PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Completely Reinstalling Compiz in Lucid

May 30th, 2010, 01:18 AM
I've been having a problem with my main user account ever since I installed Lucid where after I enter my login credentials, the desktop always freezes. Since I've been having this problem, I created another user and have been able to login fine with this one. I have determined that the problem is with compiz, so I want to completely reinstall compiz, including any configuration settings. However, there seem to be a number of packages that go with compiz so I'm not sure what steps I can follow to accomplish this. Can anyone tell me the steps I need to take?

hok00age
May 30th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I've been having a problem with my main user account ever since I installed Lucid where after I enter my login credentials, the desktop always freezes. Since I've been having this problem, I created another user and have been able to login fine with this one. I have determined that the problem is with compiz, so I want to completely reinstall compiz, including any configuration settings. However, there seem to be a number of packages that go with compiz so I'm not sure what steps I can follow to accomplish this. Can anyone tell me the steps I need to take?

Run:

sudo apt-get purge compiz*

cd $HOME && rm -rf .compiz/ .config/compiz/

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:compiz/ppa && sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get install compiz

Hope it helps
Regards :)

May 30th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Thanks for the quick response hok00age. I followed the steps and it worked for reinstalling compiz... but the login problem persists. I'm not sure what will fix it at this point, but I appreciate your help.

bildr
May 30th, 2010, 03:16 AM
there was a problem with libplymouth that caused this symptom for a while, make sure you are up to date

May 30th, 2010, 04:06 AM
there was a problem with libplymouth that caused this symptom for a while, make sure you are up to date

Amazing. After many, many hours spent trying to figure out this problem, one little package reinstall fixed everything. Thank you bildr!