PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] how to rip clips from DVDs (not whole DVDs)

VMOS
May 30th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I've got a project which requires me to go through a bunch of dvds and take little clips out of them.
I do not want to have to rip the entire dvd and then transcode it and then take the clip out of the one I've saved on my drive as I have lots and lots of dvds to get though
I've tried loads of things and none of them seem to be able to do this, dvdrip, cinelarra, kedenlive, live, kino and others that I can't remember the names of

can anyone make any recomendations?

ron999
May 30th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Hi
VLC media player has a red button that records whatever's playing.
First go into View > Advanced Controls to show the button.

VMOS
May 30th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Ace, that's the button!
if anyone else stumbles upon this, I also had to install medibuntu repositories to get vlc to play DVDs and the output files are stored in your home directory (there doesn't seem to be an option to change that)

SoFl W
May 30th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Where does it place the piece of video you captured? I know with screen capture you can configure it.

ron999
May 30th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Where does it place the piece of video you captured? I know with screen capture you can configure it.
Home directory!

SoFl W
May 30th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Thank you.
I dislike having that as a default directory, I have so many sub-folders to organize what I want. I *should* have looked there. I looked in the VLC directory but not there.

Thanks.