PDA

View Full Version : Wow, this ROCKS!

ardchoille
March 24th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I ran across this little gem and thought I'd let the community know about it - if they didn't already know ;)

Have a look at: http://www.nautopia.net/archives/es/linux_distribuciones/custom/livecd_collection.php

It's a project that allows you to make your own custom LiveCD/LiveDVD and it's really simple. I'm not the smartest kid on the block and I used this method to make my own custom LiveDVD in under 10 minutes, minus the ISO downloads that I wanted to include. My custom LiveDVD has Damn Small Linux, knoppix, MEPIS, PCLinuxOS, System Rescude CD, and Ubuntu 5.10 LiveCD on it.

Here is the reasoning behind my choice of distros:

1) Damn Small Linux - for a light Linux desktop on older equipment.
2) knoppix - Because you just can't beat knoppix.
3) MEPIS - I like MEPIS.
4) PCLinuxOS - This distro plays every type of media file I threw at it.. and that is "right-out-of-the-box".
5) System Rescue CD - For a very small and light CLI environment with frame buffer mode and networking support on almost any equipment.
6) Ubuntu 5.10 LiveCD - Because I gotta have my Ubuntu :)

I carry some LiveCD's with me everywhere I go because I love Linux and lots of places let me use LiveCD's (library, internet cafe, friend's computers, etc.) and now I only have to carry one LiveDVD with me instead of several LiveCD's.

Here's the deal. Download the custom live cd package (http://www.nautopia.net/estaticos/descargas/customlivecd.zip), unpack it and you'll find a build environment already setup with many distros, you can see a list of the supported distros at the bottom of the project webpage. All you need to do is download the distros you want and place the proper files from those distros in the proper places in the custom cd tree - the website even shows you where to place the files. Edit a few text files (grub and menu.lst), run the included script to make the ISO, burn it to CD/DVD and you're set. The website even has links to the supported distros and adding other distros was easy. This is awesome. Now I know how those magazine publishers make the custom CD's/DVD's they include in their magazines. I am assuming that the only limitation is space - 700Mb for a CD, 4Gb for a DVD and 8Gb for a dual layer DVD, that's a lot of distros.

This was quite a find and the developer did an awesome job on it. Does anyone know of other projects like this?

welders4linux
March 24th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Great Find!

...Im trying to convert everybody I know to linux and this will be a great asset

:)

Al3xanR0
March 31st, 2006, 06:02 PM
Squeeet!!!