PDA

View Full Version : Hi. My Name Is Derek, And I Am An Ubuntu Addict.

derekeverett
May 31st, 2010, 10:55 AM
I had a moment of clarity today in which I came to realize that I am an Ubuntu addict. No joke.

The definition of an addict is someone who engages in the same or similar behavior(s) repeatedly despite negative results or consequences. That describes my relationship with Ubuntu exactly.

Ubuntu doesn't serve my needs, professionally or recreationally nearly as well as Windows or OS X do. Yet I'm still here. I've been using Ubuntu since 6.06 and I've installed every single release since that time.

While I admit, 10.04 has been the best of them all for me to date, I still suffer from the decisions I seem to make at boot time in grub. It would only be a keystroke and I could have a problem free evening with Windows 7, but too often I come to Ubuntu.

I work at home. And I am required to connect to the terminal services at the office. I struggle some nights to keep Remote Desktop from crashing. I repeat, 10.04 is better so far than the others where for sure, but some nights I have to log back in and start over half a dozen times. I don't think it's ever crashed in Windows.

I write and record music in my spare time. I can't get pulseaudio to recognize the input jack in my sound card so I can't record with Ubuntu. So I have to record in Windows using Audacity. This same problem prevents me from making screen-casts, which is another thing I like to do - despite having over $2000 worth of audio recording equipment.

I enjoy youtube on the web. I have a couple of channels. But I can hardly stand to watch them or any other videos because I can't trust flash not to crash on fullscreen or lock up my web browser. I also can't click the little pop-up ads off half the time.

I get so mad sometimes that people leave the room lol. Yet I keep using it. I love customizing it and learning things in the terminal.

I do some programming as a hobby. I seem to enjoy it more in Linux even though I know that makes no sense at all. It's no different in Windows... yet it seems less fun to me.

I used OS X for years. I love the mac for audio recording and making videos. There is nothing better than a mac for that kind of stuff, I don't care what anybody says. Yet I sold my last one and I don't really want another as I had no luck installing Ubuntu alongside OS X and I'm not much for virtual machines (other than to quickly check out a distro).

I can screen-cast from Windows no problem. I even have a virtual machine with a few different distros on it so I could even linux-screencast from there. But I won't. This week I will buy an Ubuntu capable microphone. Despite of course already owning several high quality mics.

I need a microphone to work with Ubuntu. I am an addict.

There's the old "first hit is free" joke about crack dealers. Ubuntu did something like that to me. They told me it was free as in free speech AND free beer. Then they showed me all these neat effects. I was sold. I can't even remember the last time I used the effects. And now I'm buying equipment I already own because of Ubuntu compatibility. So much for free as in free beer. I guess I can still cling to free speech though.

Whatever. It's fun. Most of the time anyway. I think. lol

HappinessNow
May 31st, 2010, 11:32 AM
I had a moment of clarity today in which I came to realize that I am an Ubuntu addict. No joke.

The definition of an addict is someone who engages in the same or similar behavior(s) repeatedly despite negative results or consequences. That describes my relationship with Ubuntu exactly.

Ubuntu doesn't serve my needs, professionally or recreationally nearly as well as Windows or OS X do. Yet I'm still here. I've been using Ubuntu since 6.06 and I've installed every single release since that time.

While I admit, 10.04 has been the best of them all for me to date, I still suffer from the decisions I seem to make at boot time in grub. It would only be a keystroke and I could have a problem free evening with Windows 7, but too often I come to Ubuntu.

I work at home. And I am required to connect to the terminal services at the office. I struggle some nights to keep Remote Desktop from crashing. I repeat, 10.04 is better so far than the others where for sure, but some nights I have to log back in and start over half a dozen times. I don't think it's ever crashed in Windows.

I write and record music in my spare time. I can't get pulseaudio to recognize the input jack in my sound card so I can't record with Ubuntu. So I have to record in Windows using Audacity. This same problem prevents me from making screen-casts, which is another thing I like to do - despite having over $2000 worth of audio recording equipment.

I enjoy youtube on the web. I have a couple of channels. But I can hardly stand to watch them or any other videos because I can't trust flash not to crash on fullscreen or lock up my web browser. I also can't click the little pop-up ads off half the time.

