PDA

View Full Version : [tutorial] How To convert units of measurement from one unit or system to another

astkboy2008
May 29th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Today i will learn you new way to convert units of measurement from one unit or system to another and we will use simple php class
first you should download it:Length Class (http://www.jooria.com/projects/view?project=987&m=downloads) or download the class source code:

convert.php [1.66 KB] (http://www.jooria.com/view/file/509/convert.php)
length.php [3.07 KB] (http://www.jooria.com/view/file/509/length.php)
length.xml [808 B] (http://www.jooria.com/view/file/509/length.xml)

now how we can use it?
For example, we can define the relationship between any unit of length by the number of that length per one meter.

1 m = 100 cm
With this ratio – which we can simply write as 100 – we can easily convert from meters to the new units. We can also convert from the unit cm back to meters by inverting the ratio – 1 / 100.The length class makes use of this simple principal. A data file (length.xml) contains information about each unit of measurement – an abbreviation, a full name, and this ratio. When the ‘length’ is constructed, it converts it from the given unit into the SI unit for length – meters.
You can then easily retrieve this length value in any other defined unit type.
Example Use

If you download the source code, it comes with a file “convert.php.” This isn’t part of the class – it just gives you an example of how to implement the class. Here’s a very simple example to show you the syntax for creating a new length instance and converting a value starting in centimeters to inches.
$len = new length(50, 'cm');
echo $len->getConversion('in') . 'in';
The length constructor takes three arguments – one required and two optional. The first argument is the value of your length (50 in this case). The second parameter is the abbreviation of the unit type (cm). If a unit is not sent, then it is assumed you’re creating a length in meters. The last argument is the path/filename to the “length.xml” data file. It’s assumed to be located in “length.xml” if a path isn’t given.
The constructor then converts that value into the standard unit – meters. getConversion() takes one argument – the new unit type. It takes the stored value (in meters) and returns it converted to the unit type you gave.Extending Length to Include Other UnitsThe data file included with the class is by no means intended to be exhaustive. In fact, it’s pretty limited at the moment. I will probably eventually update it with a more or less complete list of units.
However, it was created to be easily adaptable by the user. You could even make up new imaginary units (for use in a game, maybe). All you need to do is add a new entry to the xml data file with this format.

<unit>
<abbrev>cm</abbrev>
<ratio>100</ratio>
<fullName>centimeters</fullName>
</unit>

trent.josephsen
May 29th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Today i will learn you new way to convert units of measurement from one unit or system to another <snip>

That's "teach", not "learn".

On the whole, your English is not bad, but you need to learn to proofread. All 15 of your posts exhibit linguistic messiness, not only obscure English grammar mistakes (which are easy to make and will probably be forgiven) but very basic errors like omitting spaces betweenwords and periods at the ends of sentences

I admire your attempts to share knowledge of PHP, but if you want your material to be useful to others, please make an effort to clean it up. Not only is clearly presented material far more useful than messy stuff, but the care you take in presentation shows your audience how much you care about the topic. You will more probably be taken seriously if your posts show that you have put effort into them.

gmargo
May 29th, 2010, 05:36 PM
The point of all this is kind of lost on me, especially with a tiny conversion database.

For unit conversion, I prefer the classic unix utility units(1).

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/units

astkboy2008
May 30th, 2010, 03:01 PM
That's "teach", not "learn".

On the whole, your English is not bad, but you need to learn to proofread. All 15 of your posts exhibit linguistic messiness, not only obscure English grammar mistakes (which are easy to make and will probably be forgiven) but very basic errors like omitting spaces betweenwords and periods at the ends of sentences

I admire your attempts to share knowledge of PHP, but if you want your material to be useful to others, please make an effort to clean it up. Not only is clearly presented material far more useful than messy stuff, but the care you take in presentation shows your audience how much you care about the topic. You will more probably be taken seriously if your posts show that you have put effort into them.
this is great advice from big brother;
thank you
and many people told that to me
but not by this method
by saying to me i'm fool and stupid

Reiger
May 30th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Useless. Converting units like that has no purpose, because the result values are almost but not quite human readable. You'll get results like 1.25ft instead of 1ft 3in (12 inch to a foot, IIRC) or 1' 3".

So the only useful application would be in technical calculations; and at that point you really should be using SI end-to-end anyway. Otherwise you end up losing your spacecraft.