PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is there any DECENT screen recoding software ?

leedrag0n
May 30th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Hey guys,

This is going to be kind of an unusual question, but I'm hoping someone can find an answer for it.

I have tried using all the different screen recording programs for my Ubuntu 9.10 (I use a Dell Inspiron 1545, 2.4Ghz dual core with 4GB ram) including gtk RecordMyDesktop, Istanbul, and a few more.

On the other hand, I have installed on my home PC (Pentium 4, 3.0Ghz Single-Core, 1GB Ram, running Windows XP) the freeware software CamStudio (from camstudio.org).

So whats the difference ?

Its kinda wierd but the CamStudio on my Windows machine seems to be catching the screen recording WAY WAY FASTER AND SMOOTHER than the Linux alternatives.

It seems as if the Linux software are just SLOW to death, and if I'm going to attempt and capture a full-screen record, its going to be realy slow (I'm talking about it will record just 3 frames per second, while on the Windows machine it will do 30 or even more per second).

My question is : Why are the Linux screen recording software are so slow compared to Windows ones?
Isn't Linux supposed to be a FASTER operating system than Windows ?
Or are those just the programs that contain unoptimized code?
And of course ... is there any REAL screen recording program that actually runs FAST on linux?

Thanks for all the answers !

Miki