PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend me a Core Duo laptop?

mostwanted
March 24th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Preferably a relatively thin one (I'm not looking for a desktop replacement). Doesn't have to be one you've bought, no no, if you've read an install review or something where it seemed like most things worked please speak up as well.

I know this is probably too soon to ask as the Core Duo processor is still very young, but I'm looking into getting a laptop somewhere at the end of May / in the beginning of June...

petervk
March 24th, 2006, 04:20 PM
I like the Toshiba Satellite P100 series.

Has two things I would need in a laptop:
Intel Pro Wireless Chipset - Currently the newest Intel Pro Wireless chipset does not have full opensource drivers (they are still in beta, look on sourceforge) but Intel will eventually provide open-source drivers.
Nvidia Videocard - I have a Geforce 420 Go and its great. Nvidia's drivers are not open source but they are the best 3D/OpenGL drivers you can get for Linux. ATi doesn't hold a candle to them.

The Thinkpad T60 looks cool also, but no Nvidia. (ATi or Intel GMA 950)

Actually, if there was a good laptop with a Mobile AMD64 and an Nvidia Video Card that would probably be my favorite.

I have a Satellite and it's been going strong for over 3 years now. My first and only computer and it has always worked great. (except for Windows Registry problems, My fault: For mucking around with it and for using Windows)

fuscia
March 24th, 2006, 04:30 PM
the macbook pro (intel) is dual core. i haven't seen one, but if it's like the powerbooks, it's going to be pretty light and thin.

mostwanted
March 24th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I like the Toshiba Satellite P100 series.

Has two things I would need in a laptop:
Intel Pro Wireless Chipset - Currently the newest Intel Pro Wireless chipset does not have full opensource drivers (they are still in beta, look on sourceforge) but Intel will eventually provide open-source drivers.
Nvidia Videocard - I have a Geforce 420 Go and its great. Nvidia's drivers are not open source but they are the best 3D/OpenGL drivers you can get for Linux. ATi doesn't hold a candle to them.

The Thinkpad T60 looks cool also, but no Nvidia. (ATi or Intel GMA 950)

Actually, if there was a good laptop with a Mobile AMD64 and an Nvidia Video Card that would probably be my favorite.

I have a Satellite and it's been going strong for over 3 years now. My first and only computer and it has always worked great. (except for Windows Registry problems, My fault: For mucking around with it and for using Windows)

Hm, that laptop is just over 4 cm thick as far as I can see =/

I found some Asus laptops, the v6 series which have Nvidia graphics 15" screens and are pretty thin (something like 3 cm at most). It never ceases to amaze me how Apple can make core duo laptops that are 2½ cm thick and no one else can. Actually, I'd probably get one of those if it didn't have that EFI mess, ATI graphics and a hostile-to-Linux wlan card.

grenness
April 27th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Personally I have a crush for the (IBM) Lenovo X60s, where the s stands for slim.
The specific model I'm looking at is the Lenovo ThinkPad X60s 1704 - Core Duo L2400 1.66 GHz - 12.1" TFT.

It's dimensions are 26.8 cm x 21.1 cm x 2.8 cm (WxDxH)

Weight is 1.5kg

512Mb RAM

80Gb HDD

12.1" TFT XGA (no widescreen, which is fine by me on such a small laptop)

Intel GMA 950 graphic controller

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Bluetooth

4 cell battery

If anyone already has this computer or a similar with the same components, please update me with the verdict; is Dapper ok on this?

-Christopher

meborc
April 27th, 2006, 12:50 PM
512Mb RAM

did i see wrong, or is it possible to extend to 3GB... mmm... more power:mrgreen:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2701

looks sweet

ShanghaiTeej
April 27th, 2006, 02:36 PM
did i see wrong, or is it possible to extend to 3GB... mmm... more power:mrgreen:

looks sweet

My advice is wait a couple months until AMD releases its Turion 64 bit X2. It just makes sense. It's coming soon and gives you more bang for your buck than a centrino.......

grenness
April 28th, 2006, 09:56 AM

looks sweet

Well, according to the website of my hardware provider, max is 2GB (at least on the model I'm looking at) :

512 MB (installed) / 2 GB (max) - DDR II SDRAM - 667 MHz - PC2-5300

ariel
April 30th, 2006, 01:13 AM
The X60s is not OK yet, but an amazing team is working to make it happen. Most of the stuff already works (video, sound, wireless), some of it not yet but hopefully will in a couple of weeks.

Check here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/ThinkpadX60s

Ari

Personally I have a crush for the (IBM) Lenovo X60s, where the s stands for slim.
The specific model I'm looking at is the Lenovo ThinkPad X60s 1704 - Core Duo L2400 1.66 GHz - 12.1" TFT.

It's dimensions are 26.8 cm x 21.1 cm x 2.8 cm (WxDxH)

Weight is 1.5kg

512Mb RAM

80Gb HDD

12.1" TFT XGA (no widescreen, which is fine by me on such a small laptop)

Intel GMA 950 graphic controller

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Bluetooth

4 cell battery

If anyone already has this computer or a similar with the same components, please update me with the verdict; is Dapper ok on this?

-Christopher

drizek
April 30th, 2006, 02:35 AM
asus makes some kickass laptops, probably better than anyone else, and the prices are great for what you get.

Their 14" core duo though isnt as great as some of their older models, but it still beats the hell out of a dell/hp.

http://c9tech.com/buy/nfoscomm/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_36&products_id=94

google around, there are other asus resellers and you might be able to find a better price. BTW, the cool thing about asus is that you can buy them without windows.

brianmartin
May 17th, 2006, 11:18 PM
I ordered the X60s a few days ago and now as I read this thread, I'm really hoping that things will be working!