PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't see my hard drives

technmom
May 31st, 2010, 07:28 PM
Hello,
I'm brand new to ubuntu. When I clicked on Computer I was able to see my hard drives and mount them. Now I cannot. I have my system set up as a dual book with Window XP.
I was showing my husband and children how to get to their files and could not. I rebooted to show them how to get onto windows or ubuntu and how to use it. Of course, whenever you try to demonstrate something thats when it doesn't work.
I did install c++ using the instructions from the forum
I just tried to cut and paste them here but that doesn't seem to work either. I don't see how making that install would change things.
I'm frustrated obviously :(

saakeman
May 31st, 2010, 07:33 PM
Hello,
I'm brand new to ubuntu. When I clicked on Computer I was able to see my hard drives and mount them. Now I cannot. I have my system set up as a dual book with Window XP.
I was showing my husband and children how to get to their files and could not. I rebooted to show them how to get onto windows or ubuntu and how to use it. Of course, whenever you try to demonstrate something thats when it doesn't work.
I did install c++ using the instructions from the forum
I just tried to cut and paste them here but that doesn't seem to work either. I don't see how making that install would change things.
I'm frustrated obviously :(

I have the same problemo !

**join facebook's dustbin of history**
it is
**dustbin of history**

Matt__
May 31st, 2010, 07:36 PM
try
sudo apt-get install ntfs-config

allow write support when prompted and the drives should automount on boot

technmom
May 31st, 2010, 07:40 PM
try
sudo apt-get install ntfs-configallow write support when prompted and the drives should automount on boot

I tried it. I did not get an option to allow write support. nothing happened. I am going to try rebooting.....be back

technmom
May 31st, 2010, 07:56 PM
nothing worked. Please help

halitech
May 31st, 2010, 08:03 PM
what is the output of

sudo fdisk -l
and

mount

technmom
May 31st, 2010, 08:11 PM
sector size (512, 1024, 2048 or 4096)
-c switch off DOS-compatible mode
-h print help
-u <size> give sizes in sectors instead of cylinders
-v print version
-C <number> specify the number of cylinders
-H <number> specify the number of heads
-S <number> specify the number of sectors per track

and

grubel@grubel-desktop:~$ mount
/dev/sda5 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/grubel/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=grubel)

halitech
May 31st, 2010, 08:15 PM
I'm thinking you put in sudo fdisk -1 instead of sudo fdisk -l (lowercase L)

yetiman64
May 31st, 2010, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt__ http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9389435#post9389435)
try Code:
sudo apt-get install ntfs-config
allow write support when prompted and the drives should automount on boot

I tried it. I did not get an option to allow write support. nothing happened. I am going to try rebooting.....be backAfter installing ntfs-config did you launch it from System>Administration>NTFS Configuration Tool, then input your password ?

If so it should have given a dialog box where ntfs partitions can be selected by ticking their box, then when applied, another dialog is shown where write support for internal or external devices can be set up.

This tool will automatically mount the partitions and put an entry into fstab for mounting on subsequent boots. The process isn't automatic on install and won't do its job until launched manually. Hope this helps.

technmom
May 31st, 2010, 08:31 PM
THank you thank you:)

Now if i can figure out how to mark this sovlved

yetiman64
May 31st, 2010, 09:06 PM
At the top of your browser window is the thread tools drop down menu. Select solved. Cheers.

Edit: you will be redirected and will need to click on confirmation etc.