PDA

View Full Version : my first website

sxmaxchine
May 30th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I have made my first website available on the internet.

I would like to ask what you think of the page and maybe some suggestions on how i can improve on it. But please remember i only know html and javascript.

The goal of this site was to be a nice home page for people to use. I want to try to keep it clean and simple.

heres a link to the page. (http://sxmaxchine.hostwebs.com/)

cbbnewbie
May 30th, 2010, 03:40 PM
seen it its nice for me im a newbie, would be nicer if it has animations, keep up the good work.

sxmaxchine
May 30th, 2010, 03:42 PM
by animations do you mean like the mac taskbar because i was debating that with myslef

cbbnewbie
May 30th, 2010, 03:49 PM
the moment I saw those icons I imagined it as a snapshot of the cairo dock or awn.. I myself don't know how to do that but if you can do that that would be nice.

sxmaxchine
May 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Il give it a try thanks for the response

Jeroensum
May 30th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Looks really nice. 2 improvements I could think of:
1.) Don't let the 'leave feedback' hover over the icon(s)
2.) On a personal-taste-note, the background is very 'busy' which kind of battles the whole 'clean look' of the rest of the page.

If you want to animate the icons you could take a look here:
http://safalra.com/web-design/javascript/mac-style-dock/

Have phun coding!

Vostrocity
May 30th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Wow, that is amazingly good for a first website. And it's actually completely usable unlike some people's websites about pet rocks and action figures. I don't know how you got a Google search box in there but that's really nice. I'm also impressed that you managed to get it hosted on Webs.com. I didn't think they would allow custom HTML. To be frank though, it won't be too useful for the mass public since those shortcuts down there are static (for example most people don't need to be visiting the Opera site everyday). A similar concept to yours is myfav.es (http://myfav.es/).

sxmaxchine
May 30th, 2010, 04:21 PM
thanks for the link and response

sxmaxchine
May 30th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the good response

kaldor
May 30th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Wow, you did nearly the exact same thing as I did for my mother years ago who kept complaining about going through her bookmarks to find everything.

The only thing different is that you made that dock effect; I like it.

I'd add more though. Maybe even host the site yourself.. that freewebs banner crap annoys me :(

sxmaxchine
May 30th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I'd add more though. Maybe even host the site yourself.. that freewebs banner crap annoys me :(

I was thinking of paying to get it removed however i wanted to see how well it works and i also want to make it better first.

kaldor
May 30th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Fair enough, keep it up :)

Edit: Oh, I found a problem. The "Leave Feedback" link is overlapping the Facebook button. Move it down a little.

sxmaxchine
May 30th, 2010, 04:45 PM
my leave feedback is in the bottom left corner of the screen, What web browser are you using because i am testing it using opera.

m4tic
May 30th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I have made my first website available on the internet.

I would like to ask what you think of the page and maybe some suggestions on how i can improve on it. But please remember i only know html and javascript.

The goal of this site was to be a nice home page for people to use. I want to try to keep it clean and simple.

heres a link to the page. (http://sxmaxchine.hostwebs.com/)

It's worse on opera mini. Most mobile browsing ''world wide'' is done with opera mini. I would like if you optimised your site to work with it

Penguin Guy
May 30th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Nice work, you should turn it into a firefox/chrome extension. If you could add drag-and drop functionality along with cookies to save the position of the items then it would be perfect! By the way, there are a few free javascript docks available on the internet (http://www.google.com/search?q=javascript+dock).

The Real Dave
May 30th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I like it :) It's neat and simple :) Just move the "Leave Feedback" over into the corner.

Like has been mentioned, it would be nice if the lower section was animated, just a simple flash bar would do. Perhaps someone here can help you with that (my flash skills are terrible). Personally, I would have the "Google" image above the search bar, but that's just me.

Other than that, nice, neat page. Would be very useful for an Internet kiosk type thing :)

Vostrocity
May 30th, 2010, 05:13 PM
my leave feedback is in the bottom left corner of the screen, What web browser are you using because i am testing it using opera.

Weird, I had the same problem as the other people. But not it's in the correct bottom left position.

sxmaxchine
May 30th, 2010, 05:15 PM
thanks for the replies.

I have changed the leave feedback thing and added a few animations to the dock. I plan on making the dock animations better when i have more free time.

sxmaxchine
May 30th, 2010, 05:21 PM
If you could add drag-and drop functionality along with cookies to save the position of the items then it would be perfect!