I get so mad sometimes that people leave the room lol. Yet I keep using it. I love customizing it and learning things in the terminal.

I do some programming as a hobby. I seem to enjoy it more in Linux even though I know that makes no sense at all. It's no different in Windows... yet it seems less fun to me.

I used OS X for years. I love the mac for audio recording and making videos. There is nothing better than a mac for that kind of stuff, I don't care what anybody says. Yet I sold my last one and I don't really want another as I had no luck installing Ubuntu alongside OS X and I'm not much for virtual machines (other than to quickly check out a distro).

I can screen-cast from Windows no problem. I even have a virtual machine with a few different distros on it so I could even linux-screencast from there. But I won't. This week I will buy an Ubuntu capable microphone. Despite of course already owning several high quality mics.

There's the old "first hit is free" joke about crack dealers. Ubuntu did something like that to me. They told me it was free as in free speech AND free beer. Then they showed me all these neat effects. I was sold. I can't even remember the last time I used the effects. And now I'm buying equipment I already own because of Ubuntu compatibility. So much for free as in free beer. I guess I can still cling to free speech though.

Derek it is great that you are 'just' an Ubuntu addict, for a second I thought you were plagued with the ill-fated "Acute Linux Distro Multiplicity Addiction Syndrome" (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=547313&highlight=rav+tux)!

Thank goodness you will be okay! :P

ssj6akshat
May 31st, 2010, 11:38 AM
Derek it is great that you are 'just' an Ubuntu addict, for a second I thought you were plagued with the ill-fated "Acute Linux Distro Multiplicity Addiction Syndrome" (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=547313&highlight=rav+tux)!

:lolflag:

derekeverett
May 31st, 2010, 11:40 AM

I almost had a problem with that too.. but I keep coming back to Ubuntu.

Jakiejake
May 31st, 2010, 12:07 PM

My Name Is Jacob And I'm An Ubuntu Addict
What I Think
I've Been Using Ubuntu Since 10.04 But have tried other linux things before
What Do I say to Windows and OS X
(Mods Please Don't Give Me A warning for this, you must agree I'm right though!) SCREW YOU!!!

derekeverett
May 31st, 2010, 12:10 PM
My Name Is Jacob And I'm An Ubuntu Addict
What I Think
I've Been Using Ubuntu Since 10.04 But have tried other linux things before
What Do I say to Windows and OS X
(Mods Please Don't Give Me A warning for this, you must agree I'm right though!) SCREW YOU!!!

I can't agree with that man sorry. Too many times that I would have been in a real jam if I didn't have Windows around. I don't like it either... but right now it's a requirement. I wouldn't be able to work or participate in my favorite hobbies without Windows. I'd be broke and bored to death.

Jakiejake
May 31st, 2010, 12:16 PM
I can't agree with that man sorry. Too many times that I would have been in a real jam if I didn't have Windows around. I don't like it either... but right now it's a requirement. I wouldn't be able to work or participate in my favorite hobbies without Windows. I'd be broke and bored to death.

Yes
But Linux Is The Future
And all the super computers use it
Says BBC
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9387676
Sweet! :guitar:

derekeverett
May 31st, 2010, 12:23 PM
Yes
But Linux Is The Future
And all the super computers use it
Says BBC
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9387676
Sweet! :guitar:

Absolutely. If you have Millions of dollars and a staff of computer scientists and IT professionals at your disposal Linux can be made to do some amazing things!

I'd be a hundred times more impressed at a small company that was able to get things working properly with even MOSTLY open source software.

The company I work for looked briefly at using Linux for a dispatch system. By the time every thing was built (talking about software here) we would have paid more than 30 times what we paid for the "out of box" Windows software. Sure, the custom made Linux stuff would have been tailor made for our particular business and worked more to our liking, but we simply couldn't afford it. Google, NASA, these outfits can.

