PDA

View Full Version : The Linux Campaign

Apollyein
March 24th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Hey all. Me and a bunch of friends have started a new movement titled "The Linux Campaign." We're interested in spreading the word of Linux worldwide. We've already convinced our school to let us set up a single computer in each lab that runs a different form of the Linux Kernel: Ubuntu, Knoppix, and Edubuntu are our current choices.

Please, stop on by and support us in our quest!

~Polly

Edit: All that typing, and I dun forgot the URL (http://www.thelinuxcampaign.co.nr).

*smacks forehead*

aysiu
March 24th, 2006, 11:31 PM
I don't have a lot of money to donate, but my website costs about US$70/year to maintain (pays for the domain name and the hosting), and there are probably even better deals out there, too.

So when you say
We're raising money to get our own webpage with hosting, but are only halfway there. does that mean you have raised about US$35 or so? Or are you planning to raise enough funds for at least ten years?

Apollyein
March 24th, 2006, 11:36 PM
We are going one year at a time, and have raised $40.

Any comments/concerns?

~Polly

aysiu
March 25th, 2006, 12:13 AM
We are going one year at a time, and have raised $40.

Any comments/concerns?

~Polly No concerns, but a few suggestions:

1. Just from an aesthetics point of view, grey text (even light-grey text) is a little difficult to read on a black background. And black backgrounds generally tend to give a rather ominous (not welcoming) feeling. I'd go for lighter colors.

2. You're probably in only the very beginning stages of planning, so your ideas and goals are very abstract. It'd be great, once you get going, to see some concrete steps you plan to take to spread Linux.

3. In conjunction with #2, you may also want to put a little information about what Linux is and what it does. You may also want to espouse a distribution or two.

lordofkhemenu
March 25th, 2006, 12:24 AM
No concerns, but a few suggestions:

1. Just from an aesthetics point of view, grey text (even light-grey text) is a little difficult to read on a black background. And black backgrounds generally tend to give a rather ominous (not welcoming) feeling. I'd go for lighter colors.

I'll second this..More friendly colors. White or light color (like Ubuntu forums) background. Something easy on the eyes..make them want to stay and read what you have say.

Apollyein
March 25th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Good points, in general.

1. It really is supposed to be a sheer "Temp" website, something to just point people to and say "this is what we're doing, but we're still a work in progress."

2. Excellent point, and one that will be addressed.

3. Erm, espousing?

~Polly

aysiu
March 25th, 2006, 12:38 AM
3. Erm, espousing? Going by the second dictionary definition of the word espouse (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=espouse):
2. To give one's loyalty or support to (a cause, for example); adopt.

Apollyein
March 25th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Ah. I see. Hence the root of 'spouse.'

Anywho, that is a point of contention. We do not want:

1) To infer, in any way, that a single distribution represents the whole of Linux

2) To make some distributions hurt/upset because they weren't espoused (fun word, thanks!).

3) Make our members choose a single distribution. After all, isn't the point of Linux to have a choice?

We will, however, link to all known distributions when the true site comes up, and we will also make a point to mention those which we have enough knowledge/experience to fully support.

Thank you very much for adding to my vocabulary and for helping to advance our cause.

~Polly

aysiu
March 25th, 2006, 12:49 AM
1) To infer, in any way, that a single distribution represents the whole of Linux

2) To make some distributions hurt/upset because they weren't espoused (fun word, thanks!).

3) Make our members choose a single distribution. After all, isn't the point of Linux to have a choice?

We will, however, link to all known distributions when the true site comes up, and we will also make a point to mention those which we have enough knowledge/experience to fully support. Maybe not one single distribution, but you may want to suggest a handful. As a relatively new Linux adopter myself, I can attest to how overwhelming the choices are to a new user.

At the very least, a link to this quiz (http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/) would be helpful. You may want to do something like "distro of the week."

Thank you very much for adding to my vocabulary and for helping to advance our cause. I taught high school English for five years. It... well, was... my job.

Apollyein
March 25th, 2006, 12:55 AM
An extremely good plan. It shall be adopted.

Right now, though, our main focus is on raising funds. As only two of our five local members who can donate have donated at this time, it may be possible to get online in a matter of mere days.

~Polly

Apollyein
March 25th, 2006, 03:38 AM
Well, another member has donated money to the project, and we are 3/4 the way there! Twenty dollars to go...

~Polly

Apollyein
April 8th, 2006, 12:49 AM
And... we're online! The Linux Campaign has finally started in earnest. Come check us out at:

www.thelinuxcampaign.org

~Polly

Jenda
April 14th, 2006, 07:27 PM
hello Apollyein.
You might want to check out the Ubuntu Marketing Team at www.ubuntupeople.com and wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam .
We could cooperate on some things and be mutual inspiration in others :)
Mind you, the Marketing Team is experiencing rebirth at this moment and will probably be a lot more active soon.

Apollyein
April 21st, 2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks Jenda. Looks like a good pair. I'll get in contact with you ASAP about it.

~Polly

cafeshopkeeper
April 22nd, 2006, 01:53 PM
If you want some linux merchandasie for the campaign visit http://www.cafepress.com/tshirtmaster/1171121 or visit directly http://www.cafepress.com/tshirtmaster

Jenda
April 30th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Gotcha polly...
cafeshopkeeper - that link you gave is terribly made. Maybe you could do something about the
"linux t-shirts design with linux tux - linux tux - linux tux got linux want more linux design - linux idea for t-shirts and other products - linux shirts" descriptions beneath each picture.
I believe this is called spamdexing, and is not considered ethical behaviour on the internet.

H.E. Pennypacker
June 13th, 2006, 10:41 PM
I wish you luck, because I support the project. Make sure you mention all the sub-projects you have going on, which schools you have already converted, which schools you plan on converting, the progress that has been made, and the progress that you plan on making. Set periodic goals that you wish to meet as well.

Adamant1988
June 15th, 2006, 06:20 PM
I really like the Ideas behind this project. You should also show a comparison chart and any research that other students and users could use as 'proof' of the point they're trying to make to their schools and companies.

Include numbers, and if possible even a map showing the location of any schools or companies that you've helped 'see the light'. I will be starting a project to inform my school about the benefits of using Linux (ubuntu/edubuntu and xubuntu(for older hardware)). If you like I can participate in your project.

jan
June 22nd, 2006, 02:13 AM
Nice action.

vialick
June 29th, 2006, 10:11 AM
It's looking well, and I wish you the best of luck

rcarring
June 29th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I get a page not found error when trying to load the home page for Linux Campaign.

m0gsi
June 30th, 2006, 03:57 PM
If you are still looking for hosting i can give you 100mb on killfall.gotdns.com for free. With FTP access and PHP5. One problem we have to turn it off for 2 weeks in the summer but apart from that it is is 24/7.