PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04 and lost these feature(s)

FirstByté
May 31st, 2010, 05:22 AM
I recently upgraded to 10.04 Lucid a while ago.

I don't know if anyone else needs this feature but I use it a lot.

MOUSE-OVER RHYTHMBOX PLAYER ICON FUNCTIONALITIES

In previous releases, one of my favorites about RhythmBox was the fact that if you need to control things such as volume or check presently playing track, you can do so just by a mouse-over action and a scroll mouse over the Top-panel tray icon. It's all gone. Need to say the new click-on is good too but it's without the mouse scroll or Mouse-Over INFO :cry:

How can I re-enable it please? Why should I click on RhythmBox player each time just to control volume ](*,)

BUILT-IN MIC CEASED WORKING
Since upgrading to 10.04, only external mics work

lazyart
May 31st, 2010, 11:57 AM
Right click on your panel, select Add to Panel.
Now drag the Indicator Applet where you want it. You'll get the volume (and evolution) icons.

FirstByté
May 31st, 2010, 02:51 PM
Right click on your panel, select Add to Panel.
Now drag the Indicator Applet where you want it. You'll get the volume (and evolution) icons.

Thanks for the hint. However, I guess my statement was misconstrued.

Whenever I'm playing RhythmBox, the icon actually shows up just like 'volume icon', 'connections icon', 'Mail icon', etc. But rather, unlike previous releases where when you are playing a song in Rhythmbox, you can be on another application and just move your mouse over the Rhythmbox icon at the [top] panel and it would show the "Album art", "Artist Name".

To control the Rhythmbox volume, all you needed to do was just move the mouse over the Rhythmbox icon and roll your mouse wheel and it will slide "Magically"!

Now, you need to click on "Rhythmbox Icon" to see the Song info: Artist, Song title etc.

Is there a way to re-enable the "tool-tip artist info, volume control" without clicking.

apoq
May 31st, 2010, 05:21 PM
I agree, I found scrolling over the Rhythmbox icon to control the volume very useful, and although one can still do it over the volume control button, not all use cases are covered.
Take for example an instance when a user is trying to turn the volume of the music down while keeping the volume of other applications constant(e.g. Skype).
I also do not agree with needing two clicks to open Rhythmbox as most of the time I click the icon is to open up the application and not the application menu(which should be openable with a right click).

FirstByté
June 1st, 2010, 06:29 AM
I agree, I found scrolling over the Rhythmbox icon to control the volume very useful, and although one can still do it over the volume control button, not all use cases are covered.
Take for example an instance when a user is trying to turn the volume of the music down while keeping the volume of other applications constant(e.g. Skype).
I also do not agree with needing two clicks to open Rhythmbox as most of the time I click the icon is to open up the application and not the application menu(which should be openable with a right click).

Thanks for seeing this much useful-but-removed feature too.

Is there a way to HAVE THIS BACK? I miss it :( dearly

teachop
June 1st, 2010, 06:43 AM
Not alone... Almost every day someone new posts about loss of indicator "systray" features. I agree 100% on your original post but don't know how to get it back.

There is so much good in 10.04, I am loving it. Heres hoping these lost things return (mouseover, tooltips, etc) in 10.10 or sooner to make ubuntu even better.

FirstByté
June 2nd, 2010, 04:19 AM
Not alone... Almost every day someone new posts about loss of indicator "systray" features. I agree 100% on your original post but don't know how to get it back.

There is so much good in 10.04, I am loving it. Heres hoping these lost things return (mouseover, tooltips, etc) in 10.10 or sooner to make ubuntu even better.

+ 50,000 to this
:popcorn:

FirstByté
June 4th, 2010, 05:34 PM

Interstingly, this feature still exists for the overall main sound volume control icon.

Why was is disabled in RhythmBox???

R.I.P. "Mouse-over SysTray Icon RhythmBox Volume Control" :mad:

skyemoor
September 19th, 2010, 02:22 AM
I too lost volume control (and sound) when I went to 10.04 from 08.04. The 'add to panel" restored my volume control applet, but still no sound.