PDA

View Full Version : shrink partitions in windows

rap3point0
May 30th, 2010, 01:07 AM
I am going to setup for dual-boot with Ubuntu, but need to shrink the windows 7 partition. The partition is defragmented already, but windows will only shrink it to 113 gigs when it also says 98 gigs are free. I would guess there is an unmovable file in the way is there a way to get around this.
Thanks in advance

stinger30au
May 30th, 2010, 01:08 AM
the ubuntu installer will shrink it for you, you just need to tell the installer how much u want to be set aside for ubuntu and it will do the rest

darkod
May 30th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Uhhh... you better search windows forums and tutorials for that.
I think it was System Restore, you know, saving the restore points if you wanna go back. Disable the option and I think it will allow you to shrink more.

BUT NOTE: I think disabling the setting removes all currently existing restore points, so think whether you need any of them. And also, I'm not 100% sure this is the reason it can't shrink more.

The option was somewhere in Advanced System settings, System Protection tab.

darkod
May 30th, 2010, 01:11 AM
the ubuntu installer will shrink it for you, you just need to tell the installer how much u want to be set aside for ubuntu and it will do the rest

Yeap, but that can also corrupt windows because it likes to do its disk checks after a resize, and the ubuntu installer will continue to install ubuntu right away. Doing the resize first as separate step is best option, if possible.

rap3point0
May 30th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I planned on having a shared partition and /home partition too I am not sure Ubuntu installer can do that automatically.

darkod
May 30th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I planned on having a shared partition and /home partition too I am not sure Ubuntu installer can do that automatically.

Spot on, it can do only standard root + swap setup with the guided methods.

Mark Phelps
May 31st, 2010, 03:41 PM

Please don't advise folks to do this. They run the risk of corrupting their Win7 partition in the process. Much safer approach is to use the Win7 Disk Management tool.