So it's really not that impressive that they use Linux. Not to me anyway. If I was in charge of an organization that size I wouldn't want to get set back by a proprietary system either. I'd everything built for a Linux system too.

ibuclaw
May 31st, 2010, 12:27 PM
Linux, a true story... (http://xkcd.com/456/)

YuiDaoren
May 31st, 2010, 12:38 PM
I'd be a hundred times more impressed at a small company that was able to get things working properly with even MOSTLY open source software.Small, not-for-profit children's emergency shelter I once worked for now runs 100% FOSS. (Yes, my doing :P ) 8 aging desktops running Ubuntu Linux, open office, and Scribus with a few other tidbits. Saved a ton of capital on licenses, upgrades (software and hardware) and the like. Only one donated Lexmark printer was ever any trouble. Users took about 6 working days to adapt to the changes.

Impressed? :D

derekeverett
May 31st, 2010, 01:22 PM
Small, not-for-profit children's emergency shelter I once worked for now runs 100% FOSS. (Yes, my doing :P ) 8 aging desktops running Ubuntu Linux, open office, and Scribus with a few other tidbits. Saved a ton of capital on licenses, upgrades (software and hardware) and the like. Only one donated Lexmark printer was ever any trouble. Users took about 6 working days to adapt to the changes.

Of course!

I was actually meaning a company that needed particular software - like a dispatch system in my example (this requires handling a GPS system and multiple cars and dispatchers), but I'm always happy to hear about Linux in places like you mention!

Good of you to help them cut costs as well. I got my boss using Open Office, then he switched the whole company over to it... but that's as far as we have been able to go work wise.

robi_sabocanec
May 31st, 2010, 01:47 PM

You've almost described me too :)
I also appreciate you have realistic, not underrate, attitude against Windows and OS X. :cheers:

VastOne
May 31st, 2010, 05:46 PM
Linux, a true story... (http://xkcd.com/456/)

+1

:guitar:

xkcd is awesome...

sydbat
May 31st, 2010, 05:55 PM
<sniped for length>I know people who are counsellors at the former AADAC*. Should I make an appointment for you?

*Now called Alberta Health Services: Addictions and Mental Health

Jakiejake
June 1st, 2010, 06:06 AM
Absolutely. If you have Millions of dollars and a staff of computer scientists and IT professionals at your disposal Linux can be made to do some amazing things!

I'd be a hundred times more impressed at a small company that was able to get things working properly with even MOSTLY open source software.

The company I work for looked briefly at using Linux for a dispatch system. By the time every thing was built (talking about software here) we would have paid more than 30 times what we paid for the "out of box" Windows software. Sure, the custom made Linux stuff would have been tailor made for our particular business and worked more to our liking, but we simply couldn't afford it. Google, NASA, these outfits can.

So it's really not that impressive that they use Linux. Not to me anyway. If I was in charge of an organization that size I wouldn't want to get set back by a proprietary system either. I'd everything built for a Linux system too.

I find for mostly everything there is a free/paid Linux Alternative...

yunone
June 1st, 2010, 06:55 AM
Small, not-for-profit children's emergency shelter I once worked for now runs 100% FOSS. (Yes, my doing :P ) 8 aging desktops running Ubuntu Linux, open office, and Scribus with a few other tidbits. Saved a ton of capital on licenses, upgrades (software and hardware) and the like. Only one donated Lexmark printer was ever any trouble. Users took about 6 working days to adapt to the changes.

that is impressive, especially when you talk about saving money for a NFP....every dime saved can be put to good use elsewhere....great job!

HappinessNow
June 5th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I almost had a problem with that too.. but I keep coming back to Ubuntu.

Good to hear. :P

jerenept
June 5th, 2010, 11:28 PM
this website may make things clear http://xkcd.com/456/

EDIT: Damn, someone beat me to it.

Well, Microsoft would like to help you with your problem...

ibuclaw
June 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM
this website may make things clear http://xkcd.com/456/

Only 6 days behind the times? Shocking... ;)

kaldor
June 6th, 2010, 04:17 PM

My question is how you manage to have so many problems with Linux?!

mamamia88
June 6th, 2010, 04:30 PM
me too i would probably go into withdraw if i had to use another os solely for a week.

Austin25
June 6th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I don't have a problem. I got it pretty much worked out. Just fix everything.