PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sharing /Home with Windows?

Nick_Jinn
May 30th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I am pretty much over Windows, but some of my family are still a little hesitant to give it up until they know all their hardware is compatible.

The family machine has a virus, and when I visit next week i will be salvaging their system with linux, and I may even be installing linux on it....I dont know how big their hard drive is so it may be a small partition unless I can share with windows....yeah, I know you can read windows files, but that doesnt solve the space issue unless you can post to the C drive or whatever it is in Windows.

Is this possible? Is there a neutral file system that they can share? Fat-32?

Can I have a very very small C drive, a very small /home file, and then a large shared drive? How would this work?

bildr
May 30th, 2010, 02:52 AM
yes the can both read fat32, no you can't use that for the home partition. permissions problems WILL ensue and you may not even be able to boot X-server.

share a new partition.

Nick_Jinn
May 30th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Thats what I was getting at if you read the last line. Sharing a third partition (other than 2 for the OSs).

But how do I get everything to go there by default? Just do it program by program?

Mark Phelps
May 31st, 2010, 03:39 PM
I don't think that putting your /home directory on an NTFS partition will work. NTFS uses very different permission/security schemes from Linux. While Linux can use NTFS filesystems, NTFS can't accommodate the needs of Linux. Don't be surprised if you then get filesystem problems after doing that.

oldfred
May 31st, 2010, 05:28 PM
My original install now about 4 years ago just had root, swap and a shared (then FAT, now NTFS) partition for data I needed/wanted in both.

Mount, hide & link windows partition
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1397508
Share Windows partition:
http://lifehacker.com/348858/use-a-single-data-store-when-dual-booting

I just mounted the shared partition in /home as another folder. I then changed/moved my firefox & thunderbird profiles to the shared partition and modified both windows & Ubuntu's profile.ini to see the new location. I put all photo's in the shared and picasa found them with a few settings to tell it to look there. I then set a .bat file to copy a few files where programs insisted on saving to their own directory, just so I had all my important windows data in the shared & could back it up easily. I never saved anything to My Docs if I could help it even before I had Ubuntu. I still have my shared as I have one or two things I still use XP for, but now most of my data is in Ubuntu and now I have /data ext3 partition for that.

Nick_Jinn
May 31st, 2010, 07:52 PM
Can I have a very very small C drive, a very small /home file, and then a large shared drive? How would this work?

The first two posters didnt address this portion of my post. Here I was not talking about sharing home but how to make a third partition the default for the download and filing destinations for both OSs.

My original install now about 4 years ago just had root, swap and a shared (then FAT, now NTFS) partition for data I needed/wanted in both.

Mount, hide & link windows partition
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1397508
Share Windows partition:
http://lifehacker.com/348858/use-a-single-data-store-when-dual-booting

I just mounted the shared partition in /home as another folder. I then changed/moved my firefox & thunderbird profiles to the shared partition and modified both windows & Ubuntu's profile.ini to see the new location. I put all photo's in the shared and picasa found them with a few settings to tell it to look there. I then set a .bat file to copy a few files where programs insisted on saving to their own directory, just so I had all my important windows data in the shared & could back it up easily. I never saved anything to My Docs if I could help it even before I had Ubuntu. I still have my shared as I have one or two things I still use XP for, but now most of my data is in Ubuntu and now I have /data ext3 partition for that.

Thanks. I will look into that.