PDA

View Full Version : Alright.. how many of us are actually Ubuntu users?

kaldor
May 31st, 2010, 04:58 AM
Seems like Arch users are more abundant than Ubuntu users in the Cafe.

I use openSUSE.

Who really uses Ubuntu? I just visit here because it's fun random chitchat and the openSUSE forums are not friendly :)

oh, and who else uses KDE? :)

NightwishFan
May 31st, 2010, 05:01 AM
I use various systems, though for about 4 years Ubuntu has been my main platform. I am looking for alternatives now though, but I still recommend Ubuntu.

I use Gnome and XFCE.

McRat
May 31st, 2010, 05:04 AM
Have two at work so far, and one at home.

My home desktop:

chessnerd
May 31st, 2010, 05:06 AM
I use Ubuntu 10.04 on three computers and currently am not running any other distro. On two I use the default Gnome configuration (but with the Radiance theme) and on the other I have Xfce installed (vanilla Xfce, not Xubuntu desktop).

I want to use KDE, but I just can't seem to bring myself to do it. Something about it feels sluggish and buggy. I like the default theme for the panels and UI elements, but I don't care at all for the default window theme and can't find any others that I like (if you know of a site I can easily download new ones from, by all means, post a link). Also, the package manager is Terrible, bolded and with a capital "T".

Maybe KDE 4.5 will finally do it for me. I hear that it has a lot of stability improvements. I hope to test 4.5 in OpenSuSE 11.3 later this summer because, from my understanding, OpenSuSE does a better job implementing KDE than the Kubuntu team.

NightwishFan
May 31st, 2010, 05:12 AM
That is not really true, Kubuntu is a decent KDE system. I do like OpenSUSE's implementation as well though. I advise you use the software center or synaptic even in KDE, they will work fine. With the qtcurve theme installed they will look like native KDE.

scouser73
May 31st, 2010, 05:16 AM
I use Ubuntu.

BoneKracker
May 31st, 2010, 05:22 AM
Gentoo for the past few years, but I heartily recommend Ubuntu to many people.

(And I heartily recommend Arch to gentoo-like people who don't want to watch crap scroll by for hours at a time).

witeshark17
May 31st, 2010, 05:23 AM
<_< What I run, it's on my primary box... the laptop. There's no other OS :popcorn:

TheNerdAL
May 31st, 2010, 05:23 AM
I use Ubuntu 10.04!

linuxisfree
May 31st, 2010, 05:25 AM
I'm currently an Ubuntu User (Currently at 10.04, been using Ubuntu since 7.04, but i did try 5.10). Oh, and i use GNOME. :)

EDIT: And, yeah, i do use a laptop.

WinterRain
May 31st, 2010, 05:25 AM
3 computers at home run ubuntu. I do have an xp partition though for the occasional game.

Queue29
May 31st, 2010, 05:29 AM
I criticize it a lot, but I use it.

YuiDaoren
May 31st, 2010, 05:30 AM
Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop and my desktop as well as on my wife's desktop.

Timmer1240
May 31st, 2010, 05:33 AM
3 computers mine triple booted Ubuntu win7 xp windows hardly ever gets booted laptopwifes windows 7 for her. Basement computer Ubuntu.I prefer Ubuntu over windows anyday now I love it!I never ever hardly use windows now except to fix em!Feels strange to use windows for me now Ubuntus got me hooked!

BoneKracker
May 31st, 2010, 05:35 AM
<_< What I run, it's on my primary box... the laptop. There's no other OS :popcorn:

"There's no other OS!" (and he has Mac OS X in his sig) :P

witeshark17
May 31st, 2010, 05:38 AM
"There's no other OS!" (and he has Mac OS X in his sig) :P Umm Hey! The other OS is the desktop, not the laptop, and it runs OS X only Hello! :guitar: Oh, and BoneKracker (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=64655) what do you run? :P

Shazzam6999
May 31st, 2010, 05:43 AM
(And I heartily recommend Arch to gentoo-like people who don't want to watch crap scroll by for hours at a time).

