PDA

View Full Version : How to determine if computer is idle (c++)

Cz-David
May 30th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Hi,
I am building an application which needs to know if the system is idle, as in the user did not move the mouse or touched the keyboard... plus if he is watching video. I have absolutely no idea how to get this information without making cpu heavy periodic checks...

I have tried looking up gnome-screensaver source, found something and did not understand the implementation.

nvteighen
May 30th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Hi,
I am building an application which needs to know if the system is idle, as in the user did not move the mouse or touched the keyboard... plus if he is watching video. I have absolutely no idea how to get this information without making cpu heavy periodic checks...

I have tried looking up gnome-screensaver source, found something and did not understand the implementation.

Well, I'm not sure whether there's something like a 100% idle system when X is running, as it constantly checks for events to be signalled.

Maybe what you need is interfacing to X in order to know when mouse and keyboard are used. For video, I don't have any idea...

What are you trying to write?

Cz-David
May 30th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I am writing a idle time tracker :)

Yes... but there has to be something simpler, I do not want to check every second if the mouse is moving...

SledgeHammer_999
May 30th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I searched a little bit through google and I found that everybody was using the XScreenSaver extension. The simplest approach I found(but not tested) is here->http://coderrr.wordpress.com/2008/04/20/getting-idle-time-in-unix/

(also read the comments, they contain useful info)

lostinxlation
May 30th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Hi,
I am building an application which needs to know if the system is idle, as in the user did not move the mouse or touched the keyboard...
Xlib has a few functions to detect the events.

EDIT: Oops, C++ ? Then I don't know..I was talking about C.

uOpt
June 1st, 2010, 04:27 PM
How do you know the user isn't sitting there watching a movie?

Cz-David
June 1st, 2010, 06:48 PM
How do you know the user isn't sitting there watching a movie?

"top" probably... Anything that is taking over 15% cpu is doing something, then I'll consider the computer not idling...

edit: as I am watching my system, I should give the user choice on the percentage... when my computer is idling, nothing goes over two percent at extreme cases

uOpt
June 1st, 2010, 07:01 PM
"top" probably... Anything that is taking over 15% cpu is doing something, then I'll consider the computer not idling...

edit: as I am watching my system, I should give the user choice on the percentage... when my computer is idling, nothing goes over two percent at extreme cases

I see iconized Mozillas (Firefox and similar dirt) take up 30% CPU time and more all the time.

Also, what do you do if the guy is just running seti-at-home or reencoders the mp3 library for a week?

Cz-David
June 1st, 2010, 07:06 PM
I see iconized Mozillas (Firefox and similar dirt) take up 30% CPU time and more all the time.

Also, what do you do if the guy is just running seti-at-home or reencoders the mp3 library for a week?

That's why there will be percentage setting... anyway my firefox, though with blocked flash, does not take 30% (at 15 tabs about 4%)...

As for seti and encodings, those will not be a problem, because... the computer is not exactly idle while doing those things.

uOpt
June 1st, 2010, 07:14 PM
As for seti and encodings, those will not be a problem, because... the computer is not exactly idle while doing those things.

The way I read the OP his definition of idle is when nobody is actively using the console.

You just changed the definition of idle.

Cz-David
June 1st, 2010, 07:54 PM
The way I read the OP his definition of idle is when nobody is actively using the console.

You just changed the definition of idle.

Yes I did, it is a program development process... New ideas have a distressing way of getting into my head and forcing me to rewrite some already written procedures...

It is going to track active programs, which it does now, but the idle function is a "new idea"... From my point the user will want to track the time of, lets say seti, even when he is not at his computer...

uOpt
June 1st, 2010, 09:24 PM
Yes I did, it is a program development process... New ideas have a distressing way of getting into my head and forcing me to rewrite some already written procedures...

It is going to track active programs, which it does now, but the idle function is a "new idea"... From my point the user will want to track the time of, lets say seti, even when he is not at his computer...

Then why not just use the existing data for CPU time used since boot?