PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless icon showing red mark and not activated

sanoop1
May 30th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I wanted to get away from windows, because of the helll lot of issues it gave me. I installed ubuntu in my machine, and i am facing lot of issues to activate internet. May be I am fool number one. So need some help from experts.

FIrst my hardware details :-

01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 1508
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at feafc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
Kernel modules: ssb

I have gone thru lot of websites and forums to try to enable the wireless connections. Till now I have installed the ndisgtk_0.8.5-1_i386.deb, ndiswrapper-utils-1.9_1.54-2ubuntu1_i386.deb & ndiswrapper-common_1.54-2ubuntu1_all.deb. Then I was able to install the windows driver for my wireless card. But still the status is showing as disabled for the wireless adaptor. Please help to make it working.

Iowan
May 30th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Ordinarily I'd suspect the interface got defined in /etc/network/interfaces and NM is ignoring it, but there are a couple of other, similar threads... Still, verify that /etc/network/interfaces contains only two lines defining "lo".

sanoop1
May 30th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Ordinarily I'd suspect the interface got defined in /etc/network/interfaces and NM is ignoring it, but there are a couple of other, similar threads... Still, verify that /etc/network/interfaces contains only two lines defining "lo".

These are the only lines in the interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

sm4sh1t
May 30th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I wanted to get away from windows, because of the helll lot of issues it gave me. I installed ubuntu in my machine, and i am facing lot of issues to activate internet. May be I am fool number one. So need some help from experts.

FIrst my hardware details :-

01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 1508
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at feafc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
Kernel modules: ssb

I have gone thru lot of websites and forums to try to enable the wireless connections. Till now I have installed the ndisgtk_0.8.5-1_i386.deb, ndiswrapper-utils-1.9_1.54-2ubuntu1_i386.deb & ndiswrapper-common_1.54-2ubuntu1_all.deb. Then I was able to install the windows driver for my wireless card. But still the status is showing as disabled for the wireless adaptor. Please help to make it working.

try installing wicd from the synaptic manager, it solved it for me :)