PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't "killall SIGUSR1 conky" work?

SnickerSnack
May 30th, 2010, 06:45 AM
I need to know why this happens:

zsharon@Weierstrass:~$ conky
Conky: forked to background, pid is 13786
zsharon@Weierstrass:~$
Conky: desktop window (22000a9) is subwindow of root window (109)
Conky: window type - normal
Conky: drawing to created window (0x2600001)
Conky: drawing to double buffer
killall SIGUSR1 conky
Conky: received SIGINT or SIGTERM to terminate. bye!
SIGUSR1: no process found
zsharon@Weierstrass:~$

Basically, I'm using killall to send SIGUSR1 to all conky processes, but it's just killing them. I found this given as way to have conky reload its config file, but it doesn't work. Is there another way to send SIGUSR1 to a process (preferably without needing the PID)?

All I really need to be able to do is make conky reload its config file and it's best if I don't need to have the PID at the time. Killing and then starting conky doesn't work well enough (it fails between 10% and 50% of the time depending on how the kill/start is implemented in my script, and I'm also looking how I might get around the error that causes that).

Thanks.

BoneKracker
May 30th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Try

killall -SIGUSR1 conky

Because you forgot the dash, it thinks you are trying to send killall -SIGTERM (which is the default) to two programs: conky and some program named "SIGUSR1". That's why it said, "SIGUSR1: no process found".

SnickerSnack
May 30th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Yeah, that was a mistake, but even the correct command has the same problems.

First, running the command several times in quick succession crashed X. So, I restarted X and then tried again.

I ran the command twice, and it work great the first time and simply closed (or crashed) conky the second time. So, I ran conky in a terminal and watched the output as I ran 'killall -SIGUSR1 conky'. It worked a few times and then caused the same error I've been seeing:

Conky: X Error: type 0 Display 9169648 XID 75497473 serial 317 error_code 1 request_code 0 minor_code 0 other Display: 9169648

I've asked about this error in the Desktop Environment subforum.

Edit: Due to the error I'm getting, 'killall -SIGUSR1 conky' cannot be used more than once without crashing conky, and repeated use is needed for my application.

BoneKracker
May 30th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Well, I wouldn't call that "the same problems".

I suggest you try SIGHUP and see what happens.

Since you've asked about this new problem in an otherwise duplicate thread, you should probably mark this one solved.

SnickerSnack
May 30th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I was able to fix my original problem a different way.

Though, I'd still like to know why

killall -SIGUSR1 conky

causes this error

Conky: X Error: type 0 Display 88a7820 XID 58720257 serial 493 error_code 16 request_code 10 minor_code 0 other Display: 88a7820

BoneKracker
May 30th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Sorry, but I don't know.

FYI, it's considered bad form to create duplicate threads, even if they are in different forums. Also, this question really isn't germane to programming.

Glad you got your problem sorted out.

SnickerSnack
May 30th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Sorry, but I don't know.

Maybe someone else does.

FYI, it's considered bad form to create duplicate threads, even if they are in different forums.

I don't think this thread is a duplicate of the other one, but that is just my opinion.

Also, this question really isn't germane to programming.

That may be. Feel free to 'report' the thread and invite a mod to move to a more appropriate forum if one exists. The thread was partially about bash scripting, which is a language afaik, and "any programming language is allowed".

Glad you got your problem sorted out.

Thanks.