PDA

View Full Version : No Opera 10.5 for Linux...

chessnerd
May 31st, 2010, 02:36 PM
Some of you might have heard that, recently, support for Opera on the Solaris platform was dropped indefinitely. Unfortunately, there will be no release of Opera 10.5 for Linux/BSD UNIX as well. It was officlly stated on the Opera Desktop Team Blog that "For Unix users, this obviously means that there will be no 10.5x version."

Instead, the first stable Linux release will be of Opera 10.6! (http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/05/31/opera-10-60-alpha-1)

I'm trying out the Linux alpha right now. It's sooo fast! It loads pages faster, it's Javascript benchmarks are off the charts, and it even opens itself faster. Also, I like the new look of the menu button and speed dial. It really is starting to integrate into GTK very nicely.

Opera must hire machines to run their development process because I don't understand how they could possibly have created another great version of their browser just a few months after their greatest version ever.

I feel bad for the poor Chromium devs who thought they could rest. Just when they thought they had 10.5 beaten, Opera just runs past them again. :P

"The fastest browser on Earth" just got a even faster! :D

Phrea
May 31st, 2010, 02:43 PM
Grrr, you scared me there for a little ! :D

EDIT: this does mean we have to wait even longer tho... :|

Achetar
May 31st, 2010, 02:44 PM
Yea me too!

Shining Arcanine
May 31st, 2010, 02:49 PM
I am already running Opera 10.5 on Gentoo Linux. Now, I am told it is not available. That is a shame. Time to go open Opera 10.5 and do some web browsing in the browser I will never have on my system for nostalgia's sake. :/

del_diablo
May 31st, 2010, 03:13 PM
10.54 is currently good and stable. Giving out a proper stable version will be good.

mkvnmtr
May 31st, 2010, 03:40 PM
I have been using 10.5 for a couple of months on a few systems. I think I got what was called a snapshot. It is very good. I use it mainly for twitter and some blogs to keep up with all the drug killings here in Mexico. Seems to be kind of slow opening some of the sites but not as slow an anything else. Chrome I only use for google map and satelite views for places to fish. For everything else Firefox and no-script still has my business.

koleoptero
May 31st, 2010, 03:42 PM
I'd love to have a version of opera in linux that works and integrates as good as the rest of the browsers with the various DEs. I hope they just get that right, the rest is already great (I love its mail client and chat).

And then of course it would be nice if all the sites were working properly with opera (which is not opera's fault most of the times).

I'll be eagerly waiting for a stable release.

PaulW2U
May 31st, 2010, 03:53 PM
I'm trying out the Linux alpha right now.
Me too. It seems to be running fine. I haven't noticed any problems, all pages have rendered correctly and unlike 10.10 it hasn't crashed on one of my frequently visited sites.

Probably the best 'alpha' release I've tried from Opera. :cool:

emma00
May 31st, 2010, 03:59 PM
i didn't find opera more better than firefox it do not load quickly as firefox does and no add ons

gradinaruvasile
May 31st, 2010, 04:14 PM
I love it. It has all the stuff i need bundled in, no extensions required - adblocker, mail, bookmark sync, notes etc.
Also it has a very good user-friendly interface (yes, it takes a while to get used to it, but it is very fast afterwards).

chessnerd
May 31st, 2010, 04:44 PM

EDIT: this does mean we have to wait even longer tho... :|

That was the idea... :evil:

I don't think it will be that much longer. There was supposed to be a stable release of 10.5 in June, and 10.6 should probably be out by July.

10.54 is currently good and stable. Giving out a proper stable version will be good.
I agree. The current 10.54 build for Linux is quite stable. So far, the 10.6 alpha has been equally stable.

I love it. It has all the stuff i need bundled in, no extensions required - adblocker, mail, bookmark sync, notes etc.
This is one of the big reasons I love Opera.
I love the feed reader/mail client, which is nicer than any stand-alone one. I love the mouse gestures. I love browsing on my desktop, then going to my laptop and finding all of my new bookmarks, site history, speed dial changes, and everything there.
Opera just makes web browsing easier and more fun...

Phrea
May 31st, 2010, 05:08 PM
I test run it on a computer atm, it seems to work fine indeed, I think it's the 10.53b1.
Was so happy to read it would come out in early June, but now that they are skipping it, we have to wait a bit more again. :|

They had a very nice release schedule graphic, but I forgot to bookmark/save it. :\

Linuxforall
May 31st, 2010, 05:25 PM
Not only Opera loads faster than Firefox and that too being a suite, it also blows Firefox and Chrome latest beta on Peacekeeper here.

lovinglinux
May 31st, 2010, 05:41 PM
EDIT: clearly, I can't share the information previously posted here without causing a flame war, even not criticizing Opera, so I'm out of this thread.

Linuxforall
May 31st, 2010, 05:54 PM
See if you like FF or Chrome use it by all means, this is after all a Opera thread so why not just keep it at that. In fact apart from Opera, Google's Chrome wipes the floor of FF, all the bum rap that Ubuntu and other Linux distros get is due to FF's issues, slowing down, slow to load, hanging at different pages are just some of the blames levellled at Ubuntu by new users when the culprit is the choice of default browser by the linux distro clan, maybe Chromium should be getting the tilt here and Opera as an alternate install choice along with FF for those who must have it. Of course FF can do all but can it do mail, torrent, IRC, newsreader and manage to stay on top of each and every benchmarks levelled against it, not to mention a sterling record at Secunia, I don't think so considering the various security related issues that have popped up days after new release of new FF editions, that makes IE6 and 7 look better than FF.

But if you must have all them fancy extensions and FF, by all means do so and enjoy, that won't make it better, equal to or faster than Opera or Chrome.

Phrea
May 31st, 2010, 06:43 PM
EDIT: clearly, I can't share the information previously posted here without causing a flame war, even not criticizing Opera, so I'm out of this thread.

Yeah... :\
Seems like a waste.

Oh well.

aladinonl
May 31st, 2010, 06:47 PM
I used to be an Opera fanboy couple of years ago, until the number of my passwords piled up.

I have to switch to FF because it is so much easier to manage passwords, especially with addon like lastpass.

Lastpass does have bookmarklet for Opera but it's just not the same.

If Opera finally listens to many of its users craving for YEARS!!! to provide a decent password manager (able to view, edit, import, export, sync) or agree to let Lastpass fulfills the job, I'll switch back immediately.

It still bothers me every time I come across a browser discussion. WHy, Opera, Why??

m4tic
May 31st, 2010, 06:52 PM
i live with OperaMini, Opera Mobile, Opera browser+ mail and MyOpera Community. How do they do it?

chessnerd
June 1st, 2010, 12:40 AM
i live with OperaMini, Opera Mobile, Opera browser+ mail and MyOpera Community. How do they do it?

From my understanding, the Opera software developers are placed in a research base in Scandinavia for months on end and are only given food when they make good products.

Obviously, they eat quite well... :)

The Opera team is amazing at what they do. Maybe some day they will have the marketshare to go with their efforts. I had hoped that 10.5 would do this. Maybe 10.6 will finally be "the" version of Opera.