PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ntfs config won't run

Danno2468
May 30th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I am trying to run ntfs config to auto mount my hard drives, but it won't run I keep getting an OSError. Here is the teriminal output.

h:~$ sudo ntfs-config
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/ntfs-config", line 102, in <module>
main(args, opts)
File "/usr/bin/ntfs-config", line 75, in main
app = NtfsConfig()
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/NtfsConfig/NtfsConfig.py", line 56, in __init__
os.mkdir(HAL_CONFIG_DIR)
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/etc/hal/fdi/policy'

Any help or suggest would be much appreciated:)

Sef
May 30th, 2010, 10:02 PM
How did you download it?

Danno2468
May 30th, 2010, 10:32 PM
I used

sudo apt-get install ntfs-config

But then I got that error. So I went into the software center and uninstalled it and then re-installed it and it still doesn't work.

Danno2468
May 30th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I think what I need to do is creat that /etc/hal/fdi/policy' file. I don't have that dir, and then I would need to find what ever is supposed to be in there.

efflandt
May 31st, 2010, 01:31 AM
10.04 does not use hal. Although, during updates I saw something added related to hal. All that /etc/hal/fdi/policy contains is a preferences.fdi file with some commented out examples.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<!--
Some examples how to use hal fdi files for system preferences
You can either uncomment the examples here or put them in a seperate .fdi
file.
-->
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<!--
The following shows how to hint gnome-volume-manager and other programs
that honor the storage.automount_enabled_hint to not mount non-removable
media.
-->
<!--
<device>
<match key="storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
<match key="storage.removable" bool="false">
<merge key="storage.automount_enabled_hint" type="bool">false</merge>
</match>
</match>
</device>
-->
</deviceinfo>I did not have to do anything special in 9.10 or 10.04 to mount internal ntfs partitions using Places, or automount USB ntfs partitions. Just make sure that your user has permission to "Access external storage devices automatically", and maybe "Mount user-space filesystems (FUSE)".

Danno2468
May 31st, 2010, 02:39 AM
Okay... So how do I make it so my hard-drives are mounted, after I log on? What do I need to run?

drs305
May 31st, 2010, 02:56 AM
You can manually add the entry to your /etc/fstab file.

Note the UUIDs of the partitions you want mounted:

sudo blkid

Create the mount point(s):

sudo mkdir /media/yourmountpoint1 /media/yourmountpoint2
Mount points in /media will show in Places. Mountpoints in /mnt will not.

Backup /etc/fstab and open as root for editing. The following entry mimics what ntfs-config would have created. Change the text in bold to match your system. I've added "uid=1000" to make you the owner of the mountpoint:

sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bak
gksu gedit /etc/fstab

UUID=7A982427132BCF9C /media/yourmountpoint1 ntfs-3g defaults,uid=1000,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0

Save the file, then run

sudo mount -a
If things were done properly you will get no messages and the partitions will be mounted.

Danno2468
May 31st, 2010, 06:02 AM
That worked Splendid! Accomplished exactly what I was trying to do:) You laid it out very clearly what I need to Awesome. Thank you so much:KS

Danno2468
May 31st, 2010, 06:07 AM
ya

Sciesch
November 9th, 2010, 09:04 PM
That worked Splendid! Accomplished exactly what I was trying to do:) You laid it out very clearly what I need to Awesome. Thank you so much:KS

Worked fine for me, too.

any Thanks! :)

Elcid247
December 4th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I think what I need to do is creat that /etc/hal/fdi/policy' file. I don't have that dir, and then I would need to find what ever is supposed to be in there.

i created an empty file in that path and it just worked fine for me :D

theuean
February 13th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Didn't work for me, I screwed up my fstab by mounting it incorrectly. If you happen to do that, you'll be unable to restore your fstab.bak due to being in read-only mode. Get to read-write mode with the following:

mount -n -o remount,rw /

You'll be in, then sudo mcopy /etc/fstab.bak fstab and you're good to go.

As for getting ntfs-config working (10.10 here) I also received the same error message. Since I didn't want to screw up my fstab again, just did this:

Open terminal
cd /etc
sudo mkdir hal
cd hal
sudo mkdir fdi
cd fdi
sudo gedit policy
...save and exit, close terminal, and launch ntfs-config and it'll work.

dushy4
March 6th, 2011, 10:04 AM
i created an empty file in that path and it just worked fine for me :D

thanks a lot,,,,
anyone having the same problem,,create empty directry as written and create an empty file as policy,,,worked for me...

m.nour
May 18th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Hi,
instead of creating an empty file, install "hal" from synaptic or "sudo apt-get install hal" from terminal to solve the issue.

TiloBunt
December 9th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Hi,
instead of creating an empty file, install "hal" from synaptic or "sudo apt-get install hal" from terminal to solve the issue.

same issue. somebody opened a bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ntfs-config/+bug/889070

the hal install workaround did the trick for me.

thx.

xcesarfrancox
December 12th, 2011, 11:05 PM
The bug report states that you just need to create an empty dir with this command:

sudo mkdir -p /etc/hal/fdi/policy

LambertH
January 2nd, 2012, 05:42 PM
I can confirm that. Simply creating the empty folder /etc/hal/fdi/policy as described gets ntfs-config running.

Happy New year :P