instead of widgets.

soltanis
June 1st, 2010, 04:33 AM
You can also try to invoke another program to do a screen capture and print the resulting file. It's a workaround, but I think it's merited here and preferable to re-implementing all the work that has already been done.

japhyr
June 1st, 2010, 05:30 AM
I thought about the screen capture piece, but that seems a pretty ugly workaround. I think I will play with the other option, even if it's some rewriting. Do any of you know any good resources for optimizing output for printing?