PDA

View Full Version : Best setup for streaming video using Ubuntu?

McRat
May 29th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I have a HP "Home Server" thingy (it was a gift) that was supposed to play movies on any computer in the house. Eh... Choppy even at low res.

So for a "fun" project, I want to build a modestly priced Linux based Movie Server. It will hook both to the home LAN network, as well as directly to a HDMI video projector.

Some questions:

What HDMI video card can to it, without spending $500? I'm not going to play games, just store movies on the HDD and play them on command.

What "video capture" device works well, so I can take old VHS movies and store them on the server?

Does Linux support internal BlueRay players?

Will wireless-N be fast enough, or do I need to hardwire Ethernet?

Any suggestions for a motherboard and CPU?

cariboo
May 29th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I have a HP "Home Server" thingy (it was a gift) that was supposed to play movies on any computer in the house. Eh... Choppy even at low res.

So for a "fun" project, I want to build a modestly priced Linux based Movie Server. It will hook both to the home LAN network, as well as directly to a HDMI video projector.

Some questions:

What HDMI video card can to it, without spending $500? I'm not going to play games, just store movies on the HDD and play them on command.

I just recently bought an BFG Nvidia GT210 for $69.95CDN, it should be a bit cheaper for you. It has DVI HDMI Component and VGA outs.

What "video capture" device works well, so I can take old VHS movies and store them on the server?

Any analog TV tuner card should work, I have an MSI TV @nywhere and a Leadtek WinFast PVR2000, both work well

Does Linux support internal BlueRay players?

Due to licensing reason no.

Will wireless-N be fast enough, or do I need to hardwire Ethernet?

It should be, I perfer a wired connection

Any suggestions for a motherboard and CPU?

I use an atom powered Intel MB, I dont have the model number handy. For my next HTPC this (http://www.anitec.ca/product/13189/zotac-ionitx-c-u-nvidiadesktop-motherboard-ionitxcu) motherboard/cpu combo caught my eye.

McRat
May 29th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks!

Wow, that Zotac? M/B sure is small! Hmmm... that might be pretty slick to have sub-micro computer for this app.

cariboo
May 29th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I just had a look at playing blu-ray discs, have a look here (http://themediaviking.com/software/bluray-linux/).

There will be some retail applications in the Software Center when Maverick is released, one of them is PowerDVD, but so far its is only 32-bit and doesn't support blu-ray playback.