Hah, that is exactly why I use Arch over Gentoo. Although, I get a lot of schoolwork done while things compile.

I use Arch on my laptop because it has such low specs that Arch (Openbox) makes it run like a champ. I always recommend Ubuntu to others though, and it is the distro I began with.

proggy
May 31st, 2010, 05:44 AM
i`ve pretty well tried every Linux there is but have stuck with Ubuntu for i think since 2004, so yes

PhilGil
May 31st, 2010, 05:48 AM
Ubuntu on 2 out of 3 Computers...

Netbook: Ubuntu Netbook Edition
Office PC: Ubuntu 10.04
Home PC: Debian Squeeze

Gnome desktops on all 3.

Don't have any dual-boot systems, although I run Windows in VirtualBox.

Stancel
May 31st, 2010, 06:00 AM
I use Ubuntu. I don't like GNOME though (even though I use it...). I've never got over how unnecessary it is to have two default panels. And the one with all the important stuff is at the top. Lucid had the default window buttons at the left side of the window. seriously, who comes up with this stuff?:popcorn:

ctrlmd
May 31st, 2010, 06:06 AM
dual boot 7 \ 10.04

cariboo
May 31st, 2010, 06:10 AM
I dual boot lucid/maverick on 2 systems, lucid on my netbook, karmic on my server and media center pc, and debian stable on an Apple G4 that I use for playing mp3s. I also have 1 laptop and 2 desktops that boot XP.

V for Vincent
May 31st, 2010, 06:14 AM
Ubuntu here, too. I think the arch/opensuse crowd is just a bit more vocal about their distro. Seems a bit redundant to always state you use ubuntu on these forums.

Little Bones
May 31st, 2010, 06:20 AM
Ubuntu 10.04!

Spike-X
May 31st, 2010, 06:32 AM
Does Mint count?

mmix
May 31st, 2010, 06:35 AM
ubuntu 10.04.

1 computer and 4 HDDs

KiraLexi
May 31st, 2010, 06:37 AM
HP-UX on the box in the office, NT on the laptop, Ubuntu on the desktop. I also dual-boot Arch on the laptop and desktop, but I use it more for tinkering than for actually getting things done.

c00lwaterz
May 31st, 2010, 06:40 AM
currently using windows vista and ubuntu 10.04 (I have some issues in ubuntu and my laptop).

The issue still remain (high temperature) and I have some work around then it will not go high temperature but sometimes the fan doesn't work so I will restart then sometimes it work. In this case, I use windows. If I don't have heat issues, then I will full blast on ubuntu.

peakpc
May 31st, 2010, 06:42 AM
Ubuntu for about 4 years, I do use windows only when I have too.

Irihapeti
May 31st, 2010, 08:13 AM
One laptop, one netbook, one desktop, Ubuntu 10.04 on all of them. Two run Gnome, the remaining one is a kind of hodge-podge of Openbox plus whatever takes my fancy, built up from a command-line install.

BoneKracker
May 31st, 2010, 08:34 AM
Umm Hey! The other OS is the desktop, not the laptop, and it runs OS X only Hello! :guitar: Oh, and BoneKracker (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=64655) what do you run? :P

I believe I already said what I run. Maybe you missed that.

I run gentoo on three: (desktop, server, routing firewall), and openbsd on a fourth (NIDS).
My deskttop environment? dwm, urxvtd/c, and a bunch of scripts

slooksterpsv
May 31st, 2010, 08:41 AM
Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit, 32-bit is gone, it doesn't exist in my world

gemmakaru
May 31st, 2010, 08:44 AM
Ubuntu user here.

murderslastcrow
May 31st, 2010, 09:06 AM
I tend to use Ubuntu, and if I want only a few packages I use the minimal installation and build from there, rather than getting a spinoff. It's very versatile, so I haven't found much reason to use anything else fulltime, only to experiment and keep a few LiveCDs handy.