That sounds like it will be very hard but i will give it a go as it will help me learn.

paydaydaddy
May 30th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I did a similar thing for personal use. I use it as my homepage and have for at least 10yrs. Probably longer than that even because if I remember correctly I was using win98 when I made it. Of course I have updated the links over the years. My actual skills in javascript are pretty much nil so I used free script found on the internet and adapted it to my needs. Part of the functionality of the page is now pretty much negated by the advent of tabbed browsing, but my wife and I like it quite well as our homepage. Often when I am using a different computer (maybe a friend's) I will start by typing in the URL for my home page just for convenience. I like the overall appearance of your page. Certainly more visually appealing to more people than my page, but the feature on my page that I really like is the option to open links in a new window. Here is a link to my home page if your curious.
http://homepages.tscnet.com/payday/linkspg.html

MichealH
May 30th, 2010, 07:31 PM
That's weird, Today I was revamping lots of pages on my site!

www.michealh.co.cc
blog.michealh.co.cc

Oh and Sames I don't know much HTML, It was the inspiration which got me through.

kamaboko
May 30th, 2010, 08:31 PM
The icons work wonders for my farsighted vision. lol.

m4tic
May 30th, 2010, 08:42 PM
why are the colours weird

kamaboko
May 30th, 2010, 09:09 PM
colors come out fine on my laptop.

Vostrocity
May 30th, 2010, 11:40 PM
why are the colours weird

Compiz invert colors? Lol?

sxmaxchine
May 31st, 2010, 05:05 AM
I dont know what is causing your problem as the colours are fine for me

sxmaxchine
May 31st, 2010, 05:06 AM
I did a similar thing for personal use. I use it as my homepage and have for at least 10yrs. Probably longer than that even because if I remember correctly I was using win98 when I made it. Of course I have updated the links over the years. My actual skills in javascript are pretty much nil so I used free script found on the internet and adapted it to my needs. Part of the functionality of the page is now pretty much negated by the advent of tabbed browsing, but my wife and I like it quite well as our homepage. Often when I am using a different computer (maybe a friend's) I will start by typing in the URL for my home page just for convenience. I like the overall appearance of your page. Certainly more visually appealing to more people than my page, but the feature on my page that I really like is the option to open links in a new window. Here is a link to my home page if your curious.
http://homepages.tscnet.com/payday/linkspg.html

Do you mind if i use your code to allow the option to open in a new window. Thanks for the reply

paydaydaddy
May 31st, 2010, 09:32 AM
I have no problem with you using the script. Like I said, the javascript was free stuff copied from the web. The source is listed and should be included just to give credit where credit is due.

nikhilbhardwaj
May 31st, 2010, 09:37 AM
really good for a first website
the design is very very good

sxmaxchine
May 31st, 2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the response.

I am going to add the code the open in a new window.

Also i just finished adding toolbars to the left and right side of the page, i am going to try and allow the user to drag and drop those icons in the dock.

sxmaxchine
May 31st, 2010, 02:09 PM
I have been having a lot of problems with firefox, if you experience any problems with firefox or any browser can you please tell me.

I have it working correctly in opera 10.53

Zerocool Djx
May 31st, 2010, 07:28 PM
It's nice for a first site,..... now make it work... ;)

m4tic
May 31st, 2010, 08:11 PM
Compiz invert colors? Lol?

No, i don't have desktop effects running. Firefox has always been this way even in ubuntu, i'm on mandriva and still same thing. I don't share home partitions. I think its the image's file type. Look closer, ubuntu, twitter and skype logos are all ok

sxmaxchine
June 2nd, 2010, 12:02 PM
MY website has been fixed and should now work on all browsers (havent tested IE yet).

Please tell me what you think and/or if you get any errors, thankyou.

Penguin Guy
July 7th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I see you've added some JavaScript to make dock-like panels, nice work but the bottom one seems a bit weird. Try making all the icons on the bottom panel the same size and 'lock' it to the bottom of the screen rather than floating it because it jumps up when you roll over the Facebook icon.

Boondoklife
July 7th, 2010, 06:57 PM
You may want to consider putting the images inside of a div to get rid of it being so jumpy. You could make a css rollover that would do what you are doing with the images and divs, while the divs would make sure they keep in place.

sxmaxchine
July 9th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I sort of fixed up the dock at the bottom and i also changed some images.
http://sxmaxchine.hostwebs.com/