PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Zoom in any window to fullscreen mode

kontiky
May 31st, 2010, 02:28 PM
Is it possible to zoom in any window to fullscreen mode with hiding gnome panels? Is there any shortcuts to zoom in/out for this?

stinkeye
May 31st, 2010, 02:45 PM
In system > preferences > keyboard shortcuts
you can bind a key to toggle full-screen mode.

Lampi
May 31st, 2010, 02:51 PM
usually that's already set to F11, isn't it?

edit: nope, this might be desktop dependent as well (kde,gnome,fluxbox)

just do as stinkeye says and you're good to go

kontiky
May 31st, 2010, 02:54 PM
In system > preferences > keyboard shortcuts
you can bind a key to toggle full-screen mode.
I haven't my Ubuntu near me to try this now... but could you also say in what "keyboard shortcuts" subgroup is this "toggle full-screen mode" command?

kontiky
May 31st, 2010, 02:55 PM
just do as stinkeye says and you're good to go
Do you remember exact toggle full screen mode command name?

stinkeye
May 31st, 2010, 03:16 PM
Do you remember exact toggle full screen mode command name?
You can use wmctrl to toggle the active window to fullscreen.

Install wmctrl

sudo apt-get install wmctrl

To toggle fullscreen of the active window use...

wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b toggle,fullscreen

or you can specify the window ...eg for firefox

wmctrl -r firefox -b toggle,fullscreen

kontiky
May 31st, 2010, 03:19 PM
You can use wmctrl to toggle the active window to fullscreen.
So, by default, gnome hasn't fullscreen command?

stinkeye
May 31st, 2010, 03:29 PM
So, by default, gnome hasn't fullscreen command?
Probably has but I don't know it.

stinkeye
May 31st, 2010, 03:35 PM
I haven't my Ubuntu near me to try this now... but could you also say in what "keyboard shortcuts" subgroup is this "toggle full-screen mode" command?

Window Management

kontiky
May 31st, 2010, 09:33 PM
Window Management
Thanks. I tried to assign shortkey to "Window Management/Toggle fullscreen mode" command but, unfortunately, without any effect for Eclipse and Nautilus windows ;(

stinkeye
June 1st, 2010, 02:43 AM
Thanks. I tried to assign shortkey to "Window Management/Toggle fullscreen mode" command but, unfortunately, without any effect for Eclipse and Nautilus windows ;(

I don't use eclipse but assigning f11 to Toggle fullscreen works for all my windows
including nautilus.

kontiky
June 4th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I don't use eclipse but assigning f11 to Toggle fullscreen works for all my windows including nautilus.
I've found what Gnome "Toggle fullscreen" command works if I switch off Compiz in my Ubuntu.
But how to force this command with working Compiz?

stinkeye
June 4th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I've found what Gnome "Toggle fullscreen" command works if I switch off Compiz in my Ubuntu.
But how to force this command with working Compiz?

You probably need to activate the Extra WM Actions plugin under Window Management in CCSM.
When you set the the fullscreen toggle to f11 in keyboard shortcuts it also sets it for compiz but it wont work unless you have the plugin enabled.

kontiky
June 4th, 2010, 10:02 PM
You probably need to activate the Extra WM Actions plugin under Window Management in CCSM.
When you set the the fullscreen toggle to f11 in keyboard shortcuts it also sets it for compiz but it wont work unless you have the plugin enabled.
Bingo! Finally, it helped!
Thanks a lot!

lukanova
October 13th, 2010, 09:25 PM
i was looking for this solution for ages! i loved the ability to full screen anything you're working on. and at some point in past few years this stopped working. now i know why and now it works!

thanks for this solution.

l.

shell-fu
December 2nd, 2010, 06:52 AM
A note for Ubuntu 10.10 users. I found that the "Extra WM Actions" plugin wasn't available in CompizConfig Settings Manager. To make sure you have everything installed, run the following in a terminal:

sudo aptitude install -y compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-fusion-plugins-extra

Then open System -> Preferences -> CompizConfig Settings Mangager. The "Extra WM Actions" plugin should now be available under "Window Management". Check it and click "Close".

Restart your X-server by logging out and back in again. The "Toggle fullscreen" keyboard shortcut should now work with whatever you set in the main Gnome keyboard shortcuts settings.