PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Want to disable key to grab content area of window

pmooney78
May 29th, 2010, 09:18 AM
There's a movement key option in the Preferences -> Window Preferences settings that lets me choose which key to use to move a window by the content area. Problem is, the only options are the Control, Alt, and Super keys, and none of these is a good option: I have at least one application that wants to use each of these keys for something else.

I'd like to disable this completely, if possible. I'm perfectly happy only grabbing windows by their title bars to move them. If that's not possible, can I remap the key to something unlikely and bizarre (like ctrl-alt-shift-tab)?

Any help is much appreciated.

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 on an HP Pavilion dv6000 with 2GB of RAM and a Centrino Duo processor.

pmooney78
May 31st, 2010, 06:31 AM
bump

pmooney78
June 2nd, 2010, 12:41 AM
bump

Zemblan
June 2nd, 2010, 01:31 AM
Press Alt+F2. Run the command 'gconf-editor'. In the left pane of the editor navigate to apps -> metacity -> general. The setting you need to change is 'mouse_button_modifier'. Double click it and put a value in there like

<CONTROL><ALT><SHIFT>

Don't try to leave it blank, it has unfortunate effects.

pmooney78
June 3rd, 2010, 01:07 AM
Excellent! It works! Thank you so much!

ppolleunus
July 22nd, 2010, 01:37 AM
I don't know if it's the same problem.
After upgrading to 10.04, when I hit the left alt key, the "move" action is activated (same as when selecting it in the window menu).
I can launch some shortcuts but not all. Maybe only the ones configured in Compiz. In applications, none work. (I'm of course talking only about shortcuts using the alt key)
I modified "mouse_button_modifier" as explained here but it doesn't change anything.

FYI, I'm on a MacBook Pro.

This is really annoying so please help :-(

pmooney78
July 25th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Sorry, no idea myself ... it always helps to check the obvious, though. Are you dead sure it's not a physical problem with your keyboard? Do you have a USB keyboard you can [borrow and] plug in to check to see if it still happens?

Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions, myself. If that's not it, you're likely to get noticed better if you start a new thread, though. ;)