PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't get rid of Flash 9!

RembrandtQEinstein
May 30th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Even after I install Flash 10, when I go into Firefox (3.6.3 on Ubuntu 10.04), Firefox runs Flash 9. Videos, such as youtube, work but have no sound. In Firefox, tools->add ons->plugins, it says Shockwave Flash 9.

I have removed and reinstalled Flash several times. I have used the Linux installer and the Adobe installer. I have manually copied the libflashplayer.so file. But still it is Flash 9.

I can get it to work by disabling Flash from within Firefox (tools->add ons->plugins) exiting Firefox, reinstalling Flash using the Linux installer (or manually copying libflashplayer.so) then restarting Firefox, then reenabling the Flash 9 plugin (ie tools->add ons->plugins). It actually is then, and only then, using Flash 10. Sounds works too! But when I restart Firefox, it is using Flash 9 again.

How do I get rid of Flash 9 permanently?

Thanks

RembrandtQEinstein
May 30th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I have wrestled with sound and flash and flash version for hours and hours. Turns out there was a plugin installed in my home directory.

~/.mozilla/plugins

I never saw that because after you install the Flash 10, the path says it is /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so however it runs the plugin from ~/.mozilla/plugins

Frustrating but I finally have Flash 10 and sound at the same time :)

lovinglinux
May 30th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Next time use FLASH-AID (http://flash-aid-extension.blogspot.com) extension for Firefox. It will remove conflicting plugins (including the one that was causing your problem) and install the proper flash version according to your browser architecture.

RembrandtQEinstein
May 31st, 2010, 02:27 AM
I will try that first next time

Thanks!