PDA

View Full Version : USB boots to log in page - how do I log in?

MisterMicawber
May 31st, 2010, 04:51 PM
Apologies if this is answered somewhere else but I've been searching with all the search terms I could think of, but without success.

I downloaded the netbook remix (ubuntu-10.04-netbook-i386) and used the Universal USB installer to put it onto a USB stick. All seemed to go ok.

I then started my netbook (Asus 1001HA) and booted from the USB. The documentation on the download page says you should then get to a screen which allows you to choose to boot from USB or install. Well, I don't see the pretty coloured screen that gives you the choice. I do see, instead, a plain black on white, DOS type display that also gives you the choice, so I choose boot from USB.

All seems to go well, except that instead of the pretty CD/USB desktop appearing, as described in the documentation, I get a mauve screen with just ubuntu on it plus a Log In button. Since I don't have an account, I can't log in.

Any ideas why my installation is not working as described in the Ubuntu documentation?

And apologies again if this has been asked and answered before. I tried to find something about it but found nothing remotely like this.

mikewhatever
May 31st, 2010, 06:03 PM
Let's try to verify the downloaded iso. Sometimes a large file gets corrupted while being downloaded, which, in the case of an OS iso may lead to malfunctions.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

saakeman
May 31st, 2010, 06:59 PM
Apologies if this is answered somewhere else but I've been searching with all the search terms I could think of, but without success.

I downloaded the netbook remix (ubuntu-10.04-netbook-i386) and used the Universal USB installer to put it onto a USB stick. All seemed to go ok.

I then started my netbook (Asus 1001HA) and booted from the USB. The documentation on the download page says you should then get to a screen which allows you to choose to boot from USB or install. Well, I don't see the pretty coloured screen that gives you the choice. I do see, instead, a plain black on white, DOS type display that also gives you the choice, so I choose boot from USB.

All seems to go well, except that instead of the pretty CD/USB desktop appearing, as described in the documentation, I get a mauve screen with just ubuntu on it plus a Log In button. Since I don't have an account, I can't log in.

Any ideas why my installation is not working as described in the Ubuntu documentation?

And apologies again if this has been asked and answered before. I tried to find something about it but found nothing remotely like this.

ok and hallo

download it again and do the same
then tel us the report

-----------------------------------
for all you full time windows users ,, wich are not using linux even a bit ,, get of the ubuntu forms

Autodave
May 31st, 2010, 07:53 PM

I then started my netbook (Asus 1001HA) and booted from the USB.

Don't know if this reply is going to be too late or not, but you might also want to consider installing EEEbuntu on that Asus. It is ubuntu written specifically for Asus netbooks. I have it on mine and everything worked perfectly right out of the box, including the wireless adapter.

MisterMicawber
June 5th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Don't know if this reply is going to be too late or not, but you might also want to consider installing EEEbuntu on that Asus. It is ubuntu written specifically for Asus netbooks. I have it on mine and everything worked perfectly right out of the box, including the wireless adapter.

Many thanks for the replies - much appreciated. I did as suggested and downloaded the whole thing again and redid the USB installation. Success. It then booted correctly from the USB stick.

It all looks good. Except... I couldn't get it to connect to the wireless network ( I don't have a wired connection to try) So thanks for the suggestion about the alternative EEbuntu. I will try this next.