PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome Menu background transparant

penguisher
May 29th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Hello everyone,

I know a lot of people posted a similar thread, but I am looking for something else. I have googled a lot and everything I found told me to use compiz and the opacity,brightness,saturation tool, but that is not what I am looking for.

I want to know if it is possible to have a 100% transparant background for the gnome menu, while the items like "Accessories" are NOT transparant.
I want it to look like your panel set to 100% transparant. If you do that you can still see the "Applications", "Places", "System".

When I use Compiz with the opacity,brightness,saturation tool and I set the popupmenu to opacity 0, my whole menu turns transparant so I can't see the menu items anymore.

I have also tried to use the GNOME Color Chooser application, but I can only change the color there not the opacity. I also tried to load a background images made in Gimp (just transparant and saved as png) that doesn't work either.

Just to make things clear:
http://j.imagehost.org/0177/menubar.png
I want the black menu to be transparant. But I want the items not to be transparant.

I have been searching for hours, but I simply can't find anyone who has done this. So I hope you can help me :) , or maybe it just isn't possible at all xD

moongia
May 29th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Hello everyone,

I know a lot of people posted a similar thread, but I am looking for something else. I have googled a lot and everything I found told me to use compiz and the opacity,brightness,saturation tool, but that is not what I am looking for.

I want to know if it is possible to have a 100% transparant background for the gnome menu, while the items like "Accessories" are NOT transparant.
I want it to look like your panel set to 100% transparant. If you do that you can still see the "Applications", "Places", "System".

When I use Compiz with the opacity,brightness,saturation tool and I set the popupmenu to opacity 0, my whole menu turns transparant so I can't see the menu items anymore.

I have also tried to use the GNOME Color Chooser application, but I can only change the color there not the opacity. I also tried to load a background images made in Gimp (just transparant and saved as png) that doesn't work either.

I have been searching for hours, but I simply can't find anyone who has done this. So I hope you can help me :) , or maybe it just isn't possible at all xD

are you trying to make the drop down menu transparant or the upper and lower panels?

penguisher
May 29th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I am sorry for not being clear.
I am trying to make the drop down menu transparent. The panels are already transparent.

But I only want the background of the drop down menu transparent, not the items of the drop down menu like "Accessories".

zlatkart
May 29th, 2010, 01:44 PM
you could turn off metacity compositing and install xcompmgr-dana. (makes all menus transparent)

penguisher
May 29th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Ok thank you for your fast reply,
At the moment I am using compiz in stead of metacity, but I will try to install xcompmgr-dana.

penguisher
May 30th, 2010, 01:09 AM
I tried to install xcompmgr-dana, I can only find xcompmgr so I installed that one. I have tried to find some information about that. Is it true that it replaces the normal gnome-panel / gnome-menu?? And is it true that you either use xcompmgr or compiz-fusion?

I am a little bit confused at the moment, I tried to switch back to metacity and then run xcompmgr but I can't see any difference.

Maybe I am doing it all wrong, do you know a nice tutorial about this?

hok00age
May 30th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Hello everyone,

Read this:
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/script-to-fix-panel-for-all-themes-at.html

Hope it works
Regards :)

penguisher
May 30th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Thx for your reply, but as far as I can see that a script is for making your panel transparant. My panel is already transparant.

hok00age
May 30th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Thx for your reply, but as far as I can see that a script is for making your panel transparant. My panel is already transparant.

Read:
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/enable-rgba-transparency-in-ubuntu-910.html

Hope it helps you
Regards :)

penguisher
May 31st, 2010, 06:14 PM
Thank you very much,
that is as close as I can get what I want at the moment. Now I will try to find out if it is possible to control the transparancy.

Greetz