PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint OS

WinterRain
May 31st, 2010, 05:35 AM
Kendall Weaver has announced the release of Peppermint OS One-05222010, a lightweight, Lubuntu-based desktop Linux distribution featuring the Openbox window manager and many web-based applications: "We're proud to offer the first official Peppermint OS respin, featuring a fully updated system, a few bug fixes, and a few new features. We're going to be respinning the ISO every few weeks in order to make sure that fresh downloads will reflect the improvements we're making. Note that it's easy to update your existing Peppermint OS installation, so if you have it running the way you want it, there's no reason to download a respin. What's new? Mouse and keyboard settings are persistent; improved localization support for folders; Quick Search in Synaptic now works; improved support for printing to PDF format; improved support for 3g connectivity..."

http://peppermintos.com/

I'm using it on my old laptop, and it's pretty nice and extremely light. It's kind of like Lubuntu, but with better apps (for me) and codecs.
http://omploader.org/tNGg2NQ (http://omploader.org/vNGg2NQ)
http://omploader.org/tNGg2Nw (http://omploader.org/vNGg2Nw)

Shazzam6999
May 31st, 2010, 05:38 AM
I was thinking about trying it, but it seems really bloated and I think the reason that I would use LXDE would be to avoid bloat. I haven't tried it either so I could be completely wrong as well :p.

WinterRain
May 31st, 2010, 05:43 AM
I was thinking about trying it, but it seems really bloated and I think the reason that I would use LXDE would be to avoid bloat. I haven't tried it either so I could be completely wrong as well :p.

I just replaced Lubuntu with peppermint, and have to say that peppermint seems a tad quicker. It could be splitting hairs, but I like the default apps and look of it better than lubuntu. But that's just me.

kaldor
May 31st, 2010, 05:59 AM
I don't know what it is, but I hate LXDE. It just feels gross to use.

Stancel
May 31st, 2010, 06:04 AM
that is beautiful. Canonical needs to realize that is what people want to use. Only one panel is necessary for the desktop.

marshmallow1304
May 31st, 2010, 06:37 AM
that is beautiful. Canonical needs to realize that is what people want to use. Only one panel is necessary for the desktop.

The first thing I do in LXDE is add a panel to the top. To each his own.

smellyman
May 31st, 2010, 07:58 AM

it is far from bloated.

Plumtreed
May 31st, 2010, 02:15 PM
No it is not bloated,far from it.

It looks slick and runs quickly. Leans towards web based apps so doesn't have many heavy weight apps included. If needed they can be downloaded,
Based on Lubuntu and Ubuntu so should be familiar to Ubuntu users.

I find it especially appealing on my laptop because it loads and shuts down in an instant!

Worth a look.

Shining Arcanine
May 31st, 2010, 02:53 PM
That looks nice. I think I might give Openbox and all of the other bundled software a try on Gentoo Linux. There are so many options on operating systems like Gentoo Linux, it is difficult to pick what is good and what is not. The nice thing about binary distributions is that they showcase software that is available to me, which lets me improve my experience. :)

WinterRain
May 31st, 2010, 06:40 PM
That looks nice.

I agree. I'm sick of blue OS's. Peppermint rocks.

uRock
May 31st, 2010, 06:54 PM
I have been running their LiveCD a lot lately. Running it on a 64bit machine and it is so much lighter that it runs faster than the 64bit Ubuntu that is installed.

I noticed the arguments about it being bloated. Some people seem to think that just because an OS "just works" that it has to be bloated.

Peppermint gets a high rating from me because it is lightweight, uses Ubuntu repos, so getting needed programs is just as easy, the preset Prisms are great for quick access to email and Facebook, and they have really nice theming going on.(Just have to move the buttons back to the right.) Its speed is really great.

Puppy fell off of my list because it has to be configured to work with my nVidia every time I boot.

uRock

Rasa1111
May 31st, 2010, 06:55 PM
looks nice, sounds niice~

Lucid is my new lovechild though. lol <3

and, peppermint? who names these things?... [rhetorical].
:lol:

no originality.
and a lil peppermint candy icon? haha

whats next? "Tree" OS? , 'Cake OS'
or maybe 'Car' OS,
maybe colors? ....
red OS, blue OS, green OS, yellow OS. lol

I almost said Moon OS, but it already exists~
(I kinda wanna try it to!) lol :p

I think I will make a disc of this just to have though.

dondiego2
June 1st, 2010, 11:14 PM
I have been running their LiveCD a lot lately. Running it on a 64bit machine and it is so much lighter that it runs faster than the 64bit Ubuntu that is installed.