iponeverything
May 31st, 2010, 09:11 AM

Arch uses are the Freemasons of the Linux world and definitely up to something. I suspect that they are organizing a rebellion ;)

Jakiejake
May 31st, 2010, 09:20 AM
I'm All Ubuntu :)
I think that Ubuntu has the best chance in the future and as what you said
"The Other Fourms Aren't Friendly"
I know that one day you will switch to Ubuntu

Jakiejake
May 31st, 2010, 09:20 AM
arch uses are the freemasons of the linux world and definitely up to something. I suspect that they are organizing a rebellion ;)

lol!

nikhilbhardwaj
May 31st, 2010, 09:22 AM
i'm an archer and i use kde too

fatality_uk
May 31st, 2010, 09:38 AM
I am currently an Ubuntu user, have been solely for the last four years however, I am planning on ditching Linux for Windows 7 after today. I will more than likely come back to Linux in a couple of years as to be honest, the daily niggles have got to me now and I just want to use my PC without faffing about.

lisati
May 31st, 2010, 09:42 AM
Not 100% here, but I do use Ubuntu:

1) Desktop, 9.04 server (web page + email), on pretty much 24/7. Has an XP partition that's seldom used these days.
2) Ancient backup desktop, 6.06, used occasionally when I'm fixing something I've broken on the other desktop.
3) Laptop Dual boot 10.04 & Vista. Ubuntu used for everyday stuff (forums, surfing, email etc), Vista used for video editing.

standingwave
May 31st, 2010, 10:03 AM
Ubuntu since 8.10 but I'm currently carrying Mint 9 on my thumb drive. In a pinch I can demo it on someone's system with all the media stuff (flash, codecs) already enabled. Plus, it looks nicer IMO.

Phrea
May 31st, 2010, 01:12 PM
3 computers, 3 Ubuntu installs, no other OS'ses.

Well, I've got lots of other computers actually, but they are all very very old, so they run BASIC, DOS, etc. :D

XubuRoxMySox
May 31st, 2010, 01:15 PM
Xubuntu on my main computer, Crunchbang Statler on an old laptop, Debian Squeeze on a test machine. It's funny that when I got my Debian Squeeze all customized just the way I like it, what I ended up with is little different from Xubuntu! Except that Xubuntu works "out of the box" and Debian took hours of googling and stuff to get it there. So Xubuntu has become my main "default" distro.

Windows-free and celebrating my first year as a Linux user,
Robin

RiceMonster
May 31st, 2010, 01:36 PM
I used 10.04 for a few weeks, which was the first time I've used it since 8.04. Now I'm back on Fedora since 13 is out. I also use Windows 7 and FeeBSD at the moment.

Shining Arcanine
May 31st, 2010, 02:14 PM
I use Gentoo Linux (with KDE 4.4.3) on my laptop. On my mother's laptop, she runs Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Whatever-It-Is-Called because I never have time to do a proper Gentoo Linux installation on it. That is because there is a major scheduling problem associated with the fact that she does not want my father to know that she has one, which means I cannot let it compile overnight lest he see it. Why she does not want him to know this is beyond me. I might try putting Linux Mint 9 on it when the KDE version debuts. It should be an improvement over Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Whatever-It-Is-Called.

By the way, I really hate how Canonical decides to call its different desktop environments different distribution names. It is the same underlying operating system and they are the only Linux distributor that does that. The practice is absurd. :/

RiceMonster
May 31st, 2010, 02:19 PM
I use Gentoo Linux (with KDE 4.4.3) on my laptop. On my mother's laptop, she runs Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Whatever-It-Is-Called because I never have time to do a proper Gentoo Linux installation on it. That is because there is a major scheduling problem associated with the fact that she does not want my father to know that she has one, which means I cannot let it compile overnight lest he see it. Why she does not want him to know this is beyond me. I might try putting Linux Mint 9 on it when the KDE version debuts. It should be an improvement over Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Whatever-It-Is-Called.

