PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Eclipse

ahso4271
May 29th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Hi
Im confused on what to install. I downloaded Eclipse CDT 64bit from eclipse.org. And as far as i recall installed with ubunut 10.04 the gcc.

Now do i need anything else? like g++? what's the difference to gcc? and what about all those eclipse packages? apart java i don't need anything?

Many thanks
Michael

GregBrannon
May 29th, 2010, 11:03 AM
By Googling "Eclipse CDT", I found the site,

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-eclipse-stlcdt/

And at that location, I learned:

The Eclipse CDT is an Eclipse plug-in that transforms Eclipse into a powerful C/C++ IDE. It was designed to bring many of the great features Eclipse enjoyed by Java developers to C/C++ developers, such as project management, integrated debugging, class wizards, automated builds, syntax coloring, and code completion. When Eclipse is used as a Java IDE, it leverages and integrates with the JDK. Similarly, the CDT leverages and integrates with standard C/C++ tools, such as g++, make, and GDB. This has lead to it becoming very popular on Linux, where those tools are readily available and used for most C++ development.

There is much more info on the CDT at that site, including installation help and some getting-started tutorials.