PDA

View Full Version : Longboard Thread

HappinessNow
May 30th, 2010, 08:41 AM
So I was hanging out with a good friend of mine and she is a Longboarder...She let me ride her Longboard (Landyachtz) and I found it quite pleasurable.

I am starting to do research; and while Google is a friend of mine, I wanted to see if any Ubuntu users are also regular Longboard users?

Any suggestions on brands or type of Longboard to buy?

I look forward to hearing advice on Longboards :P

I am pretty sure I want a drop deck so something like: Landyachtz DH Race, Switch, and the Rayne Nemesis.

or a drop-through deck like: Loaded Dervish, Rayne Hellcat, Landyacthz Drop Wedge, Drop Speed, Nine Two Five.

or perhaps a double-dropped deck like: Rayne Demonseed.

or Wedged Speedboards like Landyactz Evo.

or a hybrid?

I'm really liking the Rayne Demonseed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cObQZbxCdKk
[/URL]
or the Rayne Hustler: [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ksjqFm-Etk (http://www.raynelongboards.com/products/boards#killswitch)

(http://www.raynelongboards.com/products/boards#killswitch)

mips
May 30th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I thought you were talking about surf boards.

cariboo
May 30th, 2010, 10:09 AM
One of my nephews went to school with and still is friends with the guy that puts on these (http://coastlongboarding.com/) events.

My google fu is pretty crummy at this time of night, or I'd link to some pretty spectacular videos, on the Coqihalla Highway and Mt. Seymour Causwaway.

Fortunately, he's taken up riding his Yamaha R1, and flying rc airplanes instead.

murderslastcrow
May 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I long board all the time- used to get to work every day on one. I started with just regular skateboards, though, as a kid. You know, doin' tricks.

I love cruising, though. Got in a pretty bad accident once, but I'm built tough, unlike a Ford. Just gotta' live and learn, and take it slow, and eventually you'll become a Pokemon Master.... er, be able to longboard.. good.

fatality_uk
May 30th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Woah a skateboarding thread :) I used to ride War boards in the 80's, MAN I FEEL SO OLD lol *sob* Wish I could advise, but I am now old and fat and have no need to have any fun anymore :(

suncoup
May 30th, 2010, 12:04 PM
r

suncoup
May 30th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I've been skateboarding almost as long as I've had a computer (1983), and I LOVE longboarding. The only problem is I live in Miami, and there aren't too many hills to fly down. On the other hand, we DO have lots of funky parking garages, and those are way fun.

Are you prepared to receive some handed-down knowledge about longboarding? My biggest suggestion is to get an Original board. They have a special kind of truck, which is where the wheels attach. You change direction on most skateboards by putting your weight towards your toes or towards your heels, and this bends the truck at a socket joint that it has, which causes the wheels to bend. On every other board I've ever ridden, the socket is supported by a rubber bushing, which keeps it from bending over too easily (depending on how tightly it's screwed on). On Original trucks, the socket is supported by a spring. The big result is that you don't have to choose between having the bushings real tight--being stable--or having the bushings real loose, and being able to carve quickly. With springs, you can have both. So the board rides real steady, until you want to carve, and then it can carve in one lane of traffic. I'm talking about my Original pintail here, which is kinda long.

So I suggest you get something with springs on its trucks, instead of plastic bushings. And get a board that's a bit springy, which can help propel you forward if you do it right. I can move forward just by carving back and forth quickly on my board, I don't even have to push for blocks and blocks. Mind you, this is flat Florida here, but try one of these boards out, and you'll LOVE them!

pwnst*r
May 30th, 2010, 01:16 PM

Same. Too bad it's not.

HappinessNow
May 31st, 2010, 02:50 AM
I've been skateboarding almost as long as I've had a computer (1983), and I LOVE longboarding. The only problem is I live in Miami, and there aren't too many hills to fly down. On the other hand, we DO have lots of funky parking garages, and those are way fun.

Are you prepared to receive some handed-down knowledge about longboarding? My biggest suggestion is to get an Original board. They have a special kind of truck, which is where the wheels attach. You change direction on most skateboards by putting your weight towards your toes or towards your heels, and this bends the truck at a socket joint that it has, which causes the wheels to bend. On every other board I've ever ridden, the socket is supported by a rubber bushing, which keeps it from bending over too easily (depending on how tightly it's screwed on). On Original trucks, the socket is supported by a spring. The big result is that you don't have to choose between having the bushings real tight--being stable--or having the bushings real loose, and being able to carve quickly. With springs, you can have both. So the board rides real steady, until you want to carve, and then it can carve in one lane of traffic. I'm talking about my Original pintail here, which is kinda long.

So I suggest you get something with springs on its trucks, instead of plastic bushings. And get a board that's a bit springy, which can help propel you forward if you do it right. I can move forward just by carving back and forth quickly on my board, I don't even have to push for blocks and blocks. Mind you, this is flat Florida here, but try one of these boards out, and you'll LOVE them!

suncoup thanks for the insight and advise :P

HappinessNow
May 31st, 2010, 02:53 AM

Same. Too bad it's not.

Longboarding became popular alongside emerging surfing culture through the mid 1950s. Longboarding may have originated in California where the streets gave ground to many longboarders due to the rolling hills but some believe it is a product of Hawaiian origin. Although its origin is unknown, longboarding was first created as a land alternate for surfers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longboard_(skateboard)

Windows Nerd
May 31st, 2010, 02:55 AM

The general feedback at www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/ is that originals suck, but some love them.

Anyhow, I longboard too! A couple of friends got me into it, and now I use it to go everywhere...the only thing it lacks is a man page on standup slides :P...I have no idea how to do em but they look plenty fun.

HappinessNow
May 31st, 2010, 02:59 AM
The general feedback at www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/ is that originals suck, but some love them.

Anyhow, I longboard too! A couple of friends got me into it, and now I use it to go everywhere...the only thing it lacks is a man page on standup slides :P...I have no idea how to do em but they look plenty fun.

What kind of Longboard do you use?

Windows Nerd
May 31st, 2010, 03:09 AM
What kind of Longboard do you use?
LY Chilli Totem (a shorter version of thier Pintail). I live 20 mins away from Landyatchz, and I am about a half-hour to an hour (depending on traffic) from the Rayne store.