By the way, I really hate how Canonical decides to call its different desktop environments different distribution names. It is the same underlying operating system and they are the only Linux distributor that does that. The practice is absurd. :/

You mean you're letting your mom run an unoptomized binary distribution? How could you!?

handy
May 31st, 2010, 02:19 PM
Dual boot OS X, & Arch64/Openbox/xfce4-panel on the iMac. (Seldom use OS X, as I don't like it much.)

Drive drawers in No.2. box, with either Arch64/Openbox/xfce4-panel or Haiku.

A ReadyNAS Duo, that runs a cut-down version of Debian.

2 old boxes set up identically with the IPCop firewall/router. I have the 2nd box in case the one I'm using has a meltdown.

I haven't used Ubuntu consistently since Dapper. Edgy & Feisty were trouble on my hardware.

kracekumar
May 31st, 2010, 02:26 PM
i am using ubuntu since last july 9.04 and presently i use 9.10 with ubuntu studio and 10.04. . . .stil i use windows for windows programming(coll work) and for FLASH work. . .else complete ubuntu freak. . . . . .

Frogs Hair
May 31st, 2010, 03:14 PM
I started with 9.10 and now use 10.04 . Because many people write about other distros here I am motivated to learn about them , which without the forum I may not have done .

cusinndzl
May 31st, 2010, 03:17 PM
I use Ubuntu 10.04 on all my machines.

Perfect Storm
May 31st, 2010, 03:32 PM
i'm an archer and i use kde too

Same here. Before that I used Ubuntu with dual boot to X, Y,Z distro to play around with. But now it's full Arch with KDE minimal.

Hosmion
May 31st, 2010, 03:41 PM
I use Ubuntu because I am in the process of making an application for the Droid, and Ubuntu makes it really easy to code.

forrestcupp
May 31st, 2010, 03:44 PM
Whenever I use Linux, it's always Ubuntu. I've messed with most releases since Hoary, but now I primarily use Win7.

andras artois
May 31st, 2010, 04:39 PM
Currently on windows 7. Started to try ubuntu with win 7 in a virtual machine but it's being a pain at the moment. Just started messing with arch linux in a VM as well.

cloyd
May 31st, 2010, 04:52 PM
I'm Ubuntu 99.99999999% of the time. I have a laptop with 9.04, and a netbook with UNR 9.10. On the netbook, I have removed the fisherprice interface, and have it complete with compiz, docky, and conky. I use the netbook most of the time. The only reason I'm keeping vista on one machine is to use Finale for sheet music. I am wondering about wine for this.

I'm still using 9.10. My netbook runs warm on 9.10 (but no warmer than it did on Vista). It runs about five degrees C warmer on 10.4. It tends to start up at about 55 (on 10.4), and easily runs up to 66 (w/o playing videos) When the heating issue is cleared up, I'll probably switch.

dragos240
May 31st, 2010, 04:57 PM
Debian user here. Ubuntu is based off of debian. IMHO ubuntu has gotten too bulky for my taste, and I long for a default orange ubuntu.

Shining Arcanine
May 31st, 2010, 04:59 PM
You mean you're letting your mom run an unoptomized binary distribution? How could you!?

My mother requires that I conceal the existence of her laptop. I do not have time to figure out how to precompile packages for her system externally, so I have little choice. Usually my answer to anything involving compilation is to let the system run overnight, but then it would likely be discovered by my father.

Why my mother does not want my father to know that she has a computer is a mystery to me, especially when my systems are always open to her. The only reason she has her own system is because she tells me that she is afraid that she will damage one of mine if she uses it. All she wants to do is stuff that requires a web browser, which is a task that often I need to be physically present at the system to aid her in doing, because she is not technical enough to do it herself. Her system is more of a decoration than a system actually used to do things. :/

mosshorn
May 31st, 2010, 05:13 PM
Use Ubuntu on my desktop, recently Crunchbang on my laptop, and win7 on both because the world is a cruel, heartless place.

nothingspecial
May 31st, 2010, 07:36 PM
7 machines.

