PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to connect pc to tv by s-video

mystica86
May 30th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Hi, I'm a new user of linux, I'd like to connect my pc to tv by using a s-video cable. Can you help me? I have an ati radeon x700 pc express graphic card...
Thank you!!

Paddy Landau
May 30th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I'm not sure exactly what help you need.

Assuming that your computer has the right connection, you need to buy the correct cable and connect it to your TV.

Then set your TV to accept signals from that cable. Some TV's will do this automatically, and others need some kind of setting. Refer to your TV's manual.

If your computer doesn't automatically recognise the TV, there are a couple of things you can try. The easiest is to reboot. Otherwise, go to System > Preferences > Monitors and follow the simple instructions there.

If your computer still doesn't recognise the TV, then post back telling us exactly what happened, and hope that someone with more knowledge than I can help.

mystica86
May 30th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I'm not sure exactly what help you need.

Assuming that your computer has the right connection, you need to buy the correct cable and connect it to your TV.

Then set your TV to accept signals from that cable. Some TV's will do this automatically, and others need some kind of setting. Refer to your TV's manual.

If your computer doesn't automatically recognise the TV, there are a couple of things you can try. The easiest is to reboot. Otherwise, go to System > Preferences > Monitors and follow the simple instructions there.

If your computer still doesn't recognise the TV, then post back telling us exactly what happened, and hope that someone with more knowledge than I can help.

I already have the cable (in windows it worked), I tried to reboot but the tv wasn't recognized, and the same happened when I went to System > Preferences > Monitors...
What can I do?

sturmey
June 6th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I can confirm that this is happening on my computer also.

tv out works in windows, but doesn't work in ubuntu 10.4 apparently the ati drivers do not work in the latest version of ubuntu, and ati isn't updating the driver for the older cards.

does anyone know how to get tvout working with a radeon x700?

realzippy
June 6th, 2010, 02:12 PM
AFAIK there is no chance,since fglrx support for your "old" card is dropped.
Only way would be to run Ubuntu 8.04/8.10 and fglrx.

See also:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1135920