PDA

View Full Version : How the "Cloud computing" will affect the OSS?

alexan
May 29th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I am talking about this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing).
The strongest power of the OSS, was the ability for everyone get in the gears of their own machine/software.

Open the box.

Now, this "box" is evolving and our PCs are returning to their former past: client terminal. How do you think the OSS will evolve when software are no longer under the analytical eyes of the users?

MooPi
May 29th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I will not give up my power of ownership and control to the cloud. Period end of story. I will do email though.

kamaboko
May 29th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I don't like this.

"Details are abstracted from the users who no longer have need of expertise in, or control over the technology infrastructure in the cloud that supports them"

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 29th, 2010, 10:03 PM
There are things like a Private Cloud. Check out http://www.ubuntu.com/cloud/private. You keep control of your own network and servers. I will not give up that control to anyone.

Edit: and you can get Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud for free.

Flaky
May 29th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Cloud Computing never has worked, and currently doesn't work. Maybe if technology gets faster and more advanced, but right now it's a joke. Besides, it's too abnormal for the average person. What are you planning on doing? Set up a supercomputer to map the weather on your smart phone?

lostinxlation
May 29th, 2010, 10:32 PM
i guess philosophy of OSS won't be affected. THe difference is who installs the software,, individuals or those providing the servers.

alexan
May 30th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I will not give up my power of ownership and control to the cloud. Period end of story. I will do email though.
Me too, but this is not enough to stop an evolution. Willing or not, the cloud computing is getting more and more resource.
Think about things like valve's Steam canalized the attention of many linux gamer around there.
What about gaming for linux when game will be available through video streaming in firefox?
Play HalfLife 4 in highest video detail from an old core duo 2Ghz desktop or even a netbook of about 1.6Ghz (video streamed at 1024x800 resolution)?

Pay monthly subscription: you will never-never own (or backup) the game, but you can play it even from your smartphone.
All you need is: a login, a password, internet connection.

Somewhat scaring, somewhat amusing.

YuiDaoren
May 30th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Unless there's some group going around and replacing PCs with cloud computing client machines, I think the total effect of FOSS will be: Nill.

It's an interesting idea, cloud computing. It will have an audience, to be sure. But it's clearly not the be-all end-all solution. Local computing power is both needed and desired, and FOSS will be around filling that need as always.

red_Marvin
May 30th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Keep yourself knowledgeable and delve into the inner workings of your system and they will only be able to take control when you relinquish it.

Frogs Hair
May 30th, 2010, 03:25 PM

+1 I don't think companies will give up their control either.

NMFTM
May 30th, 2010, 03:49 PM
+1 I don't think companies will give up their control either.
Look at all the companies that are begging to have their games distributed on Steam. While Steam isn't exactly cloud computing. It's a step in that direction.

Paqman
May 30th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Now, this "box" is evolving and our PCs are returning to their former past: client terminal.

No they aren't. Cloud computing is not new, we've been doing it for years. Dynamic websites are cloud computing. Webmail is cloud computing.

Just because an app does some of it's number crunching on the server, doesn't mean that we're going back to terminals. It just means that better apps will run on a wide variety of devices. There's still going to be a lot of cases where crunching your numbers locally is the best solution.

hellmet
May 30th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Cloud computing is an oxymoron. You don't compute sh** when you're on the cloud. You just wait for the server to throw at your face some of your data that took all of 2 years to upload in the first place.

Penguin Guy
May 30th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Not at all, you still have full control over your data - if you're worried bout this, use encryption.

NMFTM
May 30th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Just because an app does some of it's number crunching on the server, doesn't mean that we're going back to terminals
If that were the case, PHP would be a form of cloud computing.

red_Marvin
May 30th, 2010, 08:03 PM

PHP is a language, if used for CGI scripting, it all depends on what the scripts do, and where one draws the line.

Paqman
May 30th, 2010, 10:28 PM

It is. Certainly all web apps are cloud computing, you could argue that even the simplest server-side scripting is too.