Family Desktop - Ubuntu 10.04

Server - Ubuntu server 8.04 (till I can be bothered changing it)

My netbook - Xubuntu 10.04, Zenwalk 6.2

Wifes netbook - Ubuntu 10.04

My laptop - Ubuntu 10.04

Netbook with broken keyboard - ubuntu minimal (probably 9.04)

Netbook with broken screen - Ubuntu 9.10

I have used Arch, Debian and Slackware and tried a few others.

I also have Puppy on a usb stick.

Never used Mac.

I usually try windows for a little while if I ever get a new computer but end up nuking it after a day or two because I don`t know what I`m doing (My first ever OS was Ubuntu 7.04).

carl_pr
May 31st, 2010, 07:44 PM
I am using ubuntu 10.04 on my netbook and desktop, i completely remove windows from my desktop yesterday. If for any reason i need to use windows, ill use my brothers laptop with 7.

I was gonna try fedora 13 on my desktop but since i dont have any blank cds to burn and i already have ubuntu CDs well i installed ubuntu. I used fedora before, i think was fedora 6 around that.

cpmman
May 31st, 2010, 08:02 PM
Lucid on my machines but I carry a Puppy usb to fix friend's problems with Windows.

Viva
May 31st, 2010, 08:06 PM
It is safe to assume that the majority use ubuntu. Arch/Mac/Windows 7 users make the most noise though.

suprman2020
May 31st, 2010, 08:06 PM
Ubuntu user since 6.10.

redbook4574
May 31st, 2010, 08:07 PM
I use Ubuntu. I don't like GNOME though (even though I use it...). I've never got over how unnecessary it is to have two default panels. And the one with all the important stuff is at the top. Lucid had the default window buttons at the left side of the window. seriously, who comes up with this stuff?:popcorn:

you don't need two default panels, just customise abit. look a mint for an example.

nothingspecial
May 31st, 2010, 08:15 PM
you don't need two default panels, just customise abit. look a mint for an example.

I don`t have any panels ;)

m4tic
May 31st, 2010, 08:26 PM
I actually don't use Ubuntu anymore. I'm a born again Mandrivan, can i get a yeEAH!

The Real Dave
May 31st, 2010, 09:14 PM
Ubuntu user here, ranging from 9.10 on a desktop and server, to 10.04 on a server and another desktop. I use the standard Gnome on the 9.10 desk, and have an Openbox setup on the 10.04 desk.

I've tried Kubuntu, but I just don't have the graphics power for that KDE setup, though, older KDEs are funnily light :)

My Lucid desktop also currently has Archbang 2.00 and Crunchbang Statler. I'm soon going to replace Archbang with LUbuntu, and maybe a Debian or Arch base install :)

Lightstar
June 1st, 2010, 02:54 AM
Are you going through all the posts to count the ubuntu users?
You should try using a poll.

I'm on ubuntu, only on windows about 2 hours a week.

I keep a puppy .iso handy also.

Twitch6000
June 1st, 2010, 03:12 AM
I use opensuse opensolaris and windows xp. I am thinking about ditching opensuse and give more space to opensolaris.

louis--taylor
June 1st, 2010, 03:16 AM
I have been using ubuntu exclusively since 8.4

Dark Aspect
June 1st, 2010, 03:48 AM

I am not an Arch user; I am a Puppy-Ubuntu-Haiku-DSL-WindowsXP-Arch user :)

That's a mouthful, I think I missed a few.......

PC_load_letter
June 1st, 2010, 03:52 AM
I use Ubuntu and Xubuntu exclusively. Tried Fedora & OpenSuse but neither gave me a reason to compel me to use them. Used Mint & Crunchbang for a while, waiting eagerly for #! 10, if I like it enough, it may replace Xubuntu on my Thinkpad 43.

Jesus_Valdez
June 1st, 2010, 03:53 AM
I use Ubuntu 10.04 and from time to time Windows Siete.

