PDA

View Full Version : Keeping notes on knowledge

denarced
May 30th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Do you guys keep notes?
Let's consider the following example:

You see an interesting article in a pdf file that concerns C-programming and testing, for example. You're not working on that particular field right now but you think it'll be a useful thing to know when and if the time comes.
My question is certainly not limited to this type of situation but to keeping notes on your knowledge and we're not going to remember everything for sure.
Do you keep a library of ideas you're come across?
Do you have a system for this?
Keywords, categories, what do you use?
This really is an open ended question so please comment even if it's somewhat off the topic.

xsinsx
May 30th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Bookmarks, Download and put them on the desktop if there a pdf. a big one for me is if im at school i will print the article. i also have an on going email to myself where i add interesting things on the web so i have a giant list in an email i just never delete it.

Can+~
May 30th, 2010, 08:41 PM
A text file in dropbox, pretty convenient.

ju2wheels
May 31st, 2010, 05:16 AM
You can use mind maps.

There are at least 5 mind mapping applications in the Ubuntu repos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mind_mapping_software

Queue29
May 31st, 2010, 05:36 AM
I keep spirals of my own hand-written notes on my programming projects, as well as other ideas that pop into my head. Archaic, I know, but I like having a life away from the computer.

mharrison
May 31st, 2010, 05:41 AM
While I am not a programmer, I do keep notes on things I learn. Seeing as how I have only been using Linux (I jump back and forth between Debian and Ubuntu) I am still learning a lot. I like to keep a OpenOffice.org document going of information that I have gathered for future reference.

To give an example, when I first tried out Debian Lenny I found I had to manually install the NVidia driver. I found a nice website that gave me step by steps so I posted the link, copied and pasted the basic steps and started archiving any useful stuff I find in this manner. The last I checked the document was somewhere around 5 megs. I am going to have to organize it one day, but that is another battle.

mo.reina
May 31st, 2010, 05:42 AM
save it, tag it with keywords for quick recall.

actually will be starting a project that does just this, as soon as i'm done reading up on wxPython, which i'll use for the gui.

denarced
May 31st, 2010, 10:58 AM
save it, tag it with keywords for quick recall.

actually will be starting a project that does just this, as soon as i'm done reading up on wxPython, which i'll use for the gui.

This actually crossed my mind. You're talking about some kind of file browsing by tags? Maybe even web links stored by tags or something more than files ?

denarced
May 31st, 2010, 11:00 AM
I keep spirals of my own hand-written notes on my programming projects, as well as other ideas that pop into my head. Archaic, I know, but I like having a life away from the computer.

I do the same thing, I sort of like the freedom you get when using a pen. It's just that when the amount of information grows, I haven't figured out a system to organize.
I already have a pile of about 30 pages(A4) filled with random notes :D

denarced
May 31st, 2010, 11:05 AM
While I am not a programmer, I do keep notes on things I learn. Seeing as how I have only been using Linux (I jump back and forth between Debian and Ubuntu) I am still learning a lot. I like to keep a OpenOffice.org document going of information that I have gathered for future reference.

To give an example, when I first tried out Debian Lenny I found I had to manually install the NVidia driver. I found a nice website that gave me step by steps so I posted the link, copied and pasted the basic steps and started archiving any useful stuff I find in this manner. The last I checked the document was somewhere around 5 megs. I am going to have to organize it one day, but that is another battle.

Another battle indeed. I'm trying to think ahead a little so I can avoid the problems later (usually I can't get it done thou). This "one text file" solution partially solves the categories problem I'm having:

Hints don't fit into neat little categories. I suppose this is why relational databases were invented :)
I thought tracker with its tag-feature would've been a solution but the software still has some nasty bugs(100% CPU usage all the time).

hanniph
May 31st, 2010, 04:50 PM
I keep my notes in personal wiki (mediawiki for now). Usually, I save link to the original source and add my own thoughts on the subject. The key point is to keep things DRY (don't repeat yourself), only add your own observations, do's and dont's.

P.S. I created a CRON job to backup my wiki database and automatically sync it with dropbox so that I wouldn't loose them