PDA

View Full Version : Opening Files in Emacs

andypi
May 30th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I'm just getting used to emacs, and using it for all my programming/LaTeX.

I was wondering if there's an easy way to open a new file in a different buffer, but the same window. Like, from the eshell or something? All the stuff I've read about opening new buffers seems to only work for creating blank buffers, and whenever I try and open a new file from either the command line or the eshell I get a new emacs window, which results in loads of windows, which aren't as easy to switch between as multiple buffers in the same window.

Anyone know what I should be doing?

Andy

PS Sorry this isn't strictly a programming question. Please let me know if you think I should have posted it elsewhere.

Barrucadu
May 30th, 2010, 02:59 PM
C-x C-f
Type path (tab completion works)
Press enter

You now have a new buffer with your file open.

andypi
May 30th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks!

I knew it would be something simple, I'm just not that proficient at finding the shortcuts I want yet.

diesch
May 30th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I guess by "window" you mean what Emacs calls "frame", and by "buffer" what Emacs calls "window" :-)

In your shell set ALTERNATE_EDITOR="" and use
emacsclient -c some_file to open some_file in a new frame,
emacsclient some_file to open it in the current frame and
emacsclient -t some_file to use a text mode emacs.

This starts an Emacs server the first time you use it, and reuses this for every other call. You can kill this server by M-x kill-emacs
from inside Emacs or by emacsclient -e '(kill-emacs)' from the command line.

To switch frames framemove (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/FrameMove) may help (but I prefer to use the window manager for this).

nvteighen
May 30th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Er... isn't opening into a new window Emacs default behaivor? Then you just call the new window by using C-x b or C-x C-b...

andypi
May 30th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Barrucadu's reply gives me the behaviour I was hoping for.

I've got used to switching between buffers using C-x C-<arrow>, but since the file I open is the one that's displayed when I've used C-x C-f, I only actually need to switch when I want to go back to what I was working on before.

I still find the buffer/window/frame nomenclature a bit confusing though!