PDA

View Full Version : When do you think HTML5 will replace Flash?

TheNerdAL
May 31st, 2010, 05:22 PM
I am not a fan of Flash because it hogs a lot of CPU!

I was wondering when do you think HTML5 will replace it.

PS: Is there a way to make Flash use less CPU in Ubuntu?

Thanks.

McRat
May 31st, 2010, 05:38 PM
I have always hated Flash. Unstable virus transmitter. Most of the really obnoxious popup ads are Flash.

If it disappeared tomorrow, my life would not change. I hate how webdesigners are making it the only way to view certain sites. This assumes a two critical things:

All your customers have high-speed internet.

All your customers want to load unstable malware on their computers that will remind you about Adobe every day of your life. I already know what Adobe sells. I don't need the nagging.

Without Flash making it onto the handhelds, it is doomed for the most part. I'll give it 5 years max. HTML5 will be predominant within 2 years.

TheNerdAL
May 31st, 2010, 05:39 PM
I have always hated Flash. Unstable virus transmitter. Most of the really obnoxious popup ads are Flash.

If it disappeared tomorrow, my life would not change. I hate how webdesigners are making it the only way to view certain sites. This assumes a two critical things:

All your customers have high-speed internet.

All your customers want to load unstable malware on their computers that will remind you about Adobe every day of your life. I already know what Adobe sells. I don't need the nagging.

Without Flash making it onto the handhelds, it is doomed for the most part. I'll give it 5 years max. HTML5 will be predominant within 2 years.

I think iPad uses HTML5, and yeah you forgot that not all people have a good CPU.

TwoEars
May 31st, 2010, 05:43 PM
You know, you make the weirdest threads with so little knowledge. Next time, make sure you read up around the subject first. ;)

TheNerdAL
May 31st, 2010, 05:44 PM
You know, you make the weirdest threads with so little knowledge. Next time, make sure you read up around the subject first. ;)

I think differently. :)

gnomeuser
May 31st, 2010, 05:57 PM
Never, flash is far to entrenched to go away entirely. I do hope that Silverlight and HTML5 will take a bite out of it and make it far less essential to enjoyment of the wide open bit plains.

ELD
May 31st, 2010, 06:11 PM

This, every post he makes reads like it was done by someone really young but i think it's just the way he posts.

NerdAl i really do think you need to read me into things before posting about them.

YuiDaoren
May 31st, 2010, 06:19 PM
I think differently. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

m4tic
May 31st, 2010, 06:19 PM
Why is it that people think flash will be replace by html5. If they didn't read up, flash is not just a video player. Html5 can be a good video player on the web. Flash goes beyond just video so to answer your post, yes, flash on video will lose but flash as a whole won't die i can promise you that.

TheNerdAL
May 31st, 2010, 06:22 PM
Why is it that people think flash will be replace by html5. If they didn't read up, flash is not just a video player. Html5 can be a good video player on the web. Flash goes beyond just video so to answer your post, yes, flash on video will lose but flash as a whole won't die i can promise you that.

Games can be made using HTML5.

m4tic
May 31st, 2010, 06:29 PM

How long will it take to make tretris-html5 and tetris-flash. Also html5 games aren't better than java games. Show me a good comparison where html5 game beats a java one

TheNerdAL
May 31st, 2010, 06:31 PM
How long will it take to make tretris-html5 and tetris-flash. Also html5 games aren't better than java games. Show me a good comparison where html5 game beats a java one

We're comparing Flash and HTML5.

m4tic
May 31st, 2010, 06:33 PM

i was bringing you back to earth.

m4tic
May 31st, 2010, 06:39 PM

Maybe flash can hold on a little longer.
readwriteweb.com/archives/does_html5_really_beat_flash_surprising_results_of _new_tests.php

ve4cib
May 31st, 2010, 07:10 PM
Never, flash is far to entrenched to go away entirely. I do hope that Silverlight and HTML5 will take a bite out of it and make it far less essential to enjoyment of the wide open bit plains.

