PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a Math book.

alket
May 30th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I have to learn Logarithms, Functions, Derivatives, Integrals etc. But my school books are very old and not very catchy. Can yo recommend me a good book ?

lostinxlation
May 30th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Go to amazon and read the review..

Those subjects haven't been changed for a few centuries, and I personally think it really doesn't matter if the book is old or new. Usually, a school text is sufficient because there are not a whole lot of things you have to master in the subjects. You only need to THINK how to apply the formula.

gnomeuser
May 30th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Generally you'd want to pay attention during class and get yourself a good book of formulas to quick and easy application.

Each of the subjects you mention are very standard math, once you accept that the formulas will always work you just need to plop numbers in correctly. Thus I find it more useful to have a quick reference to the standard formulas when solving problems than to have a book.

As for book recommendations, the worst books are American college grade books, this isn't anything against Americans but the American publishers tend to pay writers by word or by page. Meaning that you get a huge brick with lot of duplication which tends towards confusion.

Anything intended for engineers tends to be good in my mind, pretty straight forward with lots of useful examples showing application, formulas and a rundown of the proofs.

Legendary_Bibo
May 30th, 2010, 11:00 AM
This was my calc book in college. It's very clear and concise. There is however a few topics that it doesn't explain very well, but it's damn near impossible to explain them.

http://www.cramster.com/calculus-multivariable-5th-solutions-16-1398-pid0.aspx