PDA

View Full Version : What kind of engineer makes electronics?

TheNerdAL
May 29th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I want to make computer and electronics but I don't know what kind of engineer does that, thanks! :D

sydbat
May 29th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I want to make computer and electronics but I don't know what kind of engineer does that, thanks! :DI hope this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_engineering) helps.

wojox
May 29th, 2010, 11:15 PM
You answered your own question. :)

Sporkman
May 29th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I want to make computer and electronics but I don't know what kind of engineer does that, thanks! :D

An electrical engineer.

Flaky
May 29th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Does anyone know what kind of Engineer makes Dispensers?

TheNerdAL
May 29th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks guys! :D

McRat
May 29th, 2010, 11:23 PM
A Chinese one.

-grubby
May 29th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Does anyone know what kind of Engineer makes Dispensers?

http://www.tfportal.de/gfx/content/tf2/guidepics/engiguide/01_engineer.jpg

TheNerdAL
May 29th, 2010, 11:26 PM
http://www.tfportal.de/gfx/content/tf2/guidepics/engiguide/01_engineer.jpg

I'm surprise you can post pics with a bear eating you. Take that Superman!

betrunkenaffe
May 29th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Need a dispenser here!

cguy
May 29th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I'm not so sure an electrical engineer designs much of computers and other electronic dongles.

It takes a team for those things!
Some will create the logical circuits (using VHDL, Verilog etc.), some create the software for the chips (eg: programmers for PICs/AVRs/other chips), some are into the electronics (i.e. electrical engineers) etcetera.

What are you interested in?

TheNerdAL
May 29th, 2010, 11:48 PM
I'm not so sure an electrical engineer designs much of computers and other electronic dongles.

It takes a team for those things!
Some will create the logical circuits (using VHDL, Verilog etc.), some create the software for the chips (eg: programmers for PICs/AVRs/other chips), some are into the electronics (i.e. electrical engineers) etcetera.

What are you interested in?

Computers, phones, gadgets, etc.

betrunkenaffe
May 29th, 2010, 11:52 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_engineering

FuturePilot
May 30th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Need a dispenser here!

Spy sappin' my dispenser.

Flaky
May 30th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Spy sappin' my dispenser.

http://i46.tinypic.com/117g200.jpg

stinger30au
May 30th, 2010, 01:11 AM

an electronics engineer

*NOT*

an electrical engineer

pwnst*r
May 30th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Hook, line, and sinker.

lostinxlation
May 30th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Electronic devices contain chips, boards, software/firmware, boxes.
Someone architects the system and defines the spec, someone designs the chips, someone decides which semiconductor process to use, someone designs the board, someone writes the software/firmware, someone tests on the system, ....
It's not one man job.

Khakilang
May 30th, 2010, 04:23 AM
The Japanese!

Yes
May 30th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Computer engineer, and perhaps an electrical engineer.

kpholmes
May 30th, 2010, 07:21 AM
all you got to do is get a hold of foxconn, give 'em the specifics and lots of $ or €, or maybe some of these 元 (they'll like that!) anyways they will make it, you slap a sticker on the side and call it yours and your in the money doing big business.

step 1 - underpants

step 2 -

step 3 - PROFIT!

no need to make the products, just sell 'em with your name on it! like apple and so many other electronic companies who outsource their stuff. granted apple makes their own software..... based of unix... let me get it right. they make nice phones and user interfaces.

lisati
May 30th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I might be mistaken, but:

I imagine an electronic engineer to figure out some of the circuitry inside my gadgets, while the electrical engineer deals with the gadgets that get the electricity delivered to my gadgets.

lostinxlation
May 30th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I'm a chip designer and my experience tells that one of the important qualifications for chip design is knowledge of electrical circuit. Inside the chips, the clock networks and logic nodes are periodically being charged and discharged, which is by nature AC circuit and most of the analysises are done electrically rather than electronically. So, at least you need to know how the circuit behaves with impedance. Of course, knowing the boolean function and basic timing anslysis skill are must. Then, ability to use the tools, i.e. writing verilog/vhdl codes, how to use the tools from Synopsys, Cadence, Magma, and Mentor, and some scripting skills make your life easier.

Then rest of the required skills depends on what you design. If you design the microprocessors, you have to have a good understanding about computer architectures. If you are designing media chips, you probably need to know the basis of DCT and related algorithms. If you design network chips for telecom application, you probably need to know signal processing such as Fourier Transform and Digital filter.

mips
May 30th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I might be mistaken, but:

I imagine an electronic engineer to figure out some of the circuitry inside my gadgets, while the electrical engineer deals with the gadgets that get the electricity delivered to my gadgets.

Electronic engineer = low current mostly
Electrical engineer = heavy current mostly

Other people that also work in the field that did not study for an .Eng degree are people that studied a B.Sc (&higher)with subjects related to the field.

Frak
May 30th, 2010, 10:02 AM
The safe kind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW9dzKaEqnQ

I figured since your question was kinda answered, I'd give some advice.

jdunn
July 13th, 2010, 10:39 PM

The kind who lives in India, China or Taiwan, because that's where American corporations now outsource many of those jobs to instead of hiring locally :frown:

chriswyatt
July 13th, 2010, 11:07 PM
If an electronic engineer makes electronics, why doesn't a mechanical engineer make mechanicals? :S

EDIT: Oh wait, mechanical can refer to an mechanical object. Dumb comment :)

seanelly
July 13th, 2010, 11:11 PM

One of the more nerdy and reclusive ones that isn't a phys. eng..