PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Booting's options

packpunk
May 31st, 2010, 07:59 PM
Hi,
I'm PackPunk and I'm new here.
I got a problem here, I installed Ubuntu 10.04 (UNE) on my netbook, Lenovo S10-3 (This my first time to use Linux 8)).
I did a dual boot (Windows 7 and Ubuntu).
After I did some "upgraded" on Ubuntu now the options on booting became more than 4 options boot. Here is the screenshoot:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6500/rokr0043.jpg
You can see that there are "same" Linux's boot there.
- Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6...
- Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6... (recovery mode)
- Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6... (recovery mode)

I want to "remove" these double boot options? Any idea sir?
Or if there are some "configurations" I want to make the boot options only two:
- Windows 7 (loader)...

Thanks.

ajgreeny
May 31st, 2010, 08:26 PM
From the grub2 wiki- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2

Removing Entries from Grub 2

Entries should be removed by editing or removing files in the /etc/grub.d folder. The /boot/grub/grub.cfg file is read-only and should not normally be edited directly.

Automatically.

Kernels removed by Synaptic will automatically update grub.cfg and no user action is required.
Other operating systems which have been removed from the computer will also be removed from the menu once "update-grub" is run as root.

Manually.

To prevent a file in /etc/grub.d from adding items to the menu, remove the executable bit or remove the applicable file.
memtest86+: If you don't want to have memtest86+ displayed in your menu, run sudo chmod -x /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+. The file will remain but will not be acted upon by update-grub.
Recovery mode: If you don't want Recovery mode entries for your linux kernels, edit /etc/default/grub and add this line:

GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY=true

If a custom script in the /etc/grub.d/ folder contains multiple menu entries, individual items may be removed and others retained.
Tip: If the user wants his custom entries to appear at the top of the menu, the file can be named a value less than "10_linux", such as "07_custom". Check that the "DEFAULT" value in /etc/default/grub points to the correct menuentry after making this change.
Changes will not take effect on the Grub 2 menu until "update-grub" is run to update grub.cfg

So you see from this that you can remove almost anything you want, but I suggest you keep the two different kernel entries, ie, the first 4 menu entries, just in case something goes wrong and you need to run an older kernel.

Get rid of the memtest86+ lines if you want to, and the recovery mode as well if it annoys you, though I would keep recovery mode as it can be very useful if the system goes wrong (it can happen!).

As for the two windows entries, I can't help you. Have you two different windows installs, or is one historical? There have been changes to the way grub deals with the newer windows bootloaders, and I don't know how you can deal with that, so wait for other answers before trying to do anything about it.

nhasian
May 31st, 2010, 08:28 PM
it doesn't harm your system in any way to have more than one kernel installed. I recommend always keeping a backup kernel in case the updated one has any quirks or problems with your system you can fall back to the previous kernel.

packpunk
June 2nd, 2010, 05:16 AM
Ok thanks sir