Agreed. Though I'll add that eventually (in the 10+ years range) Flash may eventually become so deprecated, and enough new/better things invented that it will be gone in most practical terms; you likely won't *need* a Flash plugin for most websites, but some will still be Flash-only (or "best viewed with Flash")

Most old technology never really dies. You can still buy Betamax tapes from Sony, and Beta has been "dead" since the 80s. Beta is, in practical terms, dead. But it still exists in some small form. I expect the same to be true with Flash.

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about Silverlight taking market share away from Flash. I've never had much success viewing Silverlight pages under Linux. Not sure if it's just that Mono doesn't support the latest-and-greatest version of Silverlight yet, or what the problem is, but on Linux Flash has always had some modicum of success.

(From a developer standpoint Silverlight is WAY better than Flash. If Silverlight's client support were as good as Flash's I'd be completely sold.)

I think ideally what might happen in the near future (<10 years) is Flash sites and Silverlight sites will start ofering some sort of feature-reduced, basic HTML5 page. Much like many websites currently offer Flash and HTML versions now, we'll just see the HTML versions slowly get upgraded to use the newer technology. The main/best content will still be done using Flash/Silverlight, but the important stuff will still be usable in HTML5.

lovinglinux
May 31st, 2010, 07:34 PM
I am not a fan of Flash because it hogs a lot of CPU!

I was wondering when do you think HTML5 will replace it.

PS: Is there a way to make Flash use less CPU in Ubuntu?

Thanks.

You can replace flash with another plugin like totem or gecko-mediaplayer. To do that install FlashVideoReplacer (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1487327). It currently support a limited number of sites (YouTube, Vimeo, Blip.tv) but I will be adding more sites on every new version of the extension.

TheNerdAL
May 31st, 2010, 07:35 PM
You can replace flash with another plugin like totem or gecko-mediaplayer. To do that install FlashVideoReplacer (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1487327). It currently support a limited number of sites (YouTube, Vimeo, Blip.tv) but I will be adding more sites on every new version of the extension.

Yeah, I use Minitube, but I want like something for Justin.tv.

lovinglinux
May 31st, 2010, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I use Minitube, but I want like something for Justin.tv.

I will investigate if it is possible to support that site. Please subscribe to the extension thread, twitter or rss feed, so you can be informed if the site has been added to a new version.

finlost
May 31st, 2010, 07:42 PM
Adobe is as much the devil as Microsoft. I am not anti-flash, just anti-Adobe.

I welcome alternatives to Adobe Flash such as HTML5, WebM, Java-Script, etc.

My laptop gets pretty hot watching Shockwave/Flash adult cinema. \\:D/ Hopefully the pr0n industry can help shape better Adobe alternatives just as pr0n steered us toward VHS instead of Betamax (although Betamax was a superior format).

kamaboko
May 31st, 2010, 07:59 PM

Not the games I'd care to play. lol. What, like chase the bouncing ball?

m4tic
May 31st, 2010, 08:01 PM

good observation lol

kamaboko
May 31st, 2010, 08:06 PM
A good source just informed me that HTML5 will replace Flash on October 22, 2021, at 3:21PM PST. There, you have your answer.

ve4cib
May 31st, 2010, 08:21 PM
A good source just informed me that HTML5 will replace Flash on October 22, 2021, at 3:21PM PST. There, you have your answer.

[Citation Needed]

:p

m4tic
May 31st, 2010, 08:29 PM
A good source[who?] just informed me that HTML5 will replace Flash on October 22, 2021, at 3:21PM PST. There, you have your answer.

See you then

McRat
May 31st, 2010, 08:47 PM
[Citation Needed]

:p

There it is, On The Internet. If it's on the Internet, it must be true.

