PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Migration boot camp for those who want to understand, not only use?

Istrebitel
May 31st, 2010, 11:42 AM
Greetings.

I am a newbie to linux and kubuntu, although i have some past knowledge when i was attending to red hat courses of installing and administrating enterprise linux, but without constant practice i of course forgot most of it.

I would like to understand how linux works and be a "pro", because in Windows i would consider mysef such. Would not like to brag, but i can solve most of the problems or tasks related to windows desktop operations systems, and if i dont know the solution i know where to look or what can be the source of it. I understand very well how the windows operation system works from inside as i've read books and had years of practice, both hobby and job-related.

Of course, i could start from scratch, reading books about linux from the 0.01 and how it evolved to what i have now installed on my pc, but that would take enormous amount of time! I would prefer to "build bridges from the knowledge i have about windows" instead of bulding from scratch.

So, what i was looking for when migrating to linux, is a guide to linux from a windows experienced user POV. Unfortunately all i found was guides for, how shoud i say, casuals, which tell that "migration is simple nowadays when there are gui installers, auto update and stuff, just try it and have fun". They explain basics about linux and introduce a newcomer to some of its fundamentals but its all. Unfortunately, this was not what i was seeking for. They tend to "protect" the newcomers from the "disgusting" parts of linux - the "dreaded" command line. I even saw a person comment the article "Thank you but please dont use command line scripts in your tutorials - you will scare newbies away from Ubuntu"

I've read documentation on ubuntu on the site, that gave only basics. I've read kubuntu forums "documentation" page but it also mostly provides faqs on the specific problems, like how to make audio work etc.

I am asking the community, is there such a thing in a world that i am looking for, and maybe someone knows articles or books with said approach? A book or an article or faq for a windows professional, that gets you up and running, teaching you how to be an advanced linux user or at least giving you insights on everything of the matter.

I suppose someone should have walked the path i did, and he would have the same kind of migration, and thus probably such "boot camp" would exist, just maybe i cant find it because i'm not googling it right?

_Mark_
May 31st, 2010, 11:53 AM
Not sure about boot camp but a little light reading for you

http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

ronnielsen1
May 31st, 2010, 11:58 AM
They tend to "protect" the newcomers from the "disgusting" parts of linux - the "dreaded" command line. I even saw a person comment the article "Thank you but please dont use command line scripts in your tutorials - you will scare newbies away from Ubuntu"

Really! Surprises me. The reason that command line is prevalent on this forum is because ubuntu actually supports so many window managers/desktop environments. You can't tell someone a gui way for Ubuntu that would work in kubuntu or lubuntu etc., but sudo always works.
Do you have a link (curious)

Istrebitel
May 31st, 2010, 04:55 PM
2 Mark
thank you i'll read that, looks interesting!
upd: heh up from the simpliest basics (files, binary system...), but still i'll give it a try of course, might get interesting later :)

2 ronnielsen1
i'll try to find it, it was one of the articles about how to make ubuntu not prompt for a password when you mount a drive...

Istrebitel
June 3rd, 2010, 02:41 PM
Great book, still reading it (will take a long time) but it is a little outdated. Is there something written using today's actual information (because maybe some problems are already gone or new ways of solving them exist, new standarts appeared etc)