I downloaded the iso, burned it to a disk and it won't boot. I get a boot error. Should I try and burn another coaster or try another download?

uRock
June 2nd, 2010, 12:35 AM
I downloaded the iso, burned it to a disk and it won't boot. I get a boot error. Should I try and burn another coaster or try another download?

Could be a bad burn or download. If you don't mind the thought of wasting a disk, then go for it. I have booted Peppermint on three different machines, so I have faith the image should work.

Sealbhach
June 2nd, 2010, 01:44 AM
I did a USB test drive of Peppermint a while back, I was very impressed with the hardware recognition, the nice desktop design and the speed. It's a very well put together distro.

K.Mandla
June 2nd, 2010, 01:57 AM
Personally I have to disagree. Default desktops just don't matter.

I'm using it on my old laptop, and it's pretty nice and extremely light. It's kind of like Lubuntu, but with better apps (for me) and codecs.
I've tried it and came away rather nonplussed. It seems to me if anything, the stuff that's in Lubuntu is ripped out, and what's left are links to common cloud computing services piped through Prism. It didn't seem to run any lighter than Lubuntu for me.

But to each his own. Enjoy. ;)

-grubby
June 2nd, 2010, 02:00 AM
Not to be the party pooper, but do we really need another Ubuntu-derivative? Why couldn't this have been made into a script :/.

uRock
June 2nd, 2010, 02:14 AM
Not to be the party pooper, but do we really need another Ubuntu-derivative? Why couldn't this have been made into a script :/.

Because the Lubuntu team was too small to iron it out in time to be a supported release. Not to mention Lubuntu would probably end up being bloated, just like Xubuntu, with gnome libraries.

WinterRain
June 2nd, 2010, 02:19 AM

I say the more, the merrier. I could make my own "distro" if I wanted, but I'm lazy, and glad people come out with derivatives. All I need to do is download, and install. Some people like that approach ya know. I needed a lightweight distro for my old lappie, and the thought of doing a minimal install and running a script didn't appeal to me. PeppermintOS already did the work for me. ;)

dondiego2
June 2nd, 2010, 03:14 AM
Could be a bad burn or download. If you don't mind the thought of wasting a disk, then go for it. I have booted Peppermint on three different machines, so I have faith the image should work.

I just did the md5sum on the iso file and it didn't match. So I'll try downloading it again.

uRock
June 2nd, 2010, 05:53 PM
I did a full install of Peppermint last night. I have been using it ever since and it runs pretty well. Much lighter, much faster, and I like the webapps.

LowSky
June 2nd, 2010, 06:02 PM
I'm not a fan of peppermint. I'm more of a Spearmint kind of guy?

bad joke I know...

JustinR
June 23rd, 2010, 07:26 AM
Hey everybody,

Has anyone ever thought about trying out Peppermint OS? Its a lightweight linux distro based on Ubuntu and Linux Mint. It uses openbox as its windows manager although its not classified as a lightweight distro. Its around 450MB.

I looked at their website (http://peppermintos.com/) and it looks really nice for people who like a simpler GUI interface. I'm downloading it to try it out in Virtualbox. I'll post how it all goes.

But by the looks of it, it looks really nice.

It also is supposed to have more social functions than Ubuntu does, eg. integration with GMail.

Anyone else heard of it? Its supposed to be pretty new - its also gotten good reviews, especially at DistroWatch.

Oh, I forgot to mention that its supposed to have good cloud computing integration. (eg. Instead of OpenOffice it has internet links to Google Docs)

Legendary_Bibo
June 23rd, 2010, 10:47 AM
It's not considered lightweight because its system requirements are the same as Ubuntu's :|
A lightweight distro has to support 128mb RAM.

It does look nice though, but Lubuntu is running fast on my old machine and it does the only thing I use it for very well, which is just internet browsing.

overdrank
June 23rd, 2010, 11:02 AM
Threads merged :)

philinux
June 23rd, 2010, 11:28 AM
It's not considered lightweight because its system requirements are the same as Ubuntu's :|

http://peppermintos.com/about-peppermint/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

I think you'll be surprised.

Legendary_Bibo
June 23rd, 2010, 11:51 AM
http://peppermintos.com/about-peppermint/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

I think you'll be surprised.

Eh? It must have been changed between 9.10 and 10.04 because I remember trying to put Ubuntu on my old machine and I was warned that I needed at least 256mb of RAM (for some reason only 244mb is detected on both XP and Linux).

sidzen
June 23rd, 2010, 12:14 PM

Give me one example of an extant, freely-acquired lightweight distro, then, please