Dustin2128
May 31st, 2010, 10:08 PM

Hm, what would you say if I told you a Quake 2 java port was converted to HTML5?
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Quake-2-Running-in-a-Browser-Courtesy-of-HTML5-139054.shtml

You can also compile and test it yourself, here's the link: code.google.com/p/quake2-gwt-port/
It is a truly amazing acomplishment and puts to shame most of the flash games I play, 30fps, in a browser. No plugins. Just default html5 (well you have to use the --enable-webgl flag in chromium for it to work). There are a few things that are missing, but the canvas flag is promising. HTML6 will probably eliminate flash as a major competitor.

TheNerdAL
May 31st, 2010, 10:38 PM

WOW THANKS! :D Lol.

NightwishFan
May 31st, 2010, 10:40 PM
I hope so.

kamaboko
May 31st, 2010, 10:46 PM
Hm, what would you say if I told you a Quake 2 java port was converted to HTML5?
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Quake-2-Running-in-a-Browser-Courtesy-of-HTML5-139054.shtml

You can also compile and test it yourself, here's the link: code.google.com/p/quake2-gwt-port/
It is a truly amazing acomplishment and puts to shame most of the flash games I play, 30fps, in a browser. No plugins. Just default html5 (well you have to use the --enable-webgl flag in chromium for it to work). There are a few things that are missing, but the canvas flag is promising. HTML6 will probably eliminate flash as a major competitor.

I'd say I'm not particularly interested in playing a 10+ year old game, and certainly not at 30fps. I was getting better fps 10 years ago. Moreover, I don't think HTML5 will ever become the "bleeding edge" delivery for gaming. Simple games? Yes, perhaps there's room for HTML5. Games on the caliber of Modern Warfare, no. It isn't going to happen. Is this to say PS3 and X-Box will disappear? Not if Sony and MS have anything to say about it. Whatever...Flash will be gone in 2021. My source told me so.

NightwishFan
May 31st, 2010, 10:47 PM
I play some 10+ year old games that mock the caliber of Modern Warfare.

Dustin2128
May 31st, 2010, 11:02 PM
I'd say I'm not particularly interested in playing a 10+ year old game, and certainly not at 30fps. I was getting better fps 10 years ago. Moreover, I don't think HTML5 will ever become the "bleeding edge" delivery for gaming. Simple games? Yes, perhaps there's room for HTML5. Games on the caliber of Modern Warfare, no. It isn't going to happen. Is this to say PS3 and X-Box will disappear? Not if Sony and MS have anything to say about it. Whatever...Flash will be gone in 2021. My source told me so.
darn 11 more years :D
anyway I wasn't implying that it'd become anywhere near the 'bleeding edge' in gaming, I'm just saying that it puts flash games to shame, this is about html5 in browsers not game design. And the canvas feature enables many more features that are almost flash-like. Just saying it allows for at least as advanced games as flash can provide without the 600 dollar cost. consoles are the future of in depth non mmo gaming, and they won't use a browser language (probably not anyway...).

EDIT:

I play some 10+ year old games that mock the caliber of Modern Warfare.
yeah, I personally think that master of orion, from '93 has a better AI than any modern sim/strategy game I've ever played. How many A.I.'s will remember that you've broken past treaties of it, and be reluctant to enter such a treaty again or tire of parlaying after you ask them 50 times for a treaty or toss in bribes for treaties they want you to sign? most of the best games ever written have already been written.

NightwishFan
May 31st, 2010, 11:10 PM
Sadly yes. I no longer buy new games. I always look out for a diamond in the rough though.

As for more on topic, I am not looking forward to the future of web based and cloud computing. This is how things will eventually evolve. I just hope it is not on flash.

Dustin2128
May 31st, 2010, 11:14 PM
mm yes, I don't like the idea of cloud computing. I mean I try to keep a server up in case I forget some important document but the entire desktop shouldn't be run over an internet connection. People are too dependent on the net as is :). I mean really, without the internet neither of my parents have a use for their computer :D.