On the other hand, How do you know if someone uses Arch Linux?

They'll tell You.

BoneKracker
June 1st, 2010, 03:59 AM
Dual boot OS X, & Arch64/Openbox/xfce4-panel on the iMac. (Seldom use OS X, as I don't like it much.)

Drive drawers in No.2. box, with either Arch64/Openbox/xfce4-panel or Haiku.

A ReadyNAS Duo, that runs a cut-down version of Debian.

2 old boxes set up identically with the IPCop firewall/router. I have the 2nd box in case the one I'm using has a meltdown.

I haven't used Ubuntu consistently since Dapper. Edgy & Feisty were trouble on my hardware.

How is Haiku. I went to try it a week or two ago after their release, but I gave up after getting a corrupted download and haven't got back to it.

You should put your standby IPCop box to work as a NIDS with snort-inline or something.

BoneKracker
June 1st, 2010, 04:02 AM
7 machines.
Family Desktop - Ubuntu 10.04
Server - Ubuntu server 8.04 (till I can be bothered changing it)
My netbook - Xubuntu 10.04, Zenwalk 6.2
Wifes netbook - Ubuntu 10.04
My laptop - Ubuntu 10.04
Netbook with broken keyboard - ubuntu minimal (probably 9.04)
Netbook with broken screen - Ubuntu 9.10

And a very warm house. :P

Dark Aspect
June 1st, 2010, 04:08 AM
How is Haiku. I went to try it a week or two ago after their release, but I gave up after getting a corrupted download and haven't got back to it.

Haiku is in its alpha stages and has limited compatibility, for example there is no flash or (wine)dows support at all. However, Haiku is very stable given its alpha status and extermely fast. I recommend it for old(er) computers and old(er) netbooks in which the end user will do nothing more than browse the web.

MCVenom
June 1st, 2010, 04:09 AM
I actually don't use Ubuntu anymore. I'm a born again Mandrivan, can i get a yeEAH!
No, you cannot. :P

swoll1980
June 1st, 2010, 04:12 AM
I don't think there are many Arch users here, as far as a ratio goes. The Arch users that do come here, seem to find a way to mention Arch in every single post they make. I think the fact that they mention Arch so often, makes it seem like there is way more Arch users on this forum than there actually is.

Dark Aspect
June 1st, 2010, 04:13 AM
I don't think there are many Arch users here, as far as a ratio goes. The Arch users that do come here, seem to find a way to mention Arch in every single post they make. I think the fact that they mention Arch so often, makes it seem like there is way more Arch users on this forum than there actually is.

Was that directed at me lol :)

lostinxlation
June 1st, 2010, 04:18 AM
I guess this question should have been asked for those who are NOT using Ubuntu. That can save time and pages.

smellyman
June 1st, 2010, 04:20 AM
I use Ubuntu on the desktop exclusively.

My old laptop has:

Arch
Cruncbang
Slitaz
Stardust Puppy
Lucid Puppy
Macpup

It constantly changes......other than the puppies

rajcan
June 1st, 2010, 04:54 AM
I've got Backtrack, FreeBSD, OpenSUSE, and Ubuntu all installed as virtual machines. FreeBSD is my commandline system. I can't get X configured to work right in a vm environment. Other than that I've got kde installed on the rest. I just like how it works well when I switch my virtual machines to seamless mode.

andrew.46
June 1st, 2010, 08:28 AM
Closet slackware user here ....

Andrew

BoneKracker
June 1st, 2010, 08:38 AM
Closet slackware user here ....
Does slackware still have no dependency management in its package manager? How do you handle that, with an add-on of some kind?

andrew.46
June 1st, 2010, 09:14 AM
Hi Bone,

Does slackware still have no dependency management in its package manager? How do you handle that, with an add-on of some kind?

The best way, and certainly the method I use, is to find out what the dependencies are and install them by hand. It is actually quite easy